Newbie to Celebrity Cruises and need help

Scrufsmom

Hello, As the title says "newbie" to Celebrity, but not new to cruising. Trying to get info regarding this cruise line. We have sailed on other ships and have searched an itinerary that sounds like a great opportunity for us on the Celebrity line. In fact we want to sail on the Celebrity Reflection. Anyone sailed on this ship before? Would love to hear input on your experience. Yes, I've been reading the reviews and I'm liking what I see so far. We are a couple in our late 40's which seems like the ideal age group according to reviews. Love the experience of cabin life although some people prefer just a location to shower and sleep. We want to relax, but have fun at the same time. My husband is disabled with mobility issues, but we don't need a handicapped cabin. That is left for someone who truly requires that location. We are looking at a 10 day Ultimate cruise to the Caribbean which would offer 2 formal nights. My hubby isn't a fan of dress up because it requires him to wear slacks which is part of his handicappe (nerve damage). So with that said I did read that no shorts are allowed in the evenings on the ship. Is this true? Do they enforce such attire? Do they close down the pools and decks in the evening? Just trying to get a feel of whether this may or may not be the ideal choice for us. I appreciate any and all who can shed light on this. Look forward to reading your responses. Thank you

We have sailed Reflection twice and love her, she is just a beautiful ship with wonderful crew and excellent food. However, the dress code may be a deal breaker for you. Dress code has gotten more casual over the years, but shorts for men are still not allowed in the MDR for dinner. You could perhaps eat in the buffet, but I don't know if you are open to that. Long pants for men are not required throughout the ship in the evenings, just in the dining rooms. NCL does allow shorts in many (although not all) of their restaurants, so that might be a line to look at.

We have sailed Reflection twice and love her, she is just a beautiful ship with wonderful crew and excellent food. However, the dress code may be a deal breaker for you. Dress code has gotten more casual over the years, but shorts for men are still not allowed in the MDR for dinner. You could perhaps eat in the buffet, but I don't know if you are open to that. Long pants for men are not required throughout the ship in the evenings, just in the dining rooms. NCL does allow shorts in many (although not all) of their restaurants, so that might be a line to look at.

Thank you for responding. If its just the MDR, then we are good. I don't want a complete casual setting cause I like to dress up a bit from time to time. I clean up very well, lol. As for the nod to NCL, we have sailed her before and have to say it was the worst ship, worst experience EVER. So that will never be an option for us again. At this time I like to hear what others have to say and so far, you have inspired.

Outside decks never close, pool hours are usually 7 AM to 10 PM. Celebrity no longer has formal nights, instead they now have chic nights.Basic dress will be anywhere from Tux/gown to designer jeans(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373699 ). Shorts are allowed anywhere on the ship anytime except MDR at dinner and specialty restaurants.

We're a very similar demographic to you and your husband, and are sailing for the first time on the Summit next year. I too have mobility issues, and I use a cane when the walking is rough or uneven. We did get a handicap cabin as I was unable to make that step up into the bathroom when the seas were rough and I was stiff (middle of the night). I too felt bad about taking from someone in need, but it turned out I needed the grab bars and no step just as much. This will be our 2nd time sailing in a handicap cabin, the first being on NCL this year. Just some food for thought.

... if you and/or your DH find something on a particular nights menu that you may want, it could be possible to order through room service and have delivered to cabin.

Just a thought... or even possibly, get something to go from the dinner MDR and eat in OVC... not sure what the policy is on that approach though.

I believe there will be a great number of options for you both at dinner.

Go, enjoy and bon voyage

All his input is greatly appreciated. I'm trying not to focus so much on the MDR as much as I thought evening attire was strict on dress code. When I read the review on here it stated so, but after your responses I'm more excited about the decision we are making. My DH uses a cane to help walk, but also requires a scooter for longer ranges. So the cabin is easy access for him not so worried. Now just to find out about the ship itself and excursions. Can't wait till next year!!

Hello, As the title says "newbie" to Celebrity, but not new to cruising. Trying to get info regarding this cruise line. We have sailed on other ships and have searched an itinerary that sounds like a great opportunity for us on the Celebrity line. In fact we want to sail on the Celebrity Reflection. Anyone sailed on this ship before? Would love to hear input on your experience. Yes, I've been reading the reviews and I'm liking what I see so far. We are a couple in our late 40's which seems like the ideal age group according to reviews. Love the experience of cabin life although some people prefer just a location to shower and sleep. We want to relax, but have fun at the same time. My husband is disabled with mobility issues, but we don't need a handicapped cabin. That is left for someone who truly requires that location. We are looking at a 10 day Ultimate cruise to the Caribbean which would offer 2 formal nights. My hubby isn't a fan of dress up because it requires him to wear slacks which is part of his handicappe (nerve damage). So with that said I did read that no shorts are allowed in the evenings on the ship. Is this true? Do they enforce such attire? Do they close down the pools and decks in the evening? Just trying to get a feel of whether this may or may not be the ideal choice for us. I appreciate any and all who can shed light on this. Look forward to reading your responses. Thank you

7 diff lines over the last 29 years and the Reflection is our favorite ship, tho our 10 days on the Equinox last Thanksgiving, the wifester is still telling anyone that asks that it was our best cruise EVER!

There are no required 'truly formal' evenings on Celebrity anymore. But they will not allow shorts in the MDR during a dinner seating. Anywhere else around the ship is okie dokie. Tho you may not want to wear them into Murano which is a white table cloth 4 star experience delivered by white gloved servers in ship formal wear.

EW

Just a thought/suggestion: Get your hubby a pair of zip-off pants: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_54krxqzbtg_b_p10?rh=n%3A3375251%2Ck%3Aconvertible+pants+zip+off+pants&keywords=convertible+pants+zip+off+pants&ie=UTF8

Wear them to dinner and after you leave the dining room, zip off the lower leg and wear them as shorts. EM

• 2 weeks later...

1st and last night, most cruises r laid back, due to late luggage arrival, and then packing at end. I would assume h can wear shorts in Mdr those nights, as on others we have been on. Or just bring a dr. Note, stating reason, I can't imagine them arguing that.

If your husband uses a scooter sometimes, why not book a HA cabin? There's more space in general, and like others have mentioned, no step up into the bathroom.

Have fun on your cruise. We found Reflection to have the youngest vibe compared to the other Celebrity ships we've sailed on.

We love Celebriity and we love the Reflection. We sailed on her in June 2014 and have another cruise in October. We are DINKs in our late 40s and early 50s and she hits the sweet spot for us. Here is a link to a short review I did after our cruise.

Bravo Celebrity! My .02 on our June 23, 2014, 11 Night Cruise Mediterranean

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D2066933&share_tid=2066933&share_fid=24703&share_type=t

Edited by Tommy3putts

Reflection is our favorite ship by far. We are also in our 40's. Celebrity no longer has formal nights but in general doesn't allow shorts in the main dining room. I would talk to the restaurant manager if it is something that is necessary for his comfort and I am sure they would allow it. Scooters are also available through the ship and may be very helpful for you.