French County Waterways (FCW)

Balto Bob

We have decided on FCW for our June 2015 river cruise beginning in Paris. Since they are not the "big boy on the block", there is little to no discussion about them here. If anyone is interested, I will start posting our planning and reservation information as it happens, and not wait until after the cruise.

Please let me know.

:)

All, we decided on FCW for June 14, 2015 because of the size and packages. Boat name is Nenuphar. So far, ALL dealings with them have been fantastic and very promising. When I first called, they did not have 2015 rates established, but she said, "I will hold the cabin for you, and send you our 2015 information package when it is available". That was very comforting, since we wanted those particular dates and the boat only has 6 cabins. We got the package last week, as promised. NOTE: In this day of credit card problems, they will not take the information on the phone or by email. A credit card information paper was included in the package we got. THAT also made me feel very good about FCW. She also suggested I make our hotel reservations for the two weeks we will be in Paris. She sent me several suggested places and warned me that rates are very high. We managed to pick a date in high season and in direct conflict with the Paris Air Show. So, we now have air, boat, and hotel chosen and reserved. Now, nothing to do but wait and start gathering up money to pay for it!

Something I forgot to add...Some have questioned my sensibility of using FCW and the significantly higher cost. Here's how I did my costing. You must use SIMILAR accommodations to determine a true cost. I used a Tauck French Waterways cabin category 5 for my comparison. I estimated a per person per day on Tauck at $744 and compared it to a per person per day on French County Waterways of $960. So, yes, I'm paying approximately 20% more. In return there are 12 people on the boat, all paying the same and getting the same...compared to 118 on the boat and all paying differently and getting much of the same, except for room accommodations. If my thinking is wrong, please explain how you believe I am wrong..."flaming" for the sake of "flaming" does not give good discussion.

All,

We need to remember, as we discuss in this "River Cruising" group....there is a definite distinction between RIVER cruising and CANAL cruising. I have been reminded that French Country Waterways does CANAL cruising. I certainly think our community is still too small to break it (Canal Cruising and River Cruising) out on CC, but, as we talk, we need to remember it.

Host Jazz....any thoughts?

Nuff said.....:D

All,

We need to remember, as we discuss in this "River Cruising" group....there is a definite distinction between RIVER cruising and CANAL cruising. I have been reminded that French Country Waterways does CANAL cruising. I certainly think our community is still too small to break it (Canal Cruising and River Cruising) out on CC, but, as we talk, we need to remember it.

Host Jazz....any thoughts?

Every attempt to break up River Cruising has shown that there is too little activity to reach critical mass.

That's why:

1. I looked at FCW because they were recommended by people we met on a Panama Canal Cruise. For the first time, CC was little help.

2. I started a thread here (on CC) to give members a possible alternative to Tauck or Viking.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

In 2011 I did a barge trip in Province mostly on the Rhone, on an Orient Express 12-person luxury barge comparable to FCW and loved it! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Yes, it's expensive, but you get five star food and drink and wonderful experiences. Ours wasn't a canal cruise where you can bicycle alongside the boat, as we covered more distance and the pace was not as slow and. more excursion-oriented. To help us pick the right trip for us and our friends (we went with another couple, which I recommend for a very small barge), we used The Barge Lady, who knows all the different lines and barges and was indispensable. You can search for her online.

Enjoy! I know you will. It's a delightful change from the 100+ passenger river cruises.

Jim and I barged last June with European Waterways on the Renaissance for six nights on the Canal Briare and Upper Loire Valley. Utterly splendid and the best possible way to travel the bucolic French countryside, enjoy the superb cuisines and wine. We paid around $1K per night and gladly would have paid more.

http://www.gobarging.com/renaissance-barge

We're going again in July on Belmond's Le Semaine des Grand Crus aboard the Amaryllis.

http://www.belmond.com/afloat-in-france/holidays/grand_cru

Both ultra-deluxe barges carry eight passengers and five or six crew.

Edited by OctoberKat

• 3 weeks later...
Jim and I barged last June with European Waterways on the Renaissance for six nights on the Canal Briare and Upper Loire Valley. Utterly splendid and the best possible way to travel the bucolic French countryside, enjoy the superb cuisines and wine. We paid around $1K per night and gladly would have paid more.

http://www.gobarging.com/renaissance-barge

We're going again in July on Belmond's Le Semaine des Grand Crus aboard the Amaryllis.

http://www.belmond.com/afloat-in-france/holidays/grand_cru

Both ultra-deluxe barges carry eight passengers and five or six crew.

Would you be willing to share the pricing for the Grands Crus trip? DH and I cruised Champagne with FCW for our honeymoon in 2000 and are intrigued by the idea of a 15 year anniversary cruise in France.

• 1 month later...

We arrive in Paris on Friday morning, June 12. We begin the barge trip on Sunday. So, for Saturday evening, we decided to do Moulin Rouge. FCW has not yet finalized the rates at the hotel being used for a meeting point. I wanted to confirm a hotel early, because of a possible availability conflict with the Paris Air Show. FCW sent me several suggestions for hotels. USING FCW suggestions, and reviews on Trip Advisor, I settled on Hotel dauBusson. Naturally, it is more than I have ever spent for a hotel, but all gloves are off for this trip....I asked the concierge about Moulin Rouge packages and they offered to set it up. Moulin Rouge did not have June arrangements available until December 1. I just received an email (Nov 30 here) confirming reservations and even asking about special event celebration, if wanted. So, the hotel seems to be a good choice. I'm posting this to both update everyone, AND show that FCW continues to meet all my expectations.

I have found another web site that is totally oriented to river and barge cruising. I may not post the web site here, as their web site also includes commercial links. If you would like the address, please post a note here. I will then impose on HostJazz to figure out how I may email directly to you. Note that the report (1) on French Country Waterways is "limited and old". It looks like my June 2015 report will have a lot of interest.....Then again, I may actually be the last one to find it....and everyone here is WAY ahead of me...:o

Hi, Bob-in-Balto. I am so sorry to hear that Cruise Critic hasn't been helpful on barge-related info. Thought I'd jump in and share my two cents. First: It's a fabulous way to travel (and I'll paste in this message I posted a couple of years ago). I've done two barge cruises. The first was on Nenuphar (here's a link to our review): http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-2/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=326. Loved it. The second was the Caledonian.

It's been awhile since I've tried one but might be a good time to add some new content! Hope you'll submit a member review from your trip.

Best,

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

That's why:

1. I looked at FCW because they were recommended by people we met on a Panama Canal Cruise. For the first time, CC was little help.

2. I started a thread here (on CC) to give members a possible alternative to Tauck or Viking.

:D

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

Oops, forgot to include the previous post!

CSB

PS Or better yet, that's so small, I'll just paste below.

Go Barging's an excellent company (like SJGOCH we did the Caledonian trip and it was marvelous). Go Barging does a lot in France as well.

We've also cruised with French Country Waterways (Nenuphar when it was in the Loire Valley; it's now in Champagne and there's another, equally lovely ship there now) and it was awesome, just outstanding. One tip though, you do have to like socializing with others -- our trip had just 10 people (five couples) and you eat every meal together, take every tour together, etc. There are no "tables for two".

Go Barging info (it also goes by European Waterways) is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/cru...uiseLineID=102.

French Country Waterways (I thought this review of Nenuphar by emmausten really captured the experience): http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=91299

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Quote:

1275010775_ScreenShot2014-12-07at1_30_56PM.jpg.3e3de0297bf2fde7f7d57e39ae3745e7.jpg

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

1. I will definitely put together a review of our trip on FCW. Note that I will not finalize and release it until late in June 2015, since I do not think there is internet on board. Actually, if I turn on my computer that week, I might be a candidate for divorce......;)

2. The link to the Nenuphar report that you posted is bad. :confused:

3. Host Jazz and I have been talking, both before I obligated so much of my kids' inheritance and now. So, CC has been a help. :D

4. For me, the Avid Cruiser team has also been a source of knowledge. I will see if my report can fit both formats.....

5. I will say that all dealings with FCW, so far, have been fantastic. Note that any fees paid are handled and processed in U.S. dollars, too.

6. Lastly, my wife is definitely the social person. By the time we leave the barge, everyone will be personal friend to her. I will likely not remember their names. :o