Recent Reflections on Tuscan's Ribeye?

Tommy3putts

I am a steak eater. My preferred steak is a nice thick ribeye. My wife and I sailed on the Reflection in June of 2014. With one or two exceptions overall it was an amazing cruise experience. Rarely would I be so critical of an issue. However there was one thing on the cruise that didn't cut it and meat my expectations. That was the Ribeye steak served in the Tuscan Grill as well as Blu. It was an experience that was not well done by Celebrity. I ordered the ribeye twice--once in each restaurant. Both times it was embarrassing how bad it was--paper thin, tough and not cooked properly. I felt like a chump. I had been warned here on CC but didn't believe it could be that bad. I was wrong. The other cuts of steaks as well as the other menu items were fine. With the exception of the ribeye, we enjoyed Tuscan.

Fast forward to October 2016. We are set to sail on Reflection again and looking forward to at least two evenings in Tuscan. Are there any recent Reflection passengers who have been brave enough to order the ribeye? If so any improvements or observations?

Cheers.

Tom

We sailed on the Reflection and ate twice in Tuscan Grill. I had the filet mignon and it was just superb. The other time, we had lunch there. I would say the ribeye was very good but was rather thinly cut. I would not pay an up charge for it.

In Blu, I stayed away from the ribeye. Went with the filet mignon and a sirloin special one night. Again, really well prepared. I was surprised how good the sirloin was as I am not usually a fan of that cut.

I did think that the steaks were improved over previous cruises.

I recommend that you go with the thought that it has not improved enough for your taste, order it and be prepared with a 2nd dish in mind to order.

Not sure what an Italian Steakhouse really is, and what the metrics are for comparing it to a Ruth Chris, Longhorn's, Smith & Wollensky's or Charlie Palmer's which are 'American' style steakhouses....

It may not be in your best interest to order again if these are your starting points.... it ain't going to happen, to be sure and that is coming from a vegan! ;-)

Research for a good steakhouse or restaurant that serves great steaks while in a port on your sailing... tripadvisor can be a good friend in that regards...

bon voyage T3p

Kind of in the same boat (no pun intended) as the OP as we last sailed on Reflection in Oct 2013 and are going to again on Oct 2016. I had the ribeye in TG and I thought it was adequate. I also had one at the Lawn Club Grill and thought it was much better but wouldn't put it on par with a high end steakhouse that may differences in beef grade, cut, and prep options.

That said, we're likely going to give it another go during the October's sailing.

Thanks! I'm naive enough to think the ribeye situation would have improved. Looks like it will be filets or strip steaks. How can other cuts be so good and the ribeye so bad? Why bother?
Why don't you order the ribeye and the filet? If the ribeye is not to your taste, you could have the filet.

After reading on CC how good the ribeye was, a member of our party recently ordered the ribeye in Tuscan while on the Silhouette. It was very tough and tasteless. Lots of grizzle.

Edited by Iamthesea

Why don't you order the ribeye and the filet? If the ribeye is not to your taste, you could have the filet.

In 2014 our waiter offered to switch out the ribeye for a filet. Unfortunately I was so full from the other courses I declined. All other aspects of the meal were great!

I've had lousy luck with steaks in the Tuscan Grill. On a recent Reflection TA, I ordered the ribeye. It was tough and gristly. The waiter offered to a filet as a substitute. I ordered it medium rare. It came to me medium well. On the next try, it was refrigerator cold in the middle. I gave up. I don't know if it's just a streak of good luck, but all steaks from the Lawn Club Grill have been exactly as ordered.

My first experience with Tuscan Grill was Reflection 2012 and I went again on Connie in 2014 and both were awesome experiences.

Fast forward to this year on the Eclipse paper thin rib eye and not good. Then in case Eclipse was a fluke I tried again on Solstice and again not good:(

We'll go to TG on Reflection next month but I'm staying away from the rib eye from now on.

Lawn Club on Ref had a very nice ribeye...they present it to you for approval before it is cooked,.,

Maybe try there next time unless it has been downgraded there as well...At least u can see it before you waste time and money for it.

Way back they also showed you the beef selection before cooking in Tuscan,,now I guess they don't

Edited by hcat

Lawn Club on Ref had a very nice ribeye...they present it to you for approval before it is cooked,.,

Maybe try there next time unless it has been downgraded there as well...At least u can see it before you waste time and money for it.

Way back they also showed you the beef selection before cooking in Tuscan,,now I guess they don't

Thanks. The Lawn club was the pleasant surprise for us on the Reflection. We loved the outdoor dining venue. The choclate chip cookie desert was awesome. We are looking forward to dining there as well as TG multiple times on our Oct cruise.

We ate in Reflection LCG 3 times last December. Even in the display case the ribeye did not look promising - compressed, not relaxed, not decently marbled. Went with filet and/or tenderloin kabobs and never looked back.

Talked to Mgr and mentioned I thought the filet mignon was much better quality than the ribeye - he agreed. Since we get Filet at Tuscan, mixed kabobs at LCG is our pref now. HAPPY EATING

Wife had the rib eye in Blu in April, 2016. It was thick, prepared as she ordered it, and very tasty. She is a foody and very particular. She thought the steak was as good as any she ever tasted. Her only complaint........the rib eye was too big for her to eat it all! :rolleyes:

Anymore I usually stick with filets or NY strip not only on cruises, but in land-based restaurants as well when odering beef. I'm simply too chicken to pay top dollar for a cut that I've been disappointed with too many times (gristle and fat).

Wife had the rib eye in Blu in April, 2016. It was thick, prepared as she ordered it, and very tasty. She is a foody and very particular. She thought the steak was as good as any she ever tasted. Her only complaint........the rib eye was too big for her to eat it all! :rolleyes:

The rib eye in Blu was part of the source of our frustration with our waiter last year who advised strong against cooking it medium rare and despite my DW insisting it was then served well done. The waiter then had a tantrum when she sent it back. The steak she then had was good but that was our last appearance in Blu.

I love a small thick and finely marbled rib eye. As others have said it isn't a cut to have 'big and thin'. Whilst I have never had a 'bad steak' I have had some nicer than others. Now when we dine in Tuscan I do ask for exactly what I want 'a little thick piece'! This message seems to get through to the chef and I have to say the last couple I had on Equinox and Solstice were lovely.

So, take my advice, don't wait to receive a cut you don't like be specific with your order and see what happens!

We have been to Tuscan many times on many ships over many years. While we still think ist is OK, we don´t have an higher expectation of it any more. It´s just nothing special any more - just OK. We will probably not go again unless friends would go and we would join them.

If there is a Lawn Club Grille on board we much prefer the steaks there.

It just hit me early this morning, Tuscan is an 'Italian' Steakhouse and not an American steakhouse where portions and presentations can be very different, so, personally, my expectations would be different based on this.

Is it quite possible that steak eaters need to request an American style of restaurant in lieu of Italian?

Just a thought, just a thought...

bon voyage and grande mangiare!

I enjoy a good quality rib eye. But in a majority of times, I have been disappointed. I usually will ask the waiter what steak he recommends and it has usually been the filet mignon in Tuscan Grill. It is probably my favorite as they cook it perfectly. Plus it is the right size as you get alot to eat in that Specialty Restaurant.

I believe the cook and the cut of meat makes a difference. On our last Reflection cruise, all the steaks I ordered were outstanding. That was a comment I also heard from others. The time before on the same ship, the steaks were small, tough and had less taste.

I am the daughter of a butcher. First of all the best steaks on the Reflection and Silhouette are at the Lawn Grill. Having said that, you will not get a one inch or more bone in Rib steak on any ship. I have sailed on many celebrity ships and always dine in each specialty restaurant at least once per cruise and can tell you, you will never get a steak as good or thick as the steaks from a good butcher cut to order or at a fine steak house.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I ate in Tuscan Grill on Reflection in Nov. I agree with the OP that the Ribeye was very disappointing. Thin, grisly not much taste. In May on Infinity I ordered the dry-aged NY strip in the TG. It was an upcharge but well worth it. I highly recommend it for steak lovers.

we have been to tuscan many times on many ships over many years. While we still think ist is ok, we don´t have an higher expectation of it any more. It´s just nothing special any more - just ok. We will probably not go again unless friends would go and we would join them.

If there is a lawn club grille on board we much prefer the steaks there.

agree

Edited by greydog