Club class dining...who agrees

envy4u

Does anyone think Princess is going to a two tier class system? I'll be writing a letter of disapproval. There is power in numbers so if you disagree too I suggest you write a letter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, won't get my vote!

All other cruise lines offer a form of this and Princess is just a little late to come to the table. I think it is a great idea and people will pay for the "extras". We have and will on future cruises with Princess as we have on other cruise lines such as Celebrity.

Happy Cruising:(

Does anyone think Princess is going to a two tier class system? I'll be writing a letter of disapproval. There is power in numbers so if you disagree too I suggest you write a letter.

Good for you. A courteous, well-written opinion sent directly to Princess shows much more initiative than whining on Cruise Critic. I would assume that the powers that be at Princess are sufficiently intelligent to give your effort the weight that it deserves.

Now, after thinking about the above paragraph that I have written, which is truly meant to be complimentary, it then dawned on me that while Princess executives are concerned about their customers' satisfaction, the final decision on whether to continue with the Club Class program, or to discontinue it, or to modify it will be financial. If they have difficulty selling Club Class cabins at a premium price, they will "tweak" the program. They could drop the price, or they could add some benefits. If they find that they can, in fact, sell all Club Class cabins for a premium price, my guess is that they will ask themselves these two questions:

• Can we raise the price of the existing Club Class cabins?
  • Can we designate additional Mini-Suite cabins as Club Class and charge the premium price for them?

I do encourage you to write your letter. If the results are "too close to call," your letter, and others like it, may help them make the decision that you favor.

It doesn't really bother me. (Of course we haven't sailed on a cruise where this is available yet...). We won't be paying extra for the convenience. If others want to do so then I don't see why I should be upset. I could sail in a balcony instead and afford to eat in a specialty restaurant every night for less than the cost of a club class mini. It's not like other lines with a completely separate dining room and menu.

Celebrity has had a three tier systen for about 3 years. Their system lets you pay a higher fare is you want more perks.

I'm getting tired of people complaining about Princess offering extras to people who are willing to pay for them.

On my last couple of cruises on Princess, I greatly enjoyed breakfast at Sabatini's. If the protest against Club Class Dining is successful, I guess the next step will be to protest the class system at breakfast. Why should I be able to get better service at breakfast just because I pay more for my cabin? Why is Sabatini's reserved for such a small group of people in the morning when the rest of the passengers are kept out. It obviously isn't fair.

And then we should probably do away with the specialty restaurants for dinner. After all, they are reserved for the small group of passengers who pay extra for them. Anyone who doesn't pay for a specialty restaurant dinner and eats in the MDR instead is obviously being treated as second class.

If you don't think Club Class is worth the difference in price, then don't buy it. But please don't try to keep me from purchasing it.

I'm getting tired of people complaining about Princess offering extras to people who are willing to pay for them.

On my last couple of cruises on Princess, I greatly enjoyed breakfast at Sabatini's. If the protest against Club Class Dining is successful, I guess the next step will be to protest the class system at breakfast. Why should I be able to get better service at breakfast just because I pay more for my cabin? Why is Sabatini's reserved for such a small group of people in the morning when the rest of the passengers are kept out. It obviously isn't fair.

And then we should probably do away with the specialty restaurants for dinner. After all, they are reserved for the small group of passengers who pay extra for them. Anyone who doesn't pay for a specialty restaurant dinner and eats in the MDR instead is obviously being treated as second class.

If you don't think Club Class is worth the difference in price, then don't buy it. But please don't try to keep me from purchasing it.

Agreed 100%. Although I probably wouldn't get it (at the current price point) I don't think that others should try to hinder people who are willing to pay for such benefits (maybe I have a too simplistic view - you pay for more you get more) . Besides the bottom line is how well it's selling - basically like everything else in life. After all it's not like it's a staple in life and they are price gouging. But after saying this I also agree with writing a letter voicing your feelings on it (if one feels inclined to do so) and letting Princess do what they will with it (which is probably nothing)

The germane difference is that Sabatini's and other specialty restaurants are always upcharge, so breakfast there is just another de facto upcharge situation.

Other things are more in the nature of zero-sum games. There's been concern that Club Class dining might enable you to be seated more quickly, but the hoi polloi will have to wait longer for a table. Likewise, giving Club Class priority boarding means some pax who've earned it via Captain's Circle status will board later, as will not-yet-Platinum passengers who got there earlier than you but didn't pay to skip the line. Those are not just "extras," but take-aways from the rest of us. May not in practice be a big deal, but that's what people are objecting to. It's kind of as if Elites not only got free laundry, but it was prioritized so their clean clothes came back in two days while everyone else's took three.

It doesn't really bother me. (Of course we haven't sailed on a cruise where this is available yet...). We won't be paying extra for the convenience. If others want to do so then I don't see why I should be upset. I could sail in a balcony instead and afford to eat in a specialty restaurant every night for less than the cost of a club class mini. It's not like other lines with a completely separate dining room and menu.

I guess that's where I am on this. I will be eating in traditional, as always, so I won't be affected by any longer than usual ATD lines. It's just too expensive for me. I agree that I'd rather have every dinner in CG and pay less. If someone wants to spend money on the extra special treatment, no skin off my nose. I already get some of the perks simply by being Elite, and I think DH and I are classy enough as is. :p

However, it is probably inevitable that people being people, someone will get snooty and brag and someone else will be envious and angry. Human nature.

May not in practice be a big deal, but that's what people are objecting to. It's kind of as if Elites not only got free laundry, but it was prioritized so their clean clothes came back in two days while everyone else's took three.

But there is already a class system for laundry. Suites get laundry back in one day even if elites take three or four because of the number of elites on the cruise. And laundry is a zero-sum game. Prioritization of suite laundry could potentially be one of the things delaying elite laundry.

Sorry - don't agree.

As someone who has experienced Club Class, I think it was a great idea, and enjoyed the experience. A little something extra for people willing to pay a little something extra without making it obvious to other cruises or taking away from their cruise experience.

Next cruise, I won't have club class, and it won't affect my cruise or bother me that in some little corner of the ship there will be a few other people enjoying the privilege this time...

We look forward to trying Club Class. We are already Elite (40 PCL cruises) and see no difference than the option of booking a Balcony versus a Mini-Suite versus a Full Suite. It's all in what you want to pay for.

If I choose not to buy into CC, I will not feel second class. I just feel that we will have chosen to further tailor our experience to our tastes and budget.

We became Elite by taking Mini-Suites and above, as well as on longer cruises. We're not complaining.

Been two classes at least for ages, this is just yet another way to downgrade those who won't pay extra, at the end of the day the $$$$$$ will decide it.

In my opinion this list is a lot about nothing.There is nothing on this list that suggest a two class system. Club class doesn't even have their own dining room. They are just seated in a different section. I don't see any difference between this and eating in a specialty restaurant. Most of the extras are just fluff and are offered in the room and if you didn't know about them you wouldn't miss them. How do you measure what a luxury bed is. It's not like the rest of us are sleeping on the floor. If there is a separate line for club class embarkation and disembarkation that only means that there will be less people in the steerage line. Canapés, terry bathrobe and wine set up are all room amenities and have nothing to do with segregation. If people are willing to pay for the extras then good for them. Personally there is nothing on this list that would entice me.

Exclusive area of the Main Dining Room

Expedited seating with minimal to no wait

Expanded menu options

Dedicated waitstaff

Uniquely-styled décor (Premium table linens only)

Table-side preparations

The Princess Luxury Bed

Priority embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise

One-time complimentary wine set-up^

Evening canapés, upon request

Luxurious terry shawl bathrobes

Life is about the class system. Some people drive Bentley's some Pontiacs, some people pay $5 million for a house some pay $100k. Some people book suites and some book insides just the same as some people book business class and some economy. The new club class is no different to everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Life is about the class system. Some people drive Bentley's some Pontiacs, some people pay $5 million for a house some pay $100k. Some people book suites and some book insides just the same as some people book business class and some economy. The new club class is no different to everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Agree. Or even something simple like a sporting event, concert or broadway....the choice between the peanut gallery/nose bleed seats or seats with a view of the action, based of course on price. We've been in both categories in various stages of our life; and much prefer the view!

How about land restaurants or hotels (or even rooms within a hotel)? All the same principle....all categorized by price.

No problem with the concept.

Paul

Edited by pjrockman

No. There is a big difference.

Any passenger in any cabin can go to a specialty restaurant if they want to pay for it.

With club class, less than 5% of the passengers can go to Anytime dining and be sure of immediate seating.

Yes, club class mini-suite passengers get some wine in their cabin, but that does not take away from anyone else's experience. Just as the mini-bar setup for full suite passengers does not take away from anyone else's experience.

But reserving a section of tables that often remain unoccupied in a dining room does adversely affect non club class passengers. If it is an anytime dining room, there will be likely be passengers on line who cannot be seated even though tables are vacant in that special section. If it is in the dining room that is traditional and then turns into anytime, then come traditional diners may not get into the early extra traditional seating because of a lack of space for them.

Sorry, won't get my vote!

All other cruise lines offer a form of this and Princess is just a little late to come to the table. I think it is a great idea and people will pay for the "extras". We have and will on future cruises with Princess as we have on other cruise lines such as Celebrity.

Happy Cruising:(

"ALL" other cruise lines....?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can see the possibilities for more benefits if you are willing to pay more for them.

o Princess Theater - pay extra or not be allowed to enter until 5 minutes before the performance.

o Events in the atrium - pay extra to have a view from the railing. Otherwise you must stay further back.

o Rest rooms - pay extra to get guaranteed immediate access

o Pools - pay extra for access to the main pool on ships that also have an aft pool which those who do not pay extra can use

o Elevators - pay extra for guaranteed entrance to the next arriving elevator

o Buffet - pay extra to sit in a section with guaranteed seats available

o Bars - One shorter line for those who have paid extra

As someone posted, "The new club class is no different to everything else in life, you get what you pay for"

No. There is a big difference.

Any passenger in any cabin can go to a specialty restaurant if they want to pay for it.

So I can start having breakfast in Sabatinis now ? Or is that still reserved for suite guests only? As a regular paying passenger I don't have that option.

So I can start having breakfast in Sabatinis now ? Or is that still reserved for suite guests only? As a regular paying passenger I don't have that option.

That breakfast did not exist before it became a full suite benefit and thus did not take away something from any other passenger.

Club Class dining does take away from other passengers any time there are empty tables that others could have used.

Cruise lines are slowly pushing pax to a pay as you go system! If you think this does not affect you okay, but be prepared ! There will come a day when that fare you pay will only be to get you on the ship. We have only ourselves to blame...hey we paid it!

Remember when you could get a decent steak in the main dinning room,included in your fare?

Now they can ONLY cook a decent steak in a pay extra restaurant! Wonder why that is!?

We used to be able to get crab legs,shrimp in the buffett one night ..now it is more money in the "Crab shack"!

I don't mind what anyone gets extra ,just stop taking away from the main stream cruiser.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598