Seven Seas Society Benefits

Travelcat2

There is a discussion on another thread regarding a benefit that I know about but have not heard of anyone taking advantage of or even how they would take advantage of it.

Under the "Gold" designation (that would also apply to Platinum and Titanium), Regent lists: "Priority disembarkation at voyage completion in select ports".

My experience has been that passengers with Regent air and transportation are scheduled to get off of the ship at a certain time (to coincide with their flight times). Passengers doing their own air and transportation can get any time that would like do - they simply put in the time on their Disembarkation Form so that the luggage will be offloaded and ready (or, you can keep your own luggage overnight and walk off the ship as soon as it is cleared).

We needed to get off the ship in Miami ASAP due to booking an 11:20 a.m. flight out of Miami. A group of us were in the front of the line -- no one was asked what their Seven Seas Society status was (and no one seemed to care). The person next to us booked an even earlier flight so we told them to go ahead of us.

So, I would like to know if you have taken advantage of this benefit and, if so, how it works. Thanks much!

It will be interesting to hear if anybody has experience with this benefit.

However, it may be useful to point out that if the system doesn't work for you (stating your flight times and or preferred time), it is ultimately about luggage queuing and we've known people to carry their bags off. Once the ship has been cleared for embarkation by the port authorities, you can walk off anytime.

I've never understood why people are in such a rush to disembark. If you book an early flight that's your problem, not Regent's. And yes, according to the status gods we are entitled to this "benefit" but don't brag about it, or use it. As for the Seven Seas Society, don't get me started...

I've never understood why people are in such a rush to disembark. If you book an early flight that's your problem, not Regent's. And yes, according to the status gods we are entitled to this "benefit" but don't brag about it, or use it. As for the Seven Seas Society, don't get me started...

For once we agree! As it happens, we made our flight but the couple we planned on letting go in front of us did not (and ultimately suggested that we go first).

I would actually like to hear what you have to say about the Seven Seas Society benefits.

The purpose for my starting this thread is to learn if anyone has actually gotten priority disembarkation and how it worked.

I know that I'm not responding to the question that Tc asked, but wanted to respond to something that RR says. We do our air through Regent (so it sort of is "Regent's problem"). A while ago, we had booked a comfortable 1:00 flight home for our next cruise. As happens, the airlines changed the schedule and now instead of a comfortable 1:00 departure, it's 11:00 a.m. It's important for us to have a non-stop flight if at all possible (we often won't book if not; changing is difficult for my husband). I was surprised that the Regent air people said 11:00 was ok. I'll be pretty nervous about missing that flight (Barcelona), and for sure we'll need to be off the ship as early as possible (which I very much do not enjoy). This happened once before, and it was no problem stating in our disembarkation notes that we needed to be off early. Worked fine.

But, Tc, no, we've not requested early disembarkation as a Gold benefit.

Edited by poss

If you book air travel yourself and say it's booked at 1:00PM-later they change the time to 11:00AM-once that happens you have the right to call the airline and tell an earlier flight won't work for you, they will rebook you on the next flight after the 1:00PM time you had at no additional cost to you.

If you book air travel yourself and say it's booked at 1:00PM-later they change the time to 11:00AM-once that happens you have the right to call the airline and tell an earlier flight won't work for you, they will rebook you on the next flight after the 1:00PM time you had at no additional cost to you.

If there is only one flight a day the costs of hotel and day of (if you still work) are yours. Or the next flight is no direct or very late????

There is a discussion on another thread regarding a benefit that I know about but have not heard of anyone taking advantage of or even how they would take advantage of it.

Under the "Gold" designation (that would also apply to Platinum and Titanium), Regent lists: "Priority disembarkation at voyage completion in select ports".

..............................So, I would like to know if you have taken advantage of this benefit and, if so, how it works. Thanks much!

We have never taken advantage of this benefit and must admit that we cannot understand when/how this would ever be of use

A more useful Gold benefit would be early access to your suite on embarkation (as with the top level suites)

Have you tried asking your TA?.............or would it be worth an email to Jason O'Keefe in order to clarify what Regent were intending when this 'benefit' was introduced?

If there is only one flight a day the costs of hotel and day of (if you still work) are yours. Or the next flight is no direct or very late????

Good point! When American Airlines changed our flight time out of Miami, their was no availability on later flights. This seems to happen a lot with flights within Europe. For instance, we almost always can get flights from Heathrow or Frankfurt to Vancouver but the flights from the port city to Heathrow, Frankfurt, etc. are full.

In terms of this "benefit", I would like to see it removed from the listing (and something else added) since it seems as if no one uses it and it is not something that is necessary.

In terms of "wiggle room", I think that most of us try to leave extra time. We booked our flight out of Miami 5 hours and 20 minutes after our scheduled arrival at the port (6:00 a.m.) We were not aware that Miami's unionized workers would not start unloading luggage until 7:00 a.m. (very slowly) and no one could disembark until all of the luggage was off of the ship. This typically takes until at least 9:00 a.m. Since Regent passengers are told they must be off of the ship by 9:00 a.m. it is easy to make the mistake that we did. In the case of Miami, IMO, you need a lot more wiggle room than in other ports but need to know that months in advance of your cruise in order to get a choice of flights.

In terms of Regent Air vs. booking on your own, I've had many more problems booking on our own (which we only do on domestic flights). If you book with Regent and sometimes goes awry, Regent will rebook flights for you.

flossie, I would contact Regent if I cared about the benefit. In terms of going to your suite early, this "new" benefit for upper does not seem to be working well. When passengers are not off of the ship until 9:00 a.m., even having the upper suites available seems to be difficult. We went to our suite at noon as is the policy, and things looked good but certain things were not complete and/or there were items missing that should have been there. Since there are thousands of Gold and above, I don't that this is doable.

Edited by Travelcat2

I agree with the OP. This is a bogus benefit and should be removed from the list. I am Gold on Regent and have not used this benefit, and believe it is impractical to offer it. In my experience, the cruise lines get people off the boat anyway they can. I believe they really try to match up people who have early flights, but they also allow anyone with a reason (like carrying your own luggage) off as soon as they can, if you ask them nicely. On Celebrity and RCI, they have Elite lounges that get to go off with the first cattle call, but it is not much of a benefit, as they typically call numbers and colors very quickly. On our last Regent in New York after a Canal cruise, all colors were called in less than 30 minutes, so I do not think priority is of much value.

In 25 cruises I have never had a great last day experience. I have had some very bad ones and some stressful ones. For the past 10 years, I have dealt with that by trying to be the last one off. By the security count there were only 20 behind us at that New York departure. You can do this by booking a later flight or train; by driving to the port if possible, or by staying over in your debarkation port. I started doing this after a particularly bad experience at San Diego in 2005 after a trans-canal. After 6 hours in a small airport with two ship loads of people, I said never again.

So even if Regent lets you off first, the last guy is only 30 minutes behind you. So perk(?) I don't think so.

Good point! When American Airlines changed our flight time out of Miami, their was no availability on later flights. This seems to happen a lot with flights within Europe. For instance, we almost always can get flights from Heathrow or Frankfurt to Vancouver but the flights from the port city to Heathrow, Frankfurt, etc. are full.

In terms of this "benefit", I would like to see it removed from the listing (and something else added) since it seems as if no one uses it and it is not something that is necessary.

In terms of "wiggle room", I think that most of us try to leave extra time. We booked our flight out of Miami 5 hours and 20 minutes after our scheduled arrival at the port (6:00 a.m.) We were not aware that Miami's unionized workers would not start unloading luggage until 7:00 a.m. (very slowly) and no one could disembark until all of the luggage was off of the ship. This typically takes until at least 9:00 a.m. Since Regent passengers are told they must be off of the ship by 9:00 a.m. it is easy to make the mistake that we did. In the case of Miami, IMO, you need a lot more wiggle room than in other ports but need to know that months in advance of your cruise in order to get a choice of flights.

In terms of Regent Air vs. booking on your own, I've had many more problems booking on our own (which we only do on domestic flights). If you book with Regent and sometimes goes awry, Regent will rebook flights for you.

flossie, I would contact Regent if I cared about the benefit. In terms of going to your suite early, this "new" benefit for upper does not seem to be working well. When passengers are not off of the ship until 9:00 a.m., even having the upper suites available seems to be difficult. We went to our suite at noon as is the policy, and things looked good but certain things were not complete and/or there were items missing that should have been there. Since there are thousands of Gold and above, I don't that this is doable.

---------

The bane of Cruise Lines' is the Air component--over which Lines have little control. Thus, on many occasions, this informs disembarkation times, which can vary beyond the usual 8:00-9:00am timeframe. See below. First, agree this supposed benefit at Gold, and higher levels has little relevance to the real world, based on numerous previous experiences and reason(s) detailed by others which will not be repeated.

The following comment, while "bleeding" a bit into a series of CC postings made on the thread related to our upcoming March-April Explorer Miami/Barcelona/Venice cruise, remains relevant on this thread.

It may be that we will set an all-time record (not one sought) as to "expedited" early disembarkation at Venice on April 19th. Original air reservations obtained through Regent and coordinated with our TA were made many, many months ago--which turned out to be fortunate. Thus, Regent is responsible for arranging changes. HOWEVER, Regent assumes no responsibility if a change requires an additional hotel night at that disembarkation site city due to such changes; or whatever additional stops are necessary to return passengers to their homes. This is just the reality of foreign travel back to the USA, Canada, or wherever else.

Specific situation. Sue and I will certainly obtain "expedited" disembarkation treatment on 04/19 from Explorer at Venice--probably at 0400H. You got that right.

Reason: Delta canceled the original flight which would have allowed a reasonable, and comfortable early PM departure from Venice Airport; one stop at JFK, then to Seattle. Simply, went "poof". Fortunately, our TA responded by getting us on a KLM flight departing Venice at 0600H; via Amsterdam, then to Seattle. You bet'cha. we. along with assumed other couples similarly affected by Delta's flexibility to cancel flights, will meet at an Explorer departure point--with our luggage. A bit bleary-eyed. But, Sue and I will have room service even-earlier on April 19th to fortify us with coffee and oat meal. Transportation to Venice Airport for that 0600H departure. Well, there goes the opportunity for a nice Lounge "intermission" before boarding.

Just some thoughts to be considered by others: Constantly review supposed air reservations made either through Regent, or on your own. Things continually change. In the best of all possible worlds--Delta will re-initiate that 1330H flight from Venice. Let us hope.

Regards,

GOARMY!

GOARMY - definitely agree with you. Regent has no control over what airlines do.

I'm a bit uncertain what this part of your post means "It may be that we will set an all-time record (not one sought) as to "expedited" early disembarkation at Venice on April 19th". As has been said, anyone with an early flight can have expedited early disembarkation. Do you plan on keeping your luggage with you and disembarking as soon as the ship is cleared? If so, I suggest you stand by the place where you will disembark. This is what we did on the Explorer last month. Had we not been in the front of the line, we would not have received early disembarkation (despite the fact that we are Platinum and were in a Grand Suite).

Really hope that you make your flight. Also hope that we are able to meet you during or prior to this journey (we will only be onboard until Barcelona).

GOARMY - definitely agree with you. Regent has no control over what airlines do.

I'm a bit uncertain what this part of your post means "It may be that we will set an all-time record (not one sought) as to "expedited" early disembarkation at Venice on April 19th". As has been said, anyone with an early flight can have expedited early disembarkation. Do you plan on keeping your luggage with you and disembarking as soon as the ship is cleared? If so, I suggest you stand by the place where you will disembark. This is what we did on the Explorer last month. Had we not been in the front of the line, we would not have received early disembarkation (despite the fact that we are Platinum and were in a Grand Suite).

Really hope that you make your flight. Also hope that we are able to meet you during or prior to this journey (we will only be onboard until Barcelona).

-----

Believe me--this matter will be coordinated well in advance with Regent staff, beginning shortly after our 03/26 Miami departure. Actually, probably mentioned to Regent "Top Brass" management on-board during the Barcelona-Venice segment. Of course, in a very-professional manner by a retired Army Officer and his good Army wife.

In the broader context: this remains a First World situation which is not Regent's fault. Regent has to deal with the result. It has been our experience Regent folks well-realize realities of airlines' canceling flights. This will be "nailed-down" while onboard as to logistics.

Sue and I will get beyond this minor situation. Will be First Class on KLM while back to USA. On the bright-side, we will land at Seattle about five hours earlier than originally expected on 04/19.

The above will not diminish our expectation of enjoying the Explorer experience; or continuing w/Regent onboard Navigator for a May-June Miami-Amazon cruise.

Yes: Let's plan to meet during the Miami-Barcelona segment.

Regards to all

GOARMY!

GO ARMY: While we sympathize with your very early departure on the 19th, this won't be anything hard to arrange since the ship docks (and clears) in Venice the day before. We've known people to depart anytime from late night before to early morning of a final overnight port.

There are pros and cons to most air arrangements out of Venice. Many are very early like yours. We fly out at 1000 on the 19th (good) with a 50 minute connection in Zurich (not so good, but one of the best airports in Europe for a tight connection). We may end up with an unexpected visit to Zurich (OK, since we harvested visited there).

What branch were you? Engineer here.

GO ARMY: While we sympathize with your very early departure on the 19th, this won't be anything hard to arrange since the ship docks (and clears) in Venice the day before. We've known people to depart anytime from late night before to early morning of a final overnight port.

There are pros and cons to most air arrangements out of Venice. Many are very early like yours. We fly out at 1000 on the 19th (good) with a 50 minute connection in Zurich (not so good, but one of the best airports in Europe for a tight connection). We may end up with an unexpected visit to Zurich (OK, since we harvested visited there).

What branch were you? Engineer here.

---------

Good information. Thanks. Really, I have no worries, and will rely on my good Army wife, Sue, to deal with any inconveniences. A minor situation, in the context of history.

Combat unit in Vietnam was 1st Infantry Division ("Big Red One"), "Grunt" Platoon Leader, 1541 MOS. Then, subsequently in Military Intelligence until retirement. No more on this, until we meet onboard.

Regards to all--

Jim

Just got our air for this cruise today; four of us coming back to Charlotte from Venice, Regent booked two of us on the 0600 flight through LHR and two on the 0745 through MUC. Called my TA who had Regent get us all on the same flight, now departing VCE at 0955. Much better. Won't need to disembark at oh-dark-thirty.

---------

Good information. Thanks. Really, I have no worries, and will rely on my good Army wife, Sue, to deal with any inconveniences. A minor situation, in the context of history.

Combat unit in Vietnam was 1st Infantry Division ("Big Red One"), "Grunt" Platoon Leader, 1541 MOS. Then, subsequently in Military Intelligence until retirement. No more on this, until we meet onboard.

Regards to all--

Jim

---------

Before I am called-out on this: My Vietnam Officer MOS was 1542. [Not 1541 as originally posted.] This distinction will be appreciated for others of our era as to anyone wearing a CIB.

Regards, again. Jim B.

Just got our air for this cruise today; four of us coming back to Charlotte from Venice, Regent booked two of us on the 0600 flight through LHR and two on the 0745 through MUC. Called my TA who had Regent get us all on the same flight, now departing VCE at 0955. Much better. Won't need to disembark at oh-dark-thirty.

--------

Thanks for the info. I will make another attempt through our TA in the early AM (Wednesday) for later AM Venice departure which does not entail two, or three further stops before arrival at Seattle. Probably, at this point, a fool's errand.

Regards,

GOARMY!

With the Regent flight booking when it is a very early am departure does Regent still provide the transport to airport even though you may be the only people flying so early?

For Venice it won't take you long at all to the airport when you disembark so early, traffic may be slightly lighter on the roads. Jean.

With the Regent flight booking when it is a very early am departure does Regent still provide the transport to airport even though you may be the only people flying so early?

For Venice it won't take you long at all to the airport when you disembark so early, traffic may be slightly lighter on the roads. Jean.

We don't use Regent air, but on the occasions when we had a very early flight to catch and had to disembark very early (we carry off our own luggage in this situation), I have seen buses waiting for people with Regent included transfers waiting to load. Lima Peru and Istanbul both come to mind. So yes, I think they provide the transfer even if it is very early if you are using Regent air.