Explorer LA to Miami Panama Canal Jan 15-30

purpleally

I have immensely enjoyed when others post daily accounts of their cruise so I'm going to try to give it a go. Not sure I can be as funny nor entertaining but, hopefully, others on this cruise can jump in.

We flew from Michigan to LAX today. I booked three days early in case we had a snowstorm and worst case scenario, we rent a car and drive across country.

No snowstorm but an hour after we were in the air, most of Michigan was hit with freezing rain.

Flight was uneventful but an hour late due to weather in LA. Took Lyft to Hilton Long Beach where we are overlooking the busy Port of Long Beach.

Not quite 60 and rainy so not too enjoyable weather. We walked to the closest restaurant (half mile) for a late lunch. I think the rain will be gone tomorrow so we can walk around more. And, our friends are flying in from Myrtle Beach so we can start the fun early.

We are also now in LA, hanging out with friends pre-cruise, but having bumped into a couple of familiar faces in the hotel lobby last night, it feels like our Explorer experience is almost there. As always, I am blogging about our travels at http://www.elegantsufficiency.org and am looking forward to some sunshine!

See you on board purpleally!

Edited by Gilly

We, too, are looking forward to boarding the Explorer on Sunday. For us, it is an unusual experience as we are leaving from our hometown. It feels much more relaxed to not be facing "the airplane experience" until our return from Miami.

For now it is back to packing and organizing while we wait for our adventure to begin.

We, too, are looking forward to boarding the Explorer on Sunday. For us, it is an unusual experience as we are leaving from our hometown. It feels much more relaxed to not be facing "the airplane experience" until our return from Miami.

For now it is back to packing and organizing while we wait for our adventure to begin.

Anne hope you and Shel have a wonderful cruise. Best wishes, Jean and Bill.

The sun came out yesterday in Long Beach and the last two days have been great. After our friends arrived we went happy hour bar hopping yestersay. Gladstones on the water, Parkers lighthouse, also on the water and ended up at Rock Bottom Brewery which probably has the best happy hour, price wise, in Long Beach. We ended the evening very early (we are all on East coast time) but emptied a bottle of wine.

Today we walked from Shoreline Marina to Belmont Shores. A wonderful walking path along the water. We stopped at Belmont Brewery and met up with a friend who lives in Long Beach

He took us to Joe Josts, a truly dive bar, and drove us around Belmont Shores and Naples. Classic California. Stopped at a Greek restaurant on pine ave for happy hour at the bar. What a great bartender! She wants to go on the cruise with us!

The manager came over and was pouring four shots. I commented that someone was getting shots - turned out they were for us! Fellow Detroiter.

We finished up our afternoon with another bottle in our hotel room

Very excited to get on the ship tomorrow!!!!

I will look! Went to 8:00 Mass this morning. In Spanish, which is fitting since we will be hearing a lot of Spanish in the next two weeks!

Just have to re pack suitcase and check out. Trying to be patient but, for some reason, I would rather wait at the port than at the hotel. Trying to hold out for 11 and then we will get a Lyft ride.

A little cooler and a little more clouds today but, no rain! All is good

I will look! Went to 8:00 Mass this morning. In Spanish, which is fitting since we will be hearing a lot of Spanish in the next two weeks!

Just have to re pack suitcase and check out. Trying to be patient but, for some reason, I would rather wait at the port than at the hotel. Trying to hold out for 11 and then we will get a Lyft ride.

We were the same way before we boarded Explorer. We barely made it past 11 and we were definitely not the first people there [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it true you all don't depart LA until 9 PM? Seems a bit late but I guess you don't have far to go. We are hoping to go watch it sail away!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nine o'clock is the scheduled departure time.

Captain: Stan de Lacombe

GM: Franck Galzy and Michael Coghlan. Both are onboard until Jan 20 for handoff, and then Franck departs.

CD: Andy Heath. He shadowed John Baron for the past week

ACD: Olivia

Social Hostess: Tammy Heath

F&B: Mark (from Oceania)

DRM: Vladimir

Head Sommelier: Nixon

Lots of staff has just changed, but many familiar faces.

Edited by Anchorbuoy

The Explorer is magnificent. We had a lovely lunch outside La Veranda and we could not have asked for better service. Everyone is very welcoming. The suite is beautiful and I can't believe the storage . I know I won't want to get off in 14 days.

Promise not to say that "I told you so" - just happy that you are able to experience this truly lovely ship. I have a feeling that you will be like us and may book another Explorer cruise. We could live on that ship!