Hotels in Prague

doreman

We are going for sure and are spending 3 nites in Prague and 1 nite in Nuremberg prior to sailing. I need some help with suggestions for a hotel in a good location in Prague, things to see and do there and good places to eat. They are not on the Euro so will my ATM and debit card work there? Also any suggestions for restaurants in Nuremberg ? As always thanks a lot. Be a rookie at this you all have been life savers. I'll probably have some more questions later.

We also stayed at The Archibald at Charles Bridge. Loved the location as well as the hotel. We walked everywhere and the restaurants located in the area by the hotel, even though I cannot remember the names, were all very good. We would just go out and walk until something caught our eye. We were never disappointed.

Walked to the funicular up to the petrin tower through the park where there was some very interesting modern sculpture. Took the tram to the castle (go past the castle and get off that way you walk downhill).

The location is right off the Charles Bridge so it makes it easy to get most anywhere you want to go but it is on a quiet side street along the river.

We are going for sure and are spending 3 nites in Prague and 1 nite in Nuremberg prior to sailing. I need some help with suggestions for a hotel in a good location in Prague, things to see and do there and good places to eat. They are not on the Euro so will my ATM and debit card work there? Also any suggestions for restaurants in Nuremberg ? As always thanks a lot. Be a rookie at this you all have been life savers. I'll probably have some more questions later.

We were in Prague this time last year and stayed at the Hilton Old Town. I loved the location, within walking distance of the Old Town Square, which is where the astrological clock is (not to be missed but keep your wallet secure). There are a zillion restaurants, all of the ones we ate in were good, and shops line both sides of the street up to the Powder Tower and beyond. There was also an ATM on the corner. We use a bank ATM card and the only problem we had with the ATM was that it dispensed large bills. I recommend and use a Capital One card for as much as I can (purchases and restaurants) there's no foreign transaction fee and I don't have to worry about losing a large amount of cash. Things not to be missed in Prague are the Old Town Square and the Jewish Quarter, which is just beyond Old Town Square....it was one of the most moving places I've ever been and between the two you'll spend a full day. The Prague Castle, which is also a full day trip and for a romantic evening, dinner by the Charles Bridge followed by a cruise on the river. Prague is a wonderful city!! I wish I'd had more time there, but we're going back next year. Can't help with Nuremburg...we were only there for a day and the Courtroom was closed to the public because there was a trial in session.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We stayed at the Retezova Apartments after a Danube River cruise last December. If spending 3+ nights, we've been staying at an apartment rather than a hotel. It is usually bigger and less expensive, although without daily maid service. This apartment is in a 17th century building with up-to-date amenities and is very close to the Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, shops, and restaurants. There was a living room with dining room area, full kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom with a king bed. In addition, there is a front desk that is open 24/7. We walked to a supermarket and had a number of meals "at home." For us, it feels like living in the neighborhood rather than staying at a hotel.

Hi - We stayed at the Hotel Agneshof in Nuremberg - and it was very central to the old town area. We would stay there again if we were in Nuremberg.

We ate one night at the Alte Kuch'n - and the next night night at the Bratwursthausle by St. Sebald church. (Love Nuremberger sausages... although I love the ones in Regensburg too....). If you aren't a sausage/saurkraut fan - there is an Italian restaurant that overlooks the Central square that is pretty good.

We actually booked a guide in Nuremberg - and he took us to the Documentation Centre. We didn't have a lot of time, so he was able to keep us focused while in there.

We also went to the **** Art Bunker. Tours are only offered in German, but they do have an English audio guide. You can't get in without a guide.

You shouldn't have any problems with ATM/debit cards in Prague. Lots around.

Enjoy!!

Fran

We stayed at the Arcadia Residence (B&B) in Prague, and it had the biggest rooms/apartments I've ever seen. It's maybe 1/2 block from the astrological clock the staff is extremely helpful, they serve breakfast in your room at whatever time you choose. Check it out on Trip Advisor, I think it's rated the #1 B&B in Prague and I recommend it highly. We had no problem getting local currency with our ATM card.

We were in both cities last month. In Nurnberg, we stayed at a Holiday Inn in the City Center with easy walking distance to the walled part of the city. We ate at a wonderful restaurant that was recommended to us called Barfuber it's in the pedestrian mall area in a large brown building underneath. It was very crowded and delicious. During the day we ate along the pedestrian mall area where the markets were - eating at our version of food trucks.

In Prague, we stayed at the Intercontinental and like all the other hotels, everything was in walking distance. We ate at the Cafe Imperial based on recommendations that I had read here. We were unable to get reservations but our hotel concierge was able to. It looks very expensive and it really wasn't. Go to their website and look at the menu then do a currency conversion.

We did a free walking tour of Prague. At the square all the different color umbrellas are there for the tours (think they begin around 11 AM) We took the one with the green umbrella because he was a native English speaker and it was easier for my husband to understand him. the tour guide was from Washington State.

We also arranged a cooking lesson in a person's home. Teresa, a licensed tour guide, was a wonderful hostess and we really enjoyed our lesson, the meal and the conversation with her and her husband.

The Aria Hotel is more expensive than some ($225+ per night but incredibly reasonable by US standards) but is an absolutely wonderful 5 star hotel on the Castle side of the river (but within walking distance to everything). As the hotel describes themselves:

Aria is Prague's world class Luxury Hotel. An Oasis for the Jet Set knowing this privileged place with its Baroque Garden, world famous Panorama Terrace and 51 unique rooms; each celebrates an Artist of Music. Designed by Versace's genius Magnoli. Introducing the treasures of a private collection of original masterpieces by Chagall, Picasso, Braque or Dali. A peaceful serenity over the rooftops of the City of 1000 Spires.