For all you food/cocktail lovers out there....help out a CC friend

2calgarycruisers

So many things :) And considering that preferences are very personal, here are some of my faves...

• Cafe al Bacio, pt 1: As others have noted, all of the pastries are free. They change between morning (mostly croissant-types) and afternoon (more cakes and cookies). All pretty good.
  • Cafe al Bacio pt. 2: A nice coffee menu, mostly covered (I think) by the classic package. I forget what the Aspen had (some kind of liquor), but I liked it!
  • Qsine: Someone mentioned the food is bland. I disagree. It may not be spectacular, but much of it is fun and innovative. Best with a larger group of people, so that you feel more at liberty to try more things. Love the Lava Crab and the Sushi Lollipops... just saying :)
  • Buffet: Love the eggs benedict station for breakfast. It's rather worthless for lunch, but since I have a hearty breakfast and dinner, I don't eat much at lunch!
  • MDR: Very good food. Is much of it "out of this world"? Probably not. But a good chance to try things that I would never "pay" for. And the good thing is that if you don't like what you ordered, they'll be happy to bring you something else.
  • Drinks: The Martini bar is fun and if you like martinis, they have a ton. I do think that most (if not all) are included only in the premium package. The special of the day can be fun to try. I've had great luck just asking a bartender to get creative - as in "I have the premium package and I want something frozen and rummy". They seem to have fun and always deliver!

As for classic v. premium, it seems that the biggest difference is the martinis and the wine selection. As a wine drinker, the classic package only offers a very limited selection, so I always upgrade. The martinis wouldn't be a deal breaker, but are an added benefit.

I like some items from the Vegetarian menu, though I'm not a vegetarian. My favorite is the Israeli couscous entree. It is well worth it and I don't miss the meat though I am a carnivore.

If the chef is good, the Moroccan dishes are good. If not, they are bland and boring (because not everyone likes Moroccan spices).

Enjoy.

Beth

MDR Escargot, beef carpaccio and creme brulee. Cold soups if not in the MDR check at lunch in the Oceanview Cafe I think they are near the sandwiches on the S class ships. Also check out The Porch on Reflections and Silhouette. There is a up charge for eating at The Porch, but the shrimp and mussels are great. Remember you can order one at a time or more. I had 2 shrimp cocktails and 2 orders of mussels, plus soup.

sounds like you are a seafood fan like me - have you tried the seafood tower? that really appealed to me...

So many things :) And considering that preferences are very personal, here are some of my faves...

• Cafe al Bacio, pt 1: As others have noted, all of the pastries are free. They change between morning (mostly croissant-types) and afternoon (more cakes and cookies). All pretty good.
  • Cafe al Bacio pt. 2: A nice coffee menu, mostly covered (I think) by the classic package. I forget what the Aspen had (some kind of liquor), but I liked it!
  • Qsine: Someone mentioned the food is bland. I disagree. It may not be spectacular, but much of it is fun and innovative. Best with a larger group of people, so that you feel more at liberty to try more things. Love the Lava Crab and the Sushi Lollipops... just saying :)
  • Buffet: Love the eggs benedict station for breakfast. It's rather worthless for lunch, but since I have a hearty breakfast and dinner, I don't eat much at lunch!
  • MDR: Very good food. Is much of it "out of this world"? Probably not. But a good chance to try things that I would never "pay" for. And the good thing is that if you don't like what you ordered, they'll be happy to bring you something else.
  • Drinks: The Martini bar is fun and if you like martinis, they have a ton. I do think that most (if not all) are included only in the premium package. The special of the day can be fun to try. I've had great luck just asking a bartender to get creative - as in "I have the premium package and I want something frozen and rummy". They seem to have fun and always deliver!

As for classic v. premium, it seems that the biggest difference is the martinis and the wine selection. As a wine drinker, the classic package only offers a very limited selection, so I always upgrade. The martinis wouldn't be a deal breaker, but are an added benefit.

Qsine - I think we may need to take a risk on this one - hopefully we'll make some friends on board to enjoy this one together! We love innovative food and this looks fun.

And, yes we both enjoy our wine so I think an upgrade to premium is pretty much a must.

Thanks for the info - I am a HUGE planner and enjoy planning just as much as the vacation I think! I just thought it would be helpful, and fun, to have a good amount of info like this in one thread.

Too much "over-planning" on these boards. It's a vacation....just go with the flow. Part of the fun is just seeing what's next, whether it's a port, a shipboard activity or what's on the menu...

Too much "over-planning" on these boards. It's a vacation....just go with the flow. Part of the fun is just seeing what's next, whether it's a port, a shipboard activity or what's on the menu...

not if you enjoy the planning though! It doesn't stress me out, just makes my "vacation" longer.

For some, planning is a big part of it, it adds to the overall excitement. I would never turn up at a port blind not knowing what I wanted to do, or where I wanted to go, I might miss something!!!

I'm sure I can search and find out what is an Aspen Coffee but can you share? and what makes it unforgettable? and maybe unmakable at home?

I believe it's kahlua, bailey's and frangelico, with coffee topped with whipped cream

For some, planning is a big part of it, it adds to the overall excitement. I would never turn up at a port blind not knowing what I wanted to do, or where I wanted to go, I might miss something!!!

Pre-planning is part of the fun. You get to enjoy were you are going to visit before you get there.

Also, if you don't plan, you don't really know what is really important to visit. Pre-planning is especially important if you are going to visit some places, like Japan, China, Russia, and the Middle East. Further, if you arrived at a port and then wanted to go somewhere, but discovered that all those tours were sold out and that getting there on your own was just not feasible.

Even going to Europe or South America, finding the right tour or planning to do it yourself it is important to pre-plan. To do it yourself, you need to know, am I going to take the subway, take a train or bus, or taxi. How far away is what I am going to see, how long to travel there and return without missing the ship.

I'm new to Celebrity but when cruising RCL I made sure I found out what was not to be missed out on in terms of food and drinks. Please share the one (or more) food item/drink that you dream about when you go home. Thanks and I'll share the results of my exhaustive investigations into the gastronomic and mixology scene on the Silhouette!

For me it starts with the Caesar salad WITH the Anchovies. A nice hot app. followed by a sorbet intermezzo(feel free to request it!) Then on to a great Beef Wellington. Followed by tea & a Hot Fudge Sundae with extra sauce.

okay... so you bring up a quandary for me - currently we have the classic drink package so from what I understand no Martini Bar unless OOP (not happening) so challenged as to upgrade to premium.

If we were doing a caribbean cruise it would be a no brainer but with this being a port intensive, non lounging around much type cruise is it worth it to upgrade, and yes we enjoy our alcoholic drinks and nice wine.

That being said - if we do upgrade - what martini's should we try?

There really are few if any "nice" (i.e., palatable) wines on the Classic Package list. Upgrade to Premium for less than $12 a day all-in. That's less than one great martini or good glass of wine.

so I'm thinking you are referring to the cheese after the entre? I love love good cheese and to me if it is fantastic it is almost worth the cost of a specialty restaurant - I'm assuming choices must rotate but any idea on what to expect?

Fourme d'Ambert blue, Comte, Tomme d'Savoie,Chevre,Epoisses,Livarot, Pont l'Eveque are just a few I remember.

One day on our recent cruise was cupcake day. My husband and I both got a different kind (at the buffet) and when we were done we both turned to each other and at about the same time said "that was delicious". Who knew a cupcake could be so good.

Took notes from these two threads for our last two cruises. Lots of great info there! They are a year or two old so some info may be outdated but much still applies!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2218867 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089073&page=1

Also taking notes from this thread! Our last few cruises have been really port intensive. This time around we have been to each port already and have more sea days. Really looking forward to really being able to appreciate more fully what the ship has to offer!

Edited by SeasideMemories
Fix links to referenced threads

In Tuscan, the Beef TarTar is a MUST, and the filet over the rib eye all day long.

It is on par with the filet in Chops.

Sorry, but I think the specialty venues on Celebrity are a step above anything on Royal Caribbean. I have eaten at all of them. :p

okay... so you bring up a quandary for me - currently we have the classic drink package so from what I understand no Martini Bar unless OOP (not happening) so challenged as to upgrade to premium.

If we were doing a caribbean cruise it would be a no brainer but with this being a port intensive, non lounging around much type cruise is it worth it to upgrade, and yes we enjoy our alcoholic drinks and nice wine.

That being said - if we do upgrade - what martini's should we try?

The upgrade to Premium is the cost of ONE cocktail per day. That is well worth it!

As for a very good Martini, just a classic martini made with Pravda vodka and ask for a blue cheese stuffed olive - or bring your own blue cheese stuffed olives like I do!!

I also like a dessert martini made of 1/3 Bailey's, 1/3 Kaluah, and 1/3 Butterscotch Schnapps. Explain what you want and the bartender will make it for you.

Qsine - I think we may need to take a risk on this one - hopefully we'll make some friends on board to enjoy this one together! We love innovative food and this looks fun.

And, yes we both enjoy our wine so I think an upgrade to premium is pretty much a must.

Please give Qsine a try. DH and I ended up with three other couples and had a blast together. I know you will enjoy it, but it is more fun sharing with other couples.

Impossible to choose just one item! The muesli for breakfast in Blu. The free pastries in Cafe del Bachio along with a mocha coffee. The hot cider oatmeal in Aqua Spa for breakfast. The mint lemonade at the Sunset Bar. Almost everything in Blu. Grasshoppers. Kalua and Creams. Pina Coladas. Mudslides. I could just keep going on and on...........