Air France from U.S. to Paris to Budapest-luggage question

GoInOnaCruz

I have NEVER lost a suitcase that I carried on, and I have been to every continent with a carry-on (yes, including Antarctica).

Thom

There are two types of luggage: Carry on and LOST :eek:

I'm considering carry-on only for our river cruise. I'm a bit worried about it since it'll be late-Oct/early-Nov, but I'll get it down between now & then.

For shampoo/conditioner, I've been using bar forms of those lately. No liquid requirements to worry about! There are toothpaste tabs out there that also allow you to not worry about the liquid requirements. I don't love those for my every day toothpaste, but they work for when we're traveling.

We're traveling on Air Canada and I looked up their luggage policies, but I just realized one leg of our return trip is on Lufthansa. Based on this thread, I guess I need to check their restrictions, too!

I like to travel with carry-on luggage only due to much dragging too much luggage through streets, checked bags lost or taken by mistake (then returned thank goodness), and so forth. However, Air France's carry-on restrictions are looking to defeat my usual plan and we will have to check a bag (or buy all new carry-ons they have a 20" limit I have either 22, 21, or 16 which is too small). I called them to be sure that our luggage is checked through from U.S. (Dulles) to Budapest as we have a quick layover in Paris and a change of flight. I didn't feel that the customer service agent was totally listening to my question so: Anyone flown this itinerary and found this to be the case? If we have to retrieve luggage I think we might miss our connection. Thanks in advance!

It will be checked thru just make sure the tags are right:)

Travel in Europe and to Europe on European carriers.... Carry on limits are strict! Combined weight is 17.5lbs (that's a combined weight not just one carry on)

Not sure about your 17.5 lbs combined limit...Air France (from their website and my experience) the combined limit of carry on PLUS one personal item is 12 kg which equals 26.4 lbs.

as always, check with your airlines as every one is different.

Not sure about your 17.5 lbs combined limit...Air France (from their website and my experience) the combined limit of carry on PLUS one personal item is 12 kg which equals 26.4 lbs.

as always, check with your airlines as every one is different.

I'll find the link... Trying to remember the airline. Put all passengers carry-ons in a wire basket and weighed them. Including what passengers are carrying. In a he last few days I have been on Lufthansa, KLM, Air France & one or two others. This is were I read it and actually went online to convert Kgs vs. Lbs as I was concerned. I have witnessed several occasions of weighing carry-one at the check in counter and this new twist of combined weight caught me by surprise.

So I'll see if I can find it! I'm pretty sure I know which CC poster alerted me to it and I then went on line and sure enough.

I'll report back!

Edited by JVilleGal

Packing light is the way to go.

We had 2 pieces of hand luggage and one checked bag with us last week

We were spending a few extra days in Avignon after our river cruise.

Our flight back to the USA was from Madrid.The only direct Avignon Madrid flight was ryan air.

Last Friday after checking in on line Ryan air e mailed us to say their baggage handlers were on strike,they were not accepting checked luggage.

We called Fedex ,they quoted $800 to ship our bag home.

Long story short we walked away from our flight and took a train.It was a pleasant 7 hour trip.

Ryan air refused to refund our tickets because the flight was not cancelled.Their customer service is no existent.

Take as little as possible.

I'll find the link... Trying to remember the airline. Put all passengers carry-ons in a wire basket and weighed them. Including what passengers are carrying. In a he last few days I have been on Lufthansa, KLM, Air France & one or two others. This is were I read it and actually went online to convert Kgs vs. Lbs as I was concerned. I have witnessed several occasions of weighing carry-one at the check in counter and this new twist of combined weight caught me by surprise.

So I'll see if I can find it! I'm pretty sure I know which CC poster alerted me to it and I then went on line and sure enough.

I'll report back!

Here is what the major airlines that most of us use flying from Canada and US to Europe say about carry on:

Air France and KLM are using the combined weight of carry on + personal item limit of 12 kg.

Air France

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/pratique/preparer_bagage_cabine_airfrance.htm

The total combined weight of your hand baggage and accessory must not exceed 12 kg / 26 lb (economy)

Lufthansa

http://www.lufthansa.com/ca/en/Carry-on-baggage

economy 1 x 8 kg = 17.6 lb

Also allowed in the cabin: another item of carry-on baggage (max. 30 x 40 x 10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag), one baby carrier per child or a child’s car seat or a foldable pushchair/buggy (may have to be transported in the cargo hold) and wheelchairs/orthopaedic aids (e.g. walking aids).

KLM

http://www.klm.com/travel/ca_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.htm

Hand baggage:

1 bag**, and

1 accessory, e.g. a handbag or a laptop

Combined max. 12 kg / 26 lbs

Swiss Air

https://www.swiss.com/gb/en/prepare/baggage/hand-baggage

1 x max.

8 kg

Circumference max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm

Other permitted items

Adults and children with their own seats may also take the following on board:

Handbag, laptop bag or shoulder bag (max. 40 x 30 x 10 cm)

British Air

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances

Size and weight of your hand baggage

1 x cabin bag

56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

1 x personal bag

45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

Maximum weight per bag is up to 23kg (51lbs).

You must be able to fit your bags into the baggage gauge at check in.

Any items you purchase at the airport, including duty free, form part of your hand baggage allowance. If you go over your allowance of 2 bags, you may have to check in one of your extra bags, for which there may be a charge.

Edited by remydiva

Travel in Europe and to Europe on European carriers.... Carry on limits are strict! Combined weight is 17.5lbs (that's a combined weight not just one carry on)
JAT says they limit you to 8 kg (about 17 lb), but when I flew them AMS-BEG last year they allowed my US-sized carryon and backpack with no questions asked, and together they probably weighed over 35 lb. (I had flown into AMS on Delta, and we flew coach.) Iberia sets a size limit, but as to weight only requires you to be able to lift it into the overhead bin by yourself. And apparently Lufthansa is a bit unpredictable at to if and when they'll allow you on without weighing your stuff. Most of the European airlines have different carry-on luggage allowances for those flying business or first class, also.

Bottom line: check your carrier(s) to make sure. I was lucky on JAT; there's no guarantee your carrier will be as generous with you (though it's possible).

Edited by MaxBuck

Have a look at Premium Economy seating and fares. We like this fare class, much more comfortable and not prohibitively expensive.

For our upcoming Toronto to Paris flights on Air France, here are the baggage restrictions for carry-on, i.e., more items, higher weight limit:

Premium Economy:

2 HAND BAGGAGE ITEMS + 1 ACCESSORY

Length

55 cm/21 in

x

Width

35 cm/13 in

x

Height

25 cm/9 in

18 kg / 39 lb

Economy:

1 HAND BAGGAGE ITEM + 1 ACCESSORY

Length

55 cm/21 in

x

Width

35 cm/13 in

x

Height

25 cm/9 in

12 kg / 26 lb

More flexibility for checked luggage, but not on weight, interestingly:

PE:

2 CHECKED BAGGAGE ITEMS

Length + Width + Height

158 cm/62 in

2 x 23 kg / 50 lb

Economy:

1 CHECKED BAGGAGE ITEM

Length + Width + Height

158 cm/62 in

23 kg / 50 lb

More flexibility for checked luggage, but not on weight, interestingly:

PE:

2 CHECKED BAGGAGE ITEMS

Length + Width + Height

158 cm/62 in

2 x 23 kg / 50 lb

Economy:

1 CHECKED BAGGAGE ITEM

Length + Width + Height

158 cm/62 in

23 kg / 50 lb

Looks to me as though premium economy gets to check in a total of up to 100 lb of luggage (2 x 23 kg) rather than the 50 lb available to regular economy.

Looks to me as though premium economy gets to check in a total of up to 100 lb of luggage (2 x 23 kg) rather than the 50 lb available to regular economy.

Oh, you're right, I misread this. Thanks. It doesn't mean much to us. We may have to check one bag, since we're going on to Cairo for a Nile cruise, and thus will have hot desert weather as well as cool Paris weather, but still I'm glad not to have to worry about it, and I'm still going to aim for carry-on only.