Looking for a great itinerary ?

norwegianwood57

Sea days...lots of sea days! I love TA's - our TA next fall was perfect for me. It will be our transportation back to the US after nine - ish weeks in Europe. I can't imagine cruising in Europe - one day somewhere is not enough!

I could not have done a better job if I planned it myself.

7 days at sea

stop in Boston - used to live near there - love Boston!

overnight in NYC - again - LOVE the city! always wanted to sail in/out of there

sea day

overnight in Bermuda - been on my bucket list ever since my Dad sent me a post card from there with all of those pretty colored houses! @30 years ago!

sea day

Nassau - might as well be a sea day as we will not get off the ship!

Miami

4774Papa, thanks for the link to your Japan cruise. We are booked for a cruise in Japan in 2018. I enjoyed your photos and review. It was the first real look at what we will experience.

Thanks again for posting.

We're looking towards 2018 for Japan and wondering which cruise you found enticing? Thanks

We have found one.

In November, 2017, the Infinity will be going through the Panama Canal and down the west coast of South America.

It starts in Fort Lauderdale , goes to Grand Cayman, then through the canal.

The first port in South America is Manta. We have been to Ecuador, lovely people, great ecological reserves, great beaches. In Manta we are doing the Pacoche forest hike, with its howling monkeys and many species of birds, also going to Montecristi where the Panama Hats originate from.

Second port is Lima , Peru, we are there overnight. Two amazing days in Lima with all its history and culture.

On to Pisco, there we will be doing what they call "the poor man's Galapagos" by going to the Ballastas Islands and then to Paracas National Reserve.

Next is a stop in Chile in Arika. An amazing port where we will visit Geoglyphs, olive groves, Llama caravans etc.

The Cruise ends in Valparaiso, a very colorful , vibrant port.

We have done close to 40 cruises with Celebrity, most to Europe. I had begun to complain about the lackluster itineraries, until I found this one. All these ports are new to us.

Can anyone else recommend an itinerary they think is special?

We did Panama Canal from San Diego to FLL and I thought that was outstanding....I'm almost tempted to do it again with this itinerary. We loved the Infinity and would sail her again in a heartbeat.

We did Panama Canal from San Diego to FLL and I thought that was outstanding....I'm almost tempted to do it again with this itinerary. We loved the Infinity and would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Hi -- our original Panama Canal Trip was LA (I believe - CA anyway) to FLL a few years ago. It was fabulous. We knew we wanted to repeat it, while they are still sailing through the old canal. However, we definitely wanted to take the Westbound Route this time. This way you gain an hour every few days vs. losing an hour. This specific itinerary has the added bonus of ending in Valparaiso. We will enjoy a few days in Valparaiso/Santiago b/4 heading home.

Hi -- our original Panama Canal Trip was LA (I believe - CA anyway) to FLL a few years ago. It was fabulous. We knew we wanted to repeat it, while they are still sailing through the old canal. However, we definitely wanted to take the Westbound Route this time. This way you gain an hour every few days vs. losing an hour. This specific itinerary has the added bonus of ending in Valparaiso. We will enjoy a few days in Valparaiso/Santiago b/4 heading home.

We're on the East Coast and decided to fly to San Diego and let the cruise absorb the time change. I'm interested in this one because we didn't stop in any of the South American ports except Cartagena. It was exciting going through the old canal....but now I'd like to go through the new one and DH is a civil engineer, so I KNOW he'd like to do it...I would just have to confirm that Infinity used the new lock before I booked because she was the largest of X ships that could do full transit and I wonder if that would preclude her from using the new one. But it was fabulous, wasn't it? :D

We're on the East Coast and decided to fly to San Diego and let the cruise absorb the time change. I'm interested in this one because we didn't stop in any of the South American ports except Cartagena. It was exciting going through the old canal....but now I'd like to go through the new one and DH is a civil engineer, so I KNOW he'd like to do it...I would just have to confirm that Infinity used the new lock before I booked because she was the largest of X ships that could do full transit and I wonder if that would preclude her from using the new one. But it was fabulous, wasn't it? :D

We loved going through the old canal. With the new locks open now, I wonder if the new locks would be used by a cruise ship or the old locks. I know the new locks allow larger ships to go through the canal, so those locks may be used primarily for the large ships.

Cruising through the Canal is absolutely fabulous!!! We loved watching them working on the new one, on our first trip. The new canal opened to commercial traffic on June 26th, 2016. Caribbean Princess is the first cruise ship scheduled to lock through the new canal in 2017. According to the article, at this time Celebrity does not have any ships scheduled to sail through the new canal.

We'll have to plan a 3rd trip to lock through the new canal some day. Our understanding is that this year's Infinity trip will be traveling through the original canal.

Cruising through the Canal is absolutely fabulous!!! We loved watching them working on the new one, on our first trip. The new canal opened to commercial traffic on June 26th, 2016. Caribbean Princess is the first cruise ship scheduled to lock through the new canal in 2017. According to the article, at this time Celebrity does not have any ships scheduled to sail through the new canal.

We'll have to plan a 3rd trip to lock through the new canal some day. Our understanding is that this year's Infinity trip will be traveling through the original canal.

We went through in 2013 and were listening to the guides telling us the new lock would be operational in ONE year....DH, the civil engineer, looks at the hole and says to me "I don't think that's gonna happen"... I will keep watching for one going through the new lock...but there are still some "new" places we have to cruise to first! :D

PS: Loved Talkeetna!!

I had to chuckle when you added this. First visited Alaska on a spur of the moment trip in 2000 & decided had to move here. Started the process in 2001 - took a leave of absence from work & did the seasonal thing for a couple of years (plus caretaking a lodge in the winter). Had to return to work June 2003 or leave the company permanently. So returned to work in the Lower 48 for a year. Took a chance on an opportunity in 2004 to create something new in AK. Spent that Fall, Winter & Spring building in Denali for an established Lodge.

In 2005/2006 we decided we wanted to build a permanent home for us in Alaska. We loved Talkeetna - so started looking for property there. Did not find the property until after we put over 6,000 miles on the Jeep traveling around the state looking. Then there was an ad for a property in Talkeetna, on Answer Creek. Well we found our answer @ Answer Creek & it was NO. However, when we headed to the realtor's office - we learned the person who held the door open for us, as we were entering & they were leaving, had just listed a property. We immediately went to look at it & made an offer on the spot. She allowed us to set up camp that night, we closed on the property 3 days later & started building our house. We truly love Talkeetna!! Not only do we have a house we love, in a town we love, in a state we love - I have actually returned to work for my original company - only this time in AK :)

I had to chuckle when you added this. First visited Alaska on a spur of the moment trip in 2000 & decided had to move here. Started the process in 2001 - took a leave of absence from work & did the seasonal thing for a couple of years (plus caretaking a lodge in the winter). Had to return to work June 2003 or leave the company permanently. So returned to work in the Lower 48 for a year. Took a chance on an opportunity in 2004 to create something new in AK. Spent that Fall, Winter & Spring building in Denali for an established Lodge.

In 2005/2006 we decided we wanted to build a permanent home for us in Alaska. We loved Talkeetna - so started looking for property there. Did not find the property until after we put over 6,000 miles on the Jeep traveling around the state looking. Then there was an ad for a property in Talkeetna, on Answer Creek. Well we found our answer @ Answer Creek & it was NO. However, when we headed to the realtor's office - we learned the person who held the door open for us, as we were entering & they were leaving, had just listed a property. We immediately went to look at it & made an offer on the spot. She allowed us to set up camp that night, we closed on the property 3 days later & started building our house. We truly love Talkeetna!! Not only do we have a house we love, in a town we love, in a state we love - I have actually returned to work for my original company - only this time in AK :)

Wonderful story...thank you for sharing. :D