Worth $1,000 to bump up from Jr to Grand Suite and get concierge?

I think it's totally your decision. We'll be in a GS on Explorer in March. It's my 50th birthday and we thought we'd try it and see if we liked it. I like getting the "extras" and if we decide it's not worth it, we'll know next time. I do think it's a subjective thing and you will get all opinions. If you have the cash and it won't hurt, why not?

I'm a hump balcony girl so I don't usually stay in suites. Here is what the RCCL site says is included in concierge service:

A dedicated Concierge who is available to assist with anything you require

Twenty-four-hour a day use of the Concierge Club Lounge

Continental breakfast every morning† and open bar & hors d'oeuvres every evening available in the Concierge Club Lounge

Assistance with reservations for Portofino Italian restaurant & Chops Grille Steakhouse

Assistance with Explorations! Bookings

Assistance booking appointments for Salon or Spa treatments

Priority tickets for the ice skating show

Assistance with the arrangement of private parties

Personalized Discover Shopping advice

DVDs and CDs available to borrow during the Concierge's hours Pre-ordering of your dinner wine Business services (faxing, copying, etc.)

Now, for someone like me, where I enjoy ordering my wines, making online reservations and booking excursions before the cruise because I LOVE the planning part -this is pretty useless. I also only eat breakfast on my balcony with my sweetie - nothing is more romantic! No interest in ice skating show, not faxing or copying anything, don't think I'm going to watch a DVD on my cruise, not much of a drinker so dont' need a few hours or so of free booze - but, for some people that don't like the planning stages or need help making reservations at the spa or something I guess its worth it. If you drink a lot, it would likely be worth it if you can pound away some free alcohol:D and if you like eating breakfast at the restaurant then that would be good.

I'm not sure that any of this is really worth $1000 - for me it isn't worth anything but even for someone that likes a lot of this it still seems a hefty price to pay.....But only you can say what you enjoy or want out of your cruise. what kind of stuff would you like the concierge to do for you?

having a full suite means more than just the CL. You'll get an invite for a bridge tour, a free bottle of champagne in your room, canapes, choc dipped strawberries, ghiradelli choc squares on your pillow, a different room service menu to order breakfast from, a seperate suite seating area for breakfast, not to mention reserved seating at the pool and in the theatre. That's all the comes to mind at the moment.

I dont think the extra $$$ is worth it. However, a GS will give you 2 cruise credits and if that put me into the next CA level I would consider it. Also, I did a suite gaurantee once and got upgraded to a GS. You never know.

A JS also receives 2 credits.

having a full suite means more than just the CL. You'll get an invite for a bridge tour, a free bottle of champagne in your room, canapes, choc dipped strawberries, ghiradelli choc squares on your pillow, a different room service menu to order breakfast from, a seperate suite seating area for breakfast, not to mention reserved seating at the pool and in the theatre. That's all the comes to mind at the moment.

You get an automatic invite for a bridge tour if you sail in a suite? I must be living under a rock....is this part of the new suite perks?

We just sailed on the JOS in a RFS last week on the 10 day repo, having the extra space was the best, we were 4 women, so 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms was the best, suite perks were nice, we went the the CL for drinks 3 times only, we did receive a free bottle of wine, some canapes & chocolate covered strawberrries, each on different evenings. In the cabin there was the usual portfolio thingy but it contained copies of the special menus for items available to suite guests only. To me the best part was the free valet service for disembarcation. I wouldn't pay $1000.00 extra for the CL but for 4 women splitting the $$$ it was perfect.

I believe the bridge tour is only given to Diamond + C&A members, unless special arrangements are made.

Here is what the RCCL site says is included in concierge service:

A dedicated Concierge who is available to assist with anything you require

Twenty-four-hour a day use of the Concierge Club Lounge

Continental breakfast every morning† and open bar & hors d'oeuvres every evening available in the Concierge Club Lounge

Assistance with reservations for Portofino Italian restaurant & Chops Grille Steakhouse

Assistance with Explorations! Bookings

Assistance booking appointments for Salon or Spa treatments

Priority tickets for the ice skating show

Assistance with the arrangement of private parties

Personalized Discover Shopping advice

DVDs and CDs available to borrow during the Concierge's hours Pre-ordering of your dinner wine Business services (faxing, copying, etc.)

All of which you can do yourself in person or on the phone from your cabin. IMO for $1000 it isn't worth it.

We were once upgraded at the dock from JS to GS. It was great to have the extra space and concierge access; however, I don't think I would pay the extra $$ unless I could really consume LOTS of alcohol for the three daily hours that free drinks are offered (and it's self-serve, so no blender, meaning none of the foo-foo drinks). The drinks must be consumed in the concierge lounge, so you can't go there to get your drinks then go back to your room to enjoy ocean views. The concierge lounge is in the middle of the ship, with no windows.

I know someone posted the list of benefits - I was not aware that being in a suite meant they saved pool chairs - that may be worth it!

The GS room is larger, as is the balcony, but not enough to justify the added cost, in my opinion.

I agree with most of the above...We did a GTY JS and was upgraded to a GS..Would not have payed extra for it...Having said that I would maybe be tempted if the cruise was going to be a very long one. But still would wait to see if the price of that upgrade offer would go down as it gets closer to my sailing date..And yes the JS gets 2 CC's as well..Everyone has their own needs, comforts and budget when making these decisions..Does anyone think more and more upgrades are being offered lately ?

You get an automatic invite for a bridge tour if you sail in a suite? I must be living under a rock....is this part of the new suite perks?

LOL.....you are not living under a rock.:) Suite guests do not get an automatic invite for a bridge tour. Only diamond plus guests get an automatic invite for a choice of the bridge tour, galley tour, or behind the scenes theater tour. If there is a small number of diamond plus guests that choose the bridge tour the LA will then invite some of the suite guests. If you are on the LA's radar than certain suite guests will also get an automatic bridge tour.

Mrs. and I stayed in a GS 4 of our last 5 cruises. One was a upgrade.

AND

We seldom use the Concierge Lounge. We may on our next cruise since Diamond Members, (which we are) no longer use the lounge making it less crowded.

Everyone who cruises has their own tastes, and so do you. There are some people here that never stay in anything but a inside cabin, those that like a balcony, and those who like a suite. That's why there are so many different stateroom categories.

It all starts w/moving up the ladder, first cruise was an inside, then a outside, then tried the balcony, had to try a Jr.suite and now a GS......I think if Im going on a real hussle/bussle cruise that requires a lot of sight seeing I probably would get at least a balcony, but if I'm going on a cruise that I've been on before/or a more relaxing kind of cruise I probably would get a Jr or Gs because Im going to be on the ship more.........but u r right its a matter of taste and I think mostly $$$:eek: Lana

We just made the decision to change from a JS guarantee to a GS. Several years ago we were upgraded on our first RC cruise from a JS to a GS and even though we are not big drinkers we really enjoyed the concierge lounge. We would also stop by for a cappacino every morning before going to breakfast. We met a lot of great people in the CL.

It's not just the CL, but having a bigger room is great. We just came back from a Med cruise with great ports and long days touring. We weren't in the room long enough to warrant a suite. Next week we're going on a 9 day to Mexico where we are planning lots of R&R. I'm sure we'll appreciate having the bigger room and extra level of service.

I think it comes down to what is important to you. Sometimes we stay at the St. Regis and other times Motel 6. It just depends on the trip and what we are looking for!

Archived