UNIWORLD vs: AVALON

twokey

am planning a first River Cruise. I am thinking BALTIC, but am not dead-set. My question is: which is a better line as far as overall experience is concerned. I mean the passenger experience, not the crews' experience. They both claim to be better than the other. If you have been on both, I'd love to hear your comments.

am planning a first River Cruise. I am thinking BALTIC, but am not dead-set. My question is: which is a better line as far as overall experience is concerned. I mean the passenger experience, not the crews' experience. They both claim to be better than the other. If you have been on both, I'd love to hear your comments.

We have cruised with both companies and have loved them both (I know that's not what you wanted to hear ;)), but to compare the two I would say - the all inclusive of Uniworld is nice, which is probably why their prices are slightly higher than Avalon, but we are booked with our second Avalon cruise next year to do the Rhine because of their new "suite" ships. We enjoy the added space and large patio doors. Both have excellent staff members, great excursions and no complaints about the food. You won't go wrong which ever one you choose.

Cole

We have cruised several times with Avalon, including one on their "Suite Ships" and are headed out on our first with Uniworld in ten days.

Our cabin on the "Super Ship" is 191 sq ft versus 200 on Avalon's Panorama, so not a great difference. However, Uniworld's older vessels can have some very small cabins which might be a consideration.

We found Avalon's boats to be very standardized from one to another. Having seen and been aboard several of Uniworld's boat when rafted to them in port, they are definitely more boutique and individualized.

Uniworld includes drinks in all venues, all day; gratuities; airport transfers when on cruise start and stop dates.

I am expecting Uniworld to be quite a step up from Avalon overall (more in line with AMA) and will post a detailed review when we return.

Both lines have loyal fans. Read Host Jazz's sticky. Avalon can be compared to Marriott and I think the consensus is Uniworld leans towards Hyatt brand. Uniworld calls themselves all inclusive, but they do charge extra on some optional tours, and some top shelf liquor is not included.

I think if you want "the best" there are other options.

I would look at the decor of Uniworld because for some it's a deal breaker, while others like it. It's unique compared to other lines.

Avalon although not luxurious delivers a good product at a usually more moderate price point. They are owned by Globus and have excellent customer service when it comes to river issues such as high water or broken locks.

The 'Sticky" actually compares Avalon to Hyatt and Norwegian Cruise line and Uniworld to Relais & Chateaux and Silversea Cruises.

I agree with the Avalon comparison and also the AMA comparison to Four Seasons and Oceania; soon we will find it if it is as accurate for Uniworld.

I would look at the decor of Uniworld because for some it's a deal breaker, while others like it. It's unique compared to other lines.

Avalon although not luxurious delivers a good product at a usually more moderate price point. They are owned by Globus and have excellent customer service when it comes to river issues such as high water or broken locks.

I agree with both points made above.

I am not a fan of Uniworld's overblown (IMO) decor but hope the overall experience mitigates the decor factor.

Avalon is a good product at what is often a good price, though IMO lacks the overall quality and attention to detail that defines a luxury product.

Edited by caviargal

The 'Sticky" actually compares Avalon to Hyatt and Norwegian Cruise line and Uniworld to Relais & Chateaux and Silversea Cruises.

I agree with the Avalon comparison and also the AMA comparison to Four Seasons and Oceania; soon we will find it if it is as accurate for Uniworld.

I would say Avalon is like Royal Caribbean too. I'm waiting for Caviargal's review of Uniworld. The service would have to be impeccable to match Silversea.

We are taking our first cruise next month with Uniworld. We were originally going to book with Avalon, but because of a special offered by Uniworld, it was actually less expensive to go with Uniworld. Since the gratuities and spirits are included, that made it even cheaper! Check out what incentives the various lines are offering, as it can make a significant difference.

From my reading on CC, Uniworld is viewed as more upscale than Avalon. For us, spending the money that we are on this trip, we liked the idea of the more boutique, richer style of Uniworld. So when we could book Uniworld for a lower price, we jumped on it.

I think you had better check first which lines travel through the Baltic. Those ships are usually much larger than the ones travelling along the rivers in Europe.

Good point. To me Baltic means cruise ship, not river cruise company. I know there are exceptions. Grand Circle Cruise Line has a 96 pax ship that does several Baltic itineraries . . . I'm sure there are other companies in this segment too.

Good point. To me Baltic means cruise ship, not river cruise company. I know there are exceptions. Grand Circle Cruise Line has a 96 pax ship that does several Baltic itineraries . . . I'm sure there are other companies in this segment too.

I was going to say the same thing--what does the OP mean by "Baltic"? The Russian river route is the only one that springs to mind. Maybe they meant "Balkan", an easy mistake?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Agree that Avalon has excellent customer service. We were booked on one of their ships back in June 2013 when the 500 year flood hit. They canceled appropriately, communicated with my TA proactively, and refunded our money very promptly. They also offered to cover any airline ticket change fees, which we didn't need, but we did have to change a prepurchased train ticket. When we asked, they covered that change fee for us.

I'm sure we would have had fun on Avalon but I am very glad that we discovered Uniworld.

I would say Avalon is like Royal Caribbean too. I'm waiting for Caviargal's review of Uniworld. The service would have to be impeccable to match Silversea.

The service we've experienced on Uniworld matches what we are used to on SS. The small passenger count means that the staff really get to know what you want quickly. And even though tips are included I haven't seen any staff members who weren't working hard to make sure that you're well taken care of. I think we're all waiting to see what Caviargal thinks...

If you really mean "Baltic" as someone questioned, you might want to check out Viking's new experiment of combining the better points of river cruising with ocean cruising on board their new Viking Star (2 more sister ships soon to float as well). I have been following the recent maiden voyage of the Star quite closely as we are booked for their 15 day Baltic cruise next summer. So far lots of negative issues, most appear normal for a maiden voyage and easily solvable, but some point to the growing concern that Viking is becoming too arrogant and oblivious to the concerns of passengers and good service. We'll see. Meanwhile, it certainly has promise of a wonderful new concept in cruising. Maybe some other of the more "luxury" ocean companies have a similar product--I'm not that knowledgeable.

If you really mean "Baltic" as someone questioned, you might want to check out Viking's new experiment of combining the better points of river cruising with ocean cruising on board their new Viking Star (2 more sister ships soon to float as well). I have been following the recent maiden voyage of the Star quite closely as we are booked for their 15 day Baltic cruise next summer. So far lots of negative issues, most appear normal for a maiden voyage and easily solvable, but some point to the growing concern that Viking is becoming too arrogant and oblivious to the concerns of passengers and good service. We'll see. Meanwhile, it certainly has promise of a wonderful new concept in cruising. Maybe some other of the more "luxury" ocean companies have a similar product--I'm not that knowledgeable.

Do you think that Viking customer service execs spend too much time watching reruns on. American TV? Trying to emulate "The Soup ****" :eek:

Probably! I have no idea why I booked our "Viking Homelands" cruise next year on the Star, except for the promising itinerary? Never sailed with Viking before and not sure I missed much. In fairness, most prior customers who comment on this link seem to like the on-board experience. It is the corporate management and pre-cruise home office that seem to have their head up their "bow". We'll see. Everyone remembers what happened to the American auto industry years ago when they got too big for their britches.

I've been on Avalon and done many ocean cruises as well. River vs Ocean cruising are two very different vacations.

A cousin of my has been on Uniworld and liked them. One reason we chose Avalon was because of the suite ships and the decor. I considered Uniworld but the unique decor of their ships is not my style and I wouldn't feel comfortable. Like ocean cruising each line has it's pro's and con's. Cruising is a very personalize thing.