Prague to Nuremberg

doreman

I keep coming up with questions as we get nearer to our travel date. Here's the latest one: We are planning to take a bus from Prague to Nuremberg where we are to board our Scenic ship. Is this the best way to travel between these 2 cities or is there a better way? There are some car service companies that operate this route but I've never done that before. The train goes to Frankfurt and then to Nuremberg that's why we thought about the bus. Thanks in advance.

I keep coming up with questions as we get nearer to our travel date. Here's the latest one: We are planning to take a bus from Prague to Nuremberg where we are to board our Scenic ship. Is this the best way to travel between these 2 cities or is there a better way? There are some car service companies that operate this route but I've never done that before. The train goes to Frankfurt and then to Nuremberg that's why we thought about the bus. Thanks in advance.

We opted for a private transfer and it did not work out well for us. We wished we had taken the bus.

We had an unexpected heavy snow that resulted in a major accident on the road. The bus has toilets and we did not. We ended up with a 9 hour drive (bus was the same) but it would have been much easier with a toilet.

Also, the transfer company sent an undersized vehicle even though I was very specific about what I needed. I sent them a copy of my original request when I saw what they sent but by that time they advised an additional three hour delay to send the correct vehicle.

Shouldn't it be 4 hours from Prague to Nuremburg? We are taking the Viking Var with a 3-day pre-cruise in Prague and 2-day post in Koln. :rolleyes:

3:15 but not when the highway is shut down completely for 5 hours.

My post that bus was the same meant that they did not arrive any faster but at least they had a toilet.

Edited by caviargal

Not understanding why people are using private transfers. Isn't it include in our price. I have been on ocean cruises but you pay for the transfer. In that case I have hired private transfer (London to South Hampton). Also the train connection from Prague to Nuremberg would not be that great and you would have to carry your own luggage. Why???

Thank you, CaviarGal. I hope it is scenic and nice weather in November. :D

Ours was November as well. Hope you have better luck.

<Not understanding why people are using private transfers. Isn't it include in our price.>

In our case, no. We did not book the land package with the cruise line. I could have taken the public bus but thought a private transfer would be more pleasant. In this case, the opposite would have been true.

doreman,

Yes, the express bus has replaced the direct train from Prag to Nuernberg. The bus was faster than the train for various reasons and outcompeted the train. There are trains to other German cities which is of no use to you. The bus is preferable to an expensive private car transfer.

http://czech-transport.com/index.php?id=5351

Doreman,

I get it now that you are doing the 8 day cruise and not the add on. Have a wonderful time. Keep us updated on your weather and travels. Happy travels. Having been in Prague before can't wait to get back. Would love to get to Karlovy vary again. It is a area I loved.

It's my understanding that the train from Prague to Nuremberg is operated by the Czech rail system and does not offer the amenities that you find on other European trains. The bus, from my research, is generally preferable to the train.

The advantage of a private driver is:

1 They will pick you up at your hotel. (Other wise you have to get to the bus station by walking, public transport, or taxi. Taxis in Prague are notorious for over charging.)

2. They will deliver you directly to the dock. (By bus you will have to get from the bus/train station to the dock at an extra expense.)

We were quoted CZK5400/US 225 for direct transfer.

We took the bus a few years ago. Got on the bus in front of the Prague train station and off the bus in front of the Nuremberg train station. It was clean, comfortable, and a perfectly easy way to travel.

We were quoted CZK5400/US 225 for direct transfer.

This is more than double the bus fare + 2 taxis for 2 people. The web site I posted has all explanations and prices in English, for the busses, for the train (not direct) and for taxis and limos.

Edited by Floridiana