French County Waterways (FCW)

Balto Bob

There was sporadic internet access aboard the barge Renaissance last June and I believe that is standard amongst the better class of hotel barges. We return to France on a barge cruise aboard Belmond's Amaryllis for a week in July in Burgundy.

Attached is my trip story of the Scottish Highlander that we took back in 2004 with my late wife. It was absolutely fantastic.

The only issue with a small group is if there are 2 or more couples traveling together.The barge held 8 passengers, and 4 were traveling together, Fortunately they were not joined at the hip. We did enjoy their company also

Scottish Barge 2004.pdf

Edited by Talisker92

• 5 weeks later...

With the winter closing in on everyone, I thought it a good time to update on our plans for this June. First, Happy and HEALTHY New Year to everyone on CC. We have now confirmed our hotel in Paris with French Country Waterways (FCW) to cover the first two days and then our pick up to take us to Nenuphar. Then, when we return to Paris, we are going to a different hotel for another 6 days. It was FCW who suggested we do two hotels to better enjoy our time in Paris. I continue to be pleased and amazed at the amount of support and personal attention they give to clients. As an aside, if anyone wants to dip into their children's inheritance and do a bucket trip, the Nenuphar for 14 to 20 June still has a few cabins available. Join us? Well, now I need to go clean the snow off our cars.....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bob-in-Balto! Thank you so much for this thread of valuable information! We, along with 5 other couples whom we have known for a long time, have booked the Adrienne for September, 2015. We have several other couples that did this trip last September and totally enticed us to do this "trip of a lifetime"! There was not one word of warning......all glowing reports of a wonderful trip.

We are all arriving Thursday before our Sunday departure for the Burgundy Region.....looking forward to some Paris-time to adjust to the time difference and see some surrounding areas that we have never experienced.

Keep the information coming!! We will take your comments and suggestions to heart!

Vacationbound from South Carolina

• 2 months later...

Well, time for another update:D

1. I got a large amount of our Euro's. We estimated what we would need for the days before, and the days after, the Nenuphar in Paris. With the good rate, I figured on doing it now and taking my chances it will not go lower.

2. Booked our pick-up at CDG airport. There are lots of discussion about Paris limo service not being dependable, so I booked one that did NOT take money up front. Worst case, we will take a taxi from airport to hotel if the car does not show. Service is "Blacklane" and is about 10-15 Euro more than taxi. Hotel for the first two nights in Paris is Hotel Regina, which is the FCW hotel of choice.

3. After cruise hotel is Hotel d'Aubusson for five nights. Their package includes museum and subway tickets

4. Other booked arrangements:

Eiffel Tower - it is almost impossible to get your own tickets on line unless you book four months in advance. You "have" to use a travel service, so we went with Viator.

Champagne Region for one day - Paris Champagne Tour company. Tour is all day and package includes pick up, breakfast, lunch, and drop off.

Moulin Rouge dinner and show - for the wife's birthday the day before we start the cruise.

So, we now have only three days open - Louvre, Walking Tour, and - visit with our son-in-law's sister and her family.

Any questions I can answer?

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone headed out of the Baltimore area - WOW airlines is now going from BWI to Europe. I spent several hours changing my flight reservations to Paris. Going from the airline I had, to WOW, I saved about $2400. That's getting to be real money. It was worth the four hours effort, changing several things related to the flights. We are now just about 30 days out.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, suitcases are out and open and we will pack in Monday. At this time, there are THREE, yes I said 3, other guests on the Nenuphar departing June 14. This is setting up to be the most private vacation we have ever enjoyed. I will update this thread when we return to Paris on June 20. Anyone out there wanting to take an unplanned trip ????????:D

• 4 weeks later...

I promised a trip report. Every time I start one, it sounds "too weak" compared to the positively perfect week that we spent with the Nenuphar team. The people, wine, food, attention to detail, and ambiance have actually created major problems for us. (1) I took the batteries out of our scale. I will put them back in about two weeks after we attempt to lose the weight that Tadek put on us. (2) The cost of wine in my refrigerator has gone sky high, as the anti-freeze we had been drinking no longer satisfies the changes in our taste that Matthew created, (3) I have used three tanks of gas in the car trying to find cheeses that even resemble the amazing ones selected by Jane and Louise. (4) Our suitcases stayed in the car three days waiting for Sam and Loic to show up to get them. Life for us will NEVER be the same. I dare anyone to spend a week on one of the French Country Waterways barges and not go home totally depressed!:D

I promised a trip report. Every time I start one, it sounds "too weak" compared to the positively perfect week that we spent with the Nenuphar team. The people, wine, food, attention to detail, and ambiance have actually created major problems for us. (1) I took the batteries out of our scale. I will put them back in about two weeks after we attempt to lose the weight that Tadek put on us. (2) The cost of wine in my refrigerator has gone sky high, as the anti-freeze we had been drinking no longer satisfies the changes in our taste that Matthew created, (3) I have used three tanks of gas in the car trying to find cheeses that even resemble the amazing ones selected by Jane and Louise. (4) Our suitcases stayed in the car three days waiting for Sam and Loic to show up to get them. Life for us will NEVER be the same. I dare anyone to spend a week on one of the French Country Waterways barges and not go home totally depressed!:D

So glad you had a great time! I remember the trepidation because you couldn't find a review for reassurance -- now you have given that to others. Pay it forward! Thanks.

Wow thanks for the report. I have longingly read their brochures cover to cover!

It is not often that a sales brochure is totally accurate. They are designed to sell. That is the world we live in.

I think I can say that, if I go through every page of their current brochure, as it applies to both French Country Waterways and the Nenuphar, I can not find a single statement that is not totally accurate. And..even this is an unusual statement for ME to make!

This Saturday I plan to take my copy of the menus we got from Tadek and see what I can do for our dinner. We both have about two more pounds down to go, so Saturday is my target.

Thank you so much for your report! We are booked on the FCW's Adrienne in August and like you said there are not a lot of reviews. Any trip tips or suggestions?

Probably the best suggestion I have is to plan on being pampered as if you were still with your mother...and lose at least six pounds before you go.

Email me for anything specific and some photos. "RStern9007 at aol dot com."

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed a short report. The atmosphere on Nenuphar, after only one evening, caused me to go into total decompression. I did not document every day and event as planned. In fact, my wife took 95% of the photos. The report I completed will be available on FCW web site and the "Avid Cruiser". My comment here is that in my opinion, you could never take a more enjoyable, luxurious, relaxing, pleasant vacation than on the Nenuphar. Any questions or, if you would like to see a 6 minute video prepared for our friends...let me know.

I apologize for not fulfilling my goal of an in-depth trip report for Cruise Critic...:o