Air France from U.S. to Paris to Budapest-luggage question

GoInOnaCruz

I like to travel with carry-on luggage only due to much dragging too much luggage through streets, checked bags lost or taken by mistake (then returned thank goodness), and so forth. However, Air France's carry-on restrictions are looking to defeat my usual plan and we will have to check a bag (or buy all new carry-ons they have a 20" limit I have either 22, 21, or 16 which is too small). I called them to be sure that our luggage is checked through from U.S. (Dulles) to Budapest as we have a quick layover in Paris and a change of flight. I didn't feel that the customer service agent was totally listening to my question so: Anyone flown this itinerary and found this to be the case? If we have to retrieve luggage I think we might miss our connection. Thanks in advance!

If it is an AirFrance flight or SkyTeam flight luggage will be checked through. Just check the luggage tags when you check in to be sure it is all correct.

I hope your connecting is not too brief as CDG is one gnarly airport. I never connect without a minimum of 2 hours.

Edited by caviargal

Be sure your carry on includes a couple outfits and unmentionables that you can live in for 10 days! My theory is if you are prepared nothing bad will ever happen :)

I love your theory and hope it holds! Yes in the past when we always checked luggage we always carried extra clothes and "unmentionables." In fact, on our Viking China trip we got to the ship just before dinner was beginning (after a lengthy land tour) needless to say checked bags hadn't arrived but there we were prepared and we were the only ones who could change up for dinner (after spending time in a sandstorm)!

Assuming you are traveling with another, be sure to cross pack with that person. Half of each of your clothes in each bag . . . If one goes missing, your biggest concern is laundry, and in all likelihood your other bag will catch up with you before you need to deal with laundry.

Assuming you are traveling with another, be sure to cross pack with that person. Half of each of your clothes in each bag . . . If one goes missing, your biggest concern is laundry, and in all likelihood your other bag will catch up with you before you need to deal with laundry.

But keep whole outfits together. No point putting the suit jacket in one suitcase and the matching trousers in the other! [Not that anyone wears a suit on a river cruise, but you get my drift ;)]

I like to travel with carry-on luggage only due to much dragging too much luggage through streets, checked bags lost or taken by mistake (then returned thank goodness), and so forth. However, Air France's carry-on restrictions are looking to defeat my usual plan and we will have to check a bag (or buy all new carry-ons they have a 20" limit I have either 22, 21, or 16 which is too small). I called them to be sure that our luggage is checked through from U.S. (Dulles) to Budapest as we have a quick layover in Paris and a change of flight. I didn't feel that the customer service agent was totally listening to my question so: Anyone flown this itinerary and found this to be the case? If we have to retrieve luggage I think we might miss our connection. Thanks in advance!

This May, we did Air France Vancouver to Paris to Basel, Switzerland with carry on ONLY.

Air France allows carry on to be 21 x 13 x 9 including wheels and handles (see cut and paste from their website) PLUS one personal item such as computer bag or purse.

HAND BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

To be accepted in the cabin, your hand baggage must not exceed the following dimensions: 55 x 35 x 25 cm / 21 x 13 x 9 in (including pockets, wheels and handles).

The catch is that the COMBINED weight of BOTH your carry on AND personal item cannot exceed 12 kg or 26 lb...see cut and paste from website.

The total combined weight of your hand baggage and accessory must not exceed 12 kg / 26 lb or 18 kg / 39 lb, depending on your travel cabin.

We managed by holding my 11 inch netbook closed with my paper back book on top and I was willing to argue that it was like a kindle and my reading material. also my coat pockets were stuffed with my costume jewelry!.

But we did it. We did cross pack just in case for some reason the airport scales were different than my hand held luggage scale and just in case they made up check a bag (they didn't) so it was all good.

I think all other airlines in Europe limit the size and weight of carry on but not the weight of your personal item so previous trips we stick the heavy stuff in the computer bag. Air France...not so.

We did two weeks in Europe..one week river cruise and one week in Paris. It is liberating not having to worry about lost luggage, waiting at luggage carousels. etc.

As another poster said, watch your connection time in CDG. I like at least 2 hrs...we landed way out on the tarmac, had to wait for a bus, then change from Terminal E to Terminal G via a train to catch the smaller commuter flight to Basel. It all went fine but we had 3 hours so no panic.

Edited by remydiva

I can attest that they weigh your carry on bags. Lufthansa did this to us in Istanbul. Load your pockets, my kindle, smart phone, Chargers, jewelry where on my jacket that I was wearing [emoji4] I put it all back in my bag before security.

Edited by JVilleGal

At CDG, we queued up in the section that the reader board said to...they don't do it by airlines ...so flights to all over on different airlines line up in Section 3 for example. If you had checked bags, I assume it is different as you have to print up and tag your own bags to check.

Since we had NO checked bags, they waved us through and said 'go straight to customs'. Not easy to find but once there (follow the sign that shows a suitcase with a line through it) there were two staff that grabbed our bags, tossed them into a wire frame cage that was attached to a scale. They piled my purse and wrestled by netbook (size of a kindle) out of my arms to weigh them all...yes I was over thanks to netbook but they let us through.

We walked straight to 'police' rather than customs who stamped our passport and we were gone. Yes I too stuffed my pockets until past the 'police' and then repacked my bags.

and correction to my own previous post..the train we took at CDG was when we departed for home...just a bus ride from tarmac to main terminal on arrival but still..I agree with the words of caution from others....allow at LEAST TWO hours to change planes at CDG.

Hmm, my past trips through CDG were not like that. I've never had my stuff weighed there (most recent trip was Dec 2014, en route to NUE, and return from Basel through CDG to ATL)

I guess the lesson is - no matter what the websites say, you just don't know what will happen, so best to pack for the worst case scenario....

More and more carry-on bags are being weighed in European airports now. Know your airlines rules, as they are all so different!

How do you people travel with only carry-on bags? :confused: I could never get through security due to the limitations on liquids (I need my lotion, shampoo, conditioner, toner, deodorant, toothpaste, creams, etc.)! That just amazes me. One day I will be that low-maintenance! :D

More and more carry-on bags are being weighed in European airports now. Know your airlines rules, as they are all so different!

How do you people travel with only carry-on bags? :confused: I could never get through security due to the limitations on liquids (I need my lotion, shampoo, conditioner, toner, deodorant, toothpaste, creams, etc.)! That just amazes me. One day I will be that low-maintenance! :D

No you don't! The cruise ships, river boats and hotels supply shampoo, conditioner, lotion so I don't pack those. I buy the travel size of toothpaste, deod, sunscreen and 100 ml bottle of liquid laundry soap so it is easy in that regard.

My problem is shoes are heavy so I wear the heaviest pair and pack two lighter pairs...I don't travel to put on a fashion show and likely will never see these people again so layers, accessories and comfortable light weight clothes. when you have less, you have an easier decision on what to wear each day.

It can be done...I challenge you to the carry on test! Less is more!:)

...The cruise ships, river boats and hotels supply shampoo, conditioner, lotion so I don't pack those. I buy the travel size of toothpaste, deod, sunscreen and 100 ml bottle of liquid laundry soap so it is easy in that regard.

It can be done...I challenge you to the carry on test! Less is more!:)

I find that the provided shower gel or shampoo works quite well as laundry soap. If you are willing to use the provided often Brand X shampoo and lotion on your body, then your clothes should accept the shower gel. One less item to carry.:)

Thom

PS Air France weighed my carry on in Marseille April 2015.

Edited by TravelerThom

I'm with you other then I give up that we will ever be low maintenance and travel with just a carryon. I was really feeling the peer pressure when I was participating on another blog and was being really beat up on since we travel with 2 large suitcases and two carry ons until I gained some perspective from another poster. He said it mystifies him that we will spend upwards of 20k or more including business air for a River Cruise and to avoid spending a few hundred dollars or less to have drivers/porters help with luggage we will wash our underwear out in the sink or have only one outfit with 7 scarves(ha). So I decided to endure the peer pressure and enjoy having everything but the kitchen sink with us. I guess we have caved somewhat to peer pressure in that for our Christmas Cruise we are only taking 2 large suitcases and 1 carry on(maybe)

We have done carry on only when spending 2 weeks in Europe. I do love fashion and it is quite possible to dress well and pack light. It is all about the fabric and coordinating items. I look at it as a challenge :).

For us, it is the time and annoyance factor that makes us prefer NOT to check bags unless we have to and not the cost. The new regulations and limitations of certain airlines does sometimes make it impossible. My husband travels with professional camera gear and I always have a laptop, Kindle, etc. With Lufthansa two years ago the policy was so restrictive we had no choice but to check.

Even when we do check, we pack light, as our trips often include train travel within Europe as well as use of public transport. In this case, less is more.

Edited by caviargal

We have done carry on only when spending 2 weeks in Europe. I do love fashion and it is quite possible to dress well and pack light. It is all about the fabric and coordinating items. I look at it as a challenge :).

For us, it is the time and annoyance factor that makes us prefer NOT to check bags unless we have to and not the cost.

Even when we do check, we pack light, as our trips often include train travel within Europe as well as use of public transport. In this case, less is more.

Yes the TRAINS! I recall years ago my first solo trip to Europe for three weeks hauling a 28 in suitcase :eek: When I got to the train, I was expecting a porter from the Casablanca movie with the pillbox hat to take my bag and put it on board. Imagine my shock when I was expected to heave this likely 50 lb bag up three metal steps to the train and then somehow get it UP into the overhead bin!

Thankfully a fellow traveller was able to lift it up ...breaking my combo lock in the process... so I couldn't get into my bag...for two days...until hotel staff could find a tool to saw it off!...but I digress.

I vowed there and then NEVER to be without my things however sparse they may be or to feel I couldn't fend for myself. The other OP's advise was good..fabric choices and accessories (maybe not seven scarves...five should be plenty :) )

Edited by remydiva

Yes the TRAINS! I recall years ago my first solo trip to Europe for three weeks hauling a 28 in suitcase :eek: When I got to the train, I was expecting a porter from the Casablanca movie with the pillbox hat to take my bag and put it on board. Imagine my shock when I was expected to heave this likely 50 lb bag up three metal steps to the train and then somehow get it UP into the overhead bin!

Thankfully a fellow traveller was able to lift it up ...breaking my combo lock in the process... so I couldn't get into my bag...for two days...until hotel staff could find a tool to saw it off!...but I digress.

I vowed there and then NEVER to be without my things however sparse they may be or to feel I couldn't fend for myself. The other OP's advise was good..fabric choices and accessories (maybe not seven scarves...five should be plenty :) )

Great story and I had a similar experience when I first traveled to Europe as an exchange student many years ago. Lesson learned. :)

I'm with you other then I give up that we will ever be low maintenance and travel with just a carryon. I was really feeling the peer pressure when I was participating on another blog and was being really beat up on since we travel with 2 large suitcases and two carry ons until I gained some perspective from another poster. He said it mystifies him that we will spend upwards of 20k or more including business air for a River Cruise and to avoid spending a few hundred dollars or less to have drivers/porters help with luggage we will wash our underwear out in the sink or have only one outfit with 7 scarves(ha). So I decided to endure the peer pressure and enjoy having everything but the kitchen sink with us. I guess we have caved somewhat to peer pressure in that for our Christmas Cruise we are only taking 2 large suitcases and 1 carry on(maybe)

Since they may weigh that carry on, it would be better to spread the load between two. Let the airline be hoist on their own petard!

That is EXACTLY what my DH says.

Consider me backing you up on the luggage! I'm taking 3 bags on our next cruise. :D I wish I could be that minimalistic like the others above, but I just can't do it.

...it mystifies him that we will spend upwards of 20k or more including business air for a River Cruise and to avoid spending a few hundred dollars or less to have drivers/porters help with luggage we will wash our underwear out in the sink or have only one outfit with 7 scarves(ha). So I decided to endure the peer pressure and enjoy having everything but the kitchen sink with us...
I have no desire to regulate what others choose to take with them when they start. However one of the few times I was talked into taking a suitcase I had to check (for a Trans-Atlantic back from Europe after spend some time in Barcelona) the airlines misplaced both our bags for days (first claiming they didn't make the connection in London, then the next day saying they didn't where the bags were, before eventually finding them the day we sailed). You can start out with anything you want, but unless you are flying in your own aircraft, they will sooner or later misplace or flat out lose it (if you don't believe that, visit the Unclaimed Baggage Store in Scottsboro, AL [come on guys, it wasn't that this baggage was unclaimed; you LOST it]). Rather than start with the kitchen sink and wonder if it will arrive, I personally prefer to have what I need when I actually arrive at my destination. I have NEVER lost a suitcase that I carried on, and I have been to every continent with a carry-on (yes, including Antarctica).

Thom