On Coral now post dry dock

sunsetbeachgal

We boarded the lovely Coral around noon in the first group, (coral got pier 2 today, sorry Emerald cruisers!) and the changes I have noticed are:

-no Share restaurant. Sabatinis is still there and when I stopped by at the reservation desk to ask about Share the employee had no clue what I was talking about

-new beds. They appear to be a comfy pillow top

- new carpet in many of the public areas, horizon court, halls and stairs. Very nice colors

- ship exterior painted, very fresh looking

- ALL new equipment in exercise room and exercise bikes

-lots of brand new books in the Library

That's it for now. Muster drill shortly!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We boarded the lovely Coral around noon in the first group, (coral got pier 2 today, sorry Emerald cruisers!) and the changes I have noticed are:

-no Share restaurant. Sabatinis is still there and when I stopped by at the reservation desk to ask about Share the employee had no clue what I was talking about

- new carpet in many of the public areas, horizon court, halls and stairs. Very nice colors

Thanks for the update & anything else you have time to post. We are sailing on the next cruise and very interested in what the ship looks like.

Have a great trip.

Wow Sabatini's is still there!

Yikes, maybe they did not like the tests that they did on other ships?

That was supposed to be their big change on the Coral.

Maybe we were all in a time warp.

I was wondering the the exact same thing. Just last week, on Facebook, for what it was worth, the Princess rep said Share was making it's debut on the Coral after drydock.

I will look around to see if it might be somewhere else but Sabatinis and the Bayou steakhouse are still there !

Thanks for the updates & have a great cruise! :D

I wonder if the change was not made due to negative customer feedback about Share & waiting to see if Share on other ships will be profitable for Princess?

It's been frequently speculated about why the Coral's planned major changes like those done to the Island were canceled...was it structural reasons or passenger negative feedback?

I've also seen scheduled (including shown on deck plans) major drydock changes not accomplished for reasons such as insufficient time & difficulties with getting workers to the drydock's location.

I doubt if we'll ever learn the reasons why & we can only speculate about it. ;)

We are leaving an hour late and there are forklifts loading on a lot of things marked " fragile glass" and big rolls that look like carpet. Maybe they aren't finished yet? I will report back in a couple of days from Cozumel.

Many times after a dry dock the first cruise is impacted by unfinished work as it continues. :(

Many times after a dry dock the first cruise is impacted by unfinished work as it continues. :(

The Azamara Journey was at the same drydock in Freeport the week before Coral Princess. Reports on the Azamara board are that embarkation on the first post-drydock cruise from Miami did not start until 5:00 as they tried (unsuccessfully) to clean up the ship. Some passengers ended up downgraded as the suites that were to be renovated were not habitable. Other cabins missing items ranging from tub stoppers to toilet seats! Temporary folding chairs in one of the outdoor dining areas. Azamara issued a statement that due to poor weather many containers of supplies, and the workers to affix them, never showed up in Freeport.

Though I'm sure we will hear of some ongoing construction, thankfully other than the mystery of SHARE reports are all good from the Coral.

The Azamara Journey was at the same drydock in Freeport the week before Coral Princess. Reports on the Azamara board are that embarkation on the first post-drydock cruise from Miami did not start until 5:00 as they tried (unsuccessfully) to clean up the ship. Some passengers ended up downgraded as the suites that were to be renovated were not habitable. Other cabins missing items ranging from tub stoppers to toilet seats! Temporary folding chairs in one of the outdoor dining areas. Azamara issued a statement that due to poor weather many containers of supplies, and the workers to affix them, never showed up in Freeport.

Though I'm sure we will hear of some ongoing construction, thankfully other than the mystery of SHARE reports are all good from the Coral.

Wow, precisely the reason we don't book a cruise after dry dock. :(

Bon Voyage!

We are leaving an hour late and there are forklifts loading on a lot of things marked " fragile glass" and big rolls that look like carpet. Maybe they aren't finished yet? I will report back in a couple of days from Cozumel.

Maybe they delayed SHARE because if issues getting work done in Bahamas. To bad they didn't/couldn't plan drydock on the West Coast before it transitions to those routes.

Maybe they delayed SHARE because if issues getting work done in Bahamas. To bad they didn't/couldn't plan drydock on the West Coast before it transitions to those routes.

What issues getting work done in the Bahamas? If I recall correctly, the significant restructuring of the Grand was completed successfully and timely in those very same Bahamas. Yet renovations to the Star were unable to be completed at a West Coast venue. So, given that history, I think I'd stick with the Bahamas, all things considered.

What issues getting work done in the Bahamas? If I recall correctly, the significant restructuring of the Grand was completed successfully and timely in those very same Bahamas. Yet renovations to the Star were unable to be completed at a West Coast venue. So, given that history, I think I'd stick with the Bahamas, all things considered.

Well, since CCL is a part owner in Grand Bahamas Shipyard, it makes sense to use it. Also, US shipyards are far more expensive than GBSY, which is why many US flag ships go there, even though they have to pay 50% customs duty to the US on the entire shipyard bill. Also, none of the shipyards really do the work inside the hotel areas of the ship. This is done by teams flown in that have experience working on cruise ship interiors and experience working with the particular line (in some cases, the "tiger teams" are company employees who do just renovations), and there can be problems getting visas for these workers in the US.

Thanks for posting. We are boarding the Coral in less than a month and are glad they at least got the beds changed. The Share / Sabitini's thing doesn't bother us either way as we won't be dining there (unless they still have the suite breakfast in that venue). Have a wonderful cruise.