Engine noise on Tauck?

seaworthy1

Has anyone booked a Cat 3 cabin on Taucks Jewell class boats? If so, how bad is the engine noise? It is $1300 cheaper than the Cat 4 right next door.

I've done two river cruises with Tauck and I never heard of anyone complaining or even talking about engine noise during the cruise.

Do call Tauck and specifically ask them about the cheaper cabins. I did a cruise on the Emerald 5 years ago and chose one of the less expensive cabins. The noise was horrible but I seem to recall rather than engine noise it was the thrusters going through locks. The people in the other 3 cabins had the same problem. In May, I was on the Savor and it was a wonderful trip.

• 2 years later...

We were in Category 7 on the Treasures this past October and, yeah, not sure if it was actual engine noise, but during the overnight hours there was this considerable vibration....we had to keep the bathroom door open cause otherwise, with it closed, the door would have just rattled in the frame. The noise was possibly due to some sort of cavitation issue? Don't know, but there were times while trying to sleep when I felt like I was riding on the Amtrak Auto Train on the way to Florida. Interestingly, never heard anybody mention a single word during the entire river cruise about the vibration / noise.

We have done two Tauck river cruises, both in category 3, not noise at all! We are booked next month on their Rhone River cruise, but unfortunately this ship does not offer the ability to book a Category 3 cabin (too small). We loved the category 3, great size and great to have the two deck windows!!