Another Royal class ship for Princess announced

caribill

From a Carnival Corp press release:

Princess Cruises' new 145,000-ton ship will carry 3,660 passengers and will be its sixth "Royal" class vessel, featuring the successful design platform used on Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Majestic Princess, the world's first ship designed specifically for the China market and scheduled for delivery in March 2017, as well as its sister ships – the two yet-to-be-named vessels also under construction by Fincantieri scheduled for delivery in 2019 and 2020.

The ship for Princess Cruises will be built at Fincantieri's Monfalcone, Italy, shipyard with an expected delivery in 2022.

I'm now convinced that Princess will redeploy a Royal-class ship or two to the West Coast in the next 2-3 years. :)
Pam, I certainly hope you are right. DW Pat and I have felt that flying is such a pain that we'd like to limit our cruises to those out of SoCal. RT Hawaii would be lovely on a Royal class, wouldn't it?

Stan

I'm now convinced that Princess will redeploy a Royal-class ship or two to the West Coast in the next 2-3 years. :)

It won't matter. They will still leave SF with only Grand Princess. I really wish they would have a different ship there and have more sailings out of SF.

What's the next ship to leave the fleet?

I'm just guessing, but the Sun class ships are getting a little long in the tooth. Hypothetically, Princess is expanding their market (the Majestic in China/Asia) and will be refreshing the ships serving Oceania.

If past experience is anything, Princess will probably move a Royal class or two to the west coast and then move some of the older Grand class to Australia.

Just speculating, nothing more.

I agree Pam, it now seems almost certain to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From a Carnival Corp press release:

Princess Cruises' new 145,000-ton ship will carry 3,660 passengers and will be its sixth "Royal" class vessel, featuring the successful design platform used on Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Majestic Princess, the world's first ship designed specifically for the China market and scheduled for delivery in March 2017, as well as its sister ships – the two yet-to-be-named vessels also under construction by Fincantieri scheduled for delivery in 2019 and 2020.

The ship for Princess Cruises will be built at Fincantieri's Monfalcone, Italy, shipyard with an expected delivery in 2022.

Hopefully, they'll get the damn staircases right this time!

I agree Pam, it now seems almost certain to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they do it will go to LA. Where is the love for SF? We don't need a Royal Class ship there - just give us the Crown or Emerald or Ruby. That would be fine.

I'm just guessing, but the Sun class ships are getting a little long in the tooth. Hypothetically, Princess is expanding their market (the Majestic in China/Asia) and will be refreshing the ships serving Oceania.

If past experience is anything, Princess will probably move a Royal class or two to the west coast and then move some of the older Grand class to Australia.

Just speculating, nothing more.

My guess? The Pacific. Not that I want her to leave the fleet but I'm pretty sure Princess has been shopping her.

Sending the Golden and Emerald to Australia has "refreshed" the options for that region.

Follow the money... always. If a ship is costing Princess more to operate, it'll be replaced.

If they do it will go to LA. Where is the love for SF? We don't need a Royal Class ship there - just give us the Crown or Emerald or Ruby. That would be fine.
I'd rather keep the Grand. Less crowded, covered pool and Alfredo's. If they add the Crown or Emerald or Ruby and keep the Grand would be fine. Edited by mreasier

Please Google "cruise ship design". You may find the article I did that spoke of engineering changes below decks, and outward changes that passengers will notice. An example for this discussion are the newish Carnival ships, e. g. the Carnival Magic. Please notice the WRAPAROUND PROMENADE!!!!! And the TWO DECK promenade! Totallly different than the Royal class.

I'd rather keep the Grand. Less crowded, covered pool and Alfredo's. If they add the Crown or Emerald or Ruby and keep the Grand would be fine.

Hmmm... Good points.

I really wish more ships would offer Alredo's (at least the pizza) in Sabatini's or another venue at lunch time. We really enjoyed it on a couple of ships. Grand Princess does have the advantage of a dedicated Alfredo's. (I just wish my stupid brain would remember not to head up the center stairs! :rolleyes:)

The Grand is getting old & probably on the list to go very shortly.

I hope so. It was very worn looking when I was on it just a little over a year ago. We had several broken items in our suite that they didn't fix despite our request. We had an engine fire too, then almost exactly a year later they had the tender platform break during a sailing. I think putting this ship into retirement (or for sale) is a good idea.