Pool Life Jackets

CNDKangaroo

Nope, none of the carnival ships provide life jackets. It would be a liability issue if a passenger put it on incorrectly and injury or death occurred.

As a certified water safety instructor, I would suggest the following:

1. find a product called a puddle jumper. Easier to use than a life jacket. (Link at bottom)

2. If you use a life jacket make sure you get the correct size for your child NOW. A life jacket is not something they can "grow in to"

3. Learn to correctly fasten the life jacket if you get one. Most parents do not tighten them enough. If the jacket is up around their chin and ears, then it isn't right enough.

4. A floatation assistance device is no substitute for parental supervision. Please stay within arm's reach of the child while they are in the water.

http://www.target.com/p/stearns-puddle-jumper-life-jacket-fish/-/A-17141990

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by Anthomaniac

While I have never noticed them on a cruise ( I wasn't looking for them) I just saw a video last week on John Healds Facebook page. There were huge racks of life vests on the pool deck and I believe he even made reference to them. This was on the Pride I believe. They were the waterskiing style vests.

No, the ship does not provide pool safety swim accessories. Even with a shallow end if your child is not a swimmer you should be in the pool with them with/without any safety gear(IMO)

Yes, of course we'll be in the pool with him. He is in swim club and is a proficient swimmer but I am very, very water safety conscious and would feel best if he had a life jacket on as there is no lifeguard. We will bring our own.

never have seen it on any cruise line' date=' best to bring your own.[/quote']

Actually I just watched a video on here the other day and there was definitely a lifejacket station for the kids on Magic at the pool deck. I was thinking it had to be new because we specifically asked if they had any for my 5 year old nephew this past May and was told no.

I dont know if this is fleetwide but Magic definitely has kids lifejackets now

Edited by ryano

No, the ship does not provide pool safety swim accessories. Even with a shallow end if your child is not a swimmer you should be in the pool with them with/without any safety gear(IMO)

Not just your opinion. The Red Cross calls for this as well.

Also from WHO: United States: drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury or death in children aged 1-14 years

While I have never noticed them on a cruise ( I wasn't looking for them) I just saw a video last week on John Healds Facebook page. There were huge racks of life vests on the pool deck and I believe he even made reference to them. This was on the Pride I believe. They were the waterskiing style vests.

Saw it in a video about Magic too.

Edited by ryano

Life Jackets for Children

To offer an additional layer of safety for our guests who choose to utilize them, life jackets for children of various sizes will be available near the main pool. Jackets are currently offered on the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Pride and Carnival Sensation.

The life jackets are displayed on the pool deck near the Towel Station and are free of charge. Guests can take them and replace them during the day, as they wish.

The following information is posted on a sign near the life jacket station:

• NO lifeguard on duty!
  • Parents and/or guardians should always closely monitor their children in the pool area.
  • Children should never swim alone.
  • Life jackets are available to our younger guests, free of charge.
  • The best life jacket is the one you wear!
  • Make sure the jacket fits properly and the buckles are fastened.
  • Life jackets cannot be taken ashore.
  • Life jackets cannot be worn in WaterWorks or on the slides.

While this was true a couple of years ago, I know for a fact that RCCL Rhapsody has them and as posted Carnival ships are now offering then. All free of charge.

Yes, of course we'll be in the pool with him. He is in swim club and is a proficient swimmer but I am very, very water safety conscious and would feel best if he had a life jacket on as there is no lifeguard. We will bring our own.

I don't think that anthomaniac stressed the difference in what is recommended. My first question is, what does your son use when swimming in club? I ask, because flotation aids will tend to place him in an upright position, as opposed to the normal horizontal swimming position, and if he is trying to swim, he will exert a lot of energy trying to overcome the buoyancy of the flotation aid and become horizontal. In particular, "lifejackets" are specifically designed to keep a person upright, the amount of flotation and its placement dependent on the "class" of the lifejacket. A USCG class I lifejacket, like what is provided by the ship for emergencies, is designed to keep even an unconscious person face up and upright.

While puddle jumpers are a good idea, it would be prudent to let him become accustomed to them in a pool at home, so he knows the posture it presents, and how much freedom to swim he will have. So, what I am saying is to use something like the puddlejumpers and not a lifejacket.

Let me amend this to say that since your child is a swimmer, the lifejacket is not recommended, but for a non or poor swimmer, a lifejacket type device to allow them to float in the pool would be best.

Edited by chengkp75

While this was true a couple of years ago, I know for a fact that RCCL Rhapsody has them and as posted Carnival ships are now offering then. All free of charge.

I think that nearly all RCI ships now have PFD's for kids at the pool, certainly the Freedom class and larger/newer.

I don't think that anthomaniac stressed the difference in what is recommended. My first question is, what does your son use when swimming in club? I ask, because flotation aids will tend to place him in an upright position, as opposed to the normal horizontal swimming position, and if he is trying to swim, he will exert a lot of energy trying to overcome the buoyancy of the flotation aid and become horizontal. In particular, "lifejackets" are specifically designed to keep a person upright, the amount of flotation and its placement dependent on the "class" of the lifejacket. A USCG class I lifejacket, like what is provided by the ship for emergencies, is designed to keep even an unconscious person face up and upright.

While puddle jumpers are a good idea, it would be prudent to let him become accustomed to them in a pool at home, so he knows the posture it presents, and how much freedom to swim he will have. So, what I am saying is to use something like the puddlejumpers and not a lifejacket.

Let me amend this to say that since your child is a swimmer, the lifejacket is not recommended, but for a non or poor swimmer, a lifejacket type device to allow them to float in the pool would be best.

Exactly! Thanks :)

He doesn't use anything, sometimes flippers and a kickboard but usually nothing. However, he is in a dedicated lane, no other swimmers except him and his coach (who is in water). I am mostly thinking about the pool being busy which will be a different experience for him. I'll check out the puddle jumpers thank you.

He doesn't use anything, sometimes flippers and a kickboard but usually nothing. However, he is in a dedicated lane, no other swimmers except him and his coach (who is in water). I am mostly thinking about the pool being busy which will be a different experience for him. I'll check out the puddle jumpers thank you.

When are you cruising? Could you do a water test before you go? Basically, have him in water where he can't touch and have him tread water for a minimum of sixty seconds. Did he struggle to complete the time? Was he comfortable? Can he comfortably swim more than 25 yards without assistance? The pools are pretty small, if he can tread for more than a minute without struggling and complete the swim, then I think he would be okay in the pools without any assistance. You might ask his coach as well, they should have a first-hand realistic view of his swimming abilities.

Swim on!

Just off Magic (New Year's Eve cruise) and children's life vests of all sizes were available for use, free of charge.

Thanks for the confirmation :) Ive been trying to find the video of Magic that showed the lifejacket stand at the pool deck to no avail.

FWIW, this lifejacket rack was NOT on Magic in May. We asked. Im glad to see they have them now