Embarkation time slot.

windsurferfirst

We are first time cruisers so not at all sure on what to do on embarkation day. We sail on the Regal on 21st, today I got an email which showed time slots of boarding for each deck, ours is B deck for which the time slot allocated was 2.30pm. Should we wait for our time slot? or just show up at 11.30 - 12.00 and hope we get on earlier than allocated I don't want to miss the fun but also don't want to be stuck on the quay for hours if they are going to strictly enforce the time slots.

All advise welcome.

Windsurferfirst

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cruising.

First let me offer the normal disclaimer: The advice you receive here is worth what you paid for it.:D

The port you are going to is normally busy with heavy traffic going in and out.

Princess is trying to spread the load out over a wide time spot is why they send out the letters.

Your idea of going early might work, however things might impact you and you still might end up standing in line. Things like the ship coming in late which normally does not happen. Customs taking longer then normal clearing the ship. etc. Other passengers show up before you in huge numbers, etc.

This is your first cruise so your boarding pass will have a Blue Stripe across the top which indicates normal boarding vs. a Green stripe which is priority boarding. Normal boarding line is normally to the right side of the terminal and priority boarding is to the left.

Here is a short story to show my point. October 2015 we were to board ship in New York at Red Hook. However, the Pope was going to be in town and everybody was getting ready. The Coast Guard was conducting drills in the Port so we received a letter stating that boarding would not start until 2:00PM. We checked out of our Hotel at 11:00 and arrived at the port terminal about 12:00. We had priority boarding, however so did about 900 other passengers who had shown up early also. The other end of the terminal, blue stripe, was almost empty. However, they still had to wait until the priority line cleared before they could board. This is not normal, but could happen at any time.

With the understanding it might work out or it might not and you have to wait. There will be some chairs in the terminal, but they might also fill up and you could end up standing.

To sum this up. If you go early, and with luck, get on the ship there is a small chance your cabin might not be ready, so you will have to drag your hand carry luggage around with you. Head up to the Buffet for lunch and take a deep breath. You have made it on the ship and the Adventure begins.

Have fun, take lots of photo's to show friends and family who did not go.

Bob

We like to go early in order to have lunch in the dining room. But we have preferred boarding. Back when we were newer to taking cruises, we'd still show up before noon. Generally you can count on boarding to begin shortly before noon. How many people with priority boarding there are makes a difference as to when they'll start letting on the other people. They start with Elite and suites, handicapped, and then Platinum. And that's not considering any delays from the previous disembarkation due to Customs and Immigration or from having to do a deep cleaning from a previous outbreak of the norovirus or the possibility of computer problems at check-in that happened on our last cruise.

We got an email for our last three cruises (all out of San Pedro) saying not to arrive at the port before 1pm. We ignored that getting there when our land transportation (our sedan's trunk not large enough for two-week worth of luggage:o) got us there, usually by 12 or so. We were never sent away (I doubt if there's any list with these times at the terminal) and twice we had absolutely no lines or a two minute wait to check in. And we're gold status on Princess, so no special priority.

This is our first time to embark from Ft. Liquordale or Port Everglades on February 25 2016 and only our second Princess cruise so we will not have priority boarding. We are driving to Park N' Go and from there will be shuttled the Coral Princess at Pier 2. Our suggested check-in time is 1:30 PM. I prefer to arrive earlier in case of any traffic problems. Being too early is better than too late.

My question: Would arriving at Park N' Go (which is just a few minutes from Pier 2) at 10:30 AM and getting to Princess Pier 2 by 11:00 AM be a good idea or should we get there a bit earlier or later.

Any suggestions?

The two terminals I am most familiar with for Princess are San Pedro (LA) and Fort Lauderdale. I usually target arrival around 11-11:30 - sometimes by personal car, sometimes by rental car, sometimes by taxi or shuttle.

Fort Lauderdale has had its moments of distraction - the traffic flow can be just awful. San Pedro seems to have the departure and arrival traffic a little more orderly.

We have had to wait in a line (once or maybe twice) outside of the terminal - then I have questioned my judgement. I suppose if I waited to arrive at FLL or SP a little later, I would avoid the scrum - but I always want to get going and be "first on the ship," (which I never am but I do want to be.)

Once we drop off the luggage and get into the terminal, I don't mind the wait. I have done everything I can to get started on my vacation. Now it's just a matter of them calling my group number, and it's all up to the cruise line.

Quite a few people will advise waiting an hour or two later than me - and they just drop off luggage with no traffic jam, walk right in and up to the check-in desk, and on to the ship. I like the excitement, others like the efficiency. (Waiting a little while would spread out the demand, I admit.)

I have never had the terminal staff question my appointed arrival time vs my "first on the ship" time. As long as I have a boarding pass and passport they have let me in. The Boarding Process never gets old to me - it's exciting, I am with happy people, and the whole vacation is spread out before me. I bring a book or smart phone to pass the time - but usually I am people watching.

Enjoy your cruise!

Maddle

Once we drop off the luggage and get into the terminal, I don't mind the wait. I have done everything I can to get started on my vacation. Now it's just a matter of them calling my group number, and it's all up to the cruise line.

Quite a few people will advise waiting an hour or two later than me - and they just drop off luggage with no traffic jam, walk right in and up to the check-in desk, and on to the ship. I like the excitement, others like the efficiency. (Waiting a little while would spread out the demand, I admit.)

Maddle

Thanks for the reply. I know how you feel. When I'm am ready to go then I want to get going. I always get to the airport early and have never missed a plane. I know people who have missed planes. I don't run at airports... unless a connecting flight is late. Caca happens. It will not hurt for us to get there early. If I were just walking across the street, yes, but I have to drive down I-95 (I for Insane) and have on several occasions had to wait for several hours when there was a bad accident. I does happen. I'll take the turnpike, but that is not much better.

I think I will try to arrive at Park N' Go at about 10:30 and the pier a bit before 11AM.

Has anyone got any experience as to how strict Princess are with boarding by deck at Southampton? We are on Aloha deck where they are saying to arrive at 3.15 but as we are due to sail at 4 pm this also seems a 'little on the tight side'. Our transportation is due to arrive in Southampton at midday so we will probably arrive at the port before 1 pm and not really looking forward to sitting in the terminal for more than a couple of hours.

Has anyone got any experience as to how strict Princess are with boarding by deck at Southampton? We are on Aloha deck where they are saying to arrive at 3.15 but as we are due to sail at 4 pm this also seems a 'little on the tight side'. Our transportation is due to arrive in Southampton at midday so we will probably arrive at the port before 1 pm and not really looking forward to sitting in the terminal for more than a couple of hours.

Our experience is the same as above and there have been posts from other cruisers that also say this is a suggestion in Southampton as well. ;)

I don't care what they say I would never arrive 45 minutes before sailing, thats ridiculous! :mad:

So boarding in 5 days, in San Pedro, our first Princess cruise. No email directing us when to board, only the 12:30 - 3 time frame on the luggage tags and itinerary. So I guess we'll just show up and see what happens about noonish? All part of the not receiving emails problem I read about I suppose...

Boarding at Southampton sucks. We were told to show up at 12:30, so we got there at 12:25. We were handed a number card and told to go sit and wait for the number to be called, and that was just to check in.

We didn't get to board until 2:30.

My advice, go when you want, you're likely to wait anyway.

We never tire of getting there early and enjoying to process near the ship, talking to folks, seeing the ship, whatever rather than sitting in some hotel room or lobby or whatever. Since we have Preferred Boarding privileges being Elite we never have to wait that long after they officially start the process and even if we have to wait in the terminal before boarding it is still us being there.

If you arrive around 10:30 at Port Everglades, you should be OK.

They don't follow it at all. In fact, during our check in on the Island on Jan. 24, a man next to us asked what happened to the boarding by deck we were all notified of and was told by the agent "Princess does not board by decks." Because of a limited shuttle schedule we arrived 2 hours ahead of our assigned boarding time. We just got in line, checked in, and boarded.

Another reason to arrive a little early is to enjoy all those people who THINK they know how to load people better than the cruise line. It is so enjoyable listening to all the people complain why they have to stand in line for a few extra minutes. it is hot, there are not enough people to check everyone in, no one knows what they are doing, Why is that person boarding before us and why do I have to start my cruise off by being miserable.

Someone should make a film of how people are reacting to not getting on board as quick as they think they should.