SHARE....one more time....

laughing husky

I was just off the Ruby and I not only went to SHARE once, and it was so delicious I went twice....and if I had time, I might go a third time....It is a beautiful upscale space, unlike Sabatini's, there was no one sitting on top of me where I could hear 2 different conversations on each side of me. The chairs were comfortable...most were sorta like Windsor chairs and they had padded seats. It is an adult space...The executive chef from Curtis Stone's was onboard cooking the meals and teaching the staff on the Stone way....Christian came over to our table and we talked for quite awhile...SHARE will be on the Ruby and the Emerald as well as on the Sun, out of Australia. That will have a slightly different venue and it sounded quite exciting to me...Now, for the food....It was excellent. If I paid to have that meal in a medium to large city, it would have cost at least $100.00. The wines that are paired with the food are also excellent...Obviously, those are extra...and not found on the regular dining room wine list. The appetizers are wonderful. The pasta is some of the best I have ever had. One was done with King Crab, the other with vegetables..The main courses are what one would find in an upscale menu....I can guarantee that you will not be served cat puke...but perhaps the butter poached lobster sauce was what someone refereed to as "Cat Puke" Totally insulting I think. I had the twice cooked duck and it was delicious...and it was a breast and leg of a duck...It came with Cannelloni bean puree. There are 6 courses, so I don't think anyone would go hungry.....There is a Charcuterie Platter that has salami, Iberico ham a chicken liver pate with a lingonberry sauce...(I think)...with fresh bread that is made in SHARE's kitchens. The appetizers are next. Shrimp Salad...has several wild caught Mexican Shrimp with a lemon sauce. Cavatelli with vegetables....sun chokes, beets, etc....the pasta is made daily in the kitchen....The Taglietelle is with roasted King Crab and Parsley...The main courses are a fish dish...Tubot with mushrooms which my friend said was wonderful. a butter poached lobster tail, with braised Begian Endive, a Wild Mushroom Ragu for the vegtarians among us....a twice cooked duck which I had....and the beef cheek pie....People....Beef cheeks are one of the best part of the cow. There are only two of them on each cow/steer, and you don't see them in the market cause the best butchers grab them for themselves.....sorta like Halibut cheeks in Alaska....The side dishes are melted leeks....wonderful....had them twice....Braised Kale, a Potato Gratin served in a cast iron pan.....Then there is the cheese course....Small and perfect.... a French cheese served with honeycomb, a Spanish cheese served with Quince paste, and Italian cheese and a California Blue cheese....Dessert....it is to die for.......The chocolate dessert is the BEST chocolate desert I have ever put in my mouth....Bar none.....Also Ricotta fritters which is an Italian desert and excellent....and a Lemon tart....Everyone who had been in the restaurant that we met on the ship raved about it....Many went back more than once. It is an ambitious undertaking to take that type of restaurant on a ship that is used to serving 3,000 mass meals at a meal....but in a smaller space, it works well. Everything is cooked to order. Nothing is done ahead of time. It is a not a steak and potato restaurant....it is not meant to be. For that, there is the Crown Grill...This is a wonderful alternative for people to perhaps go out of their food comfort to try a new concept.....And PS....No one shared either.....but I did eye someone's dinner on the way out of the door.....Truth be told, it was worth every penny of the $39.00 for me...

The Chef's table will be started the end of February or in the beginning of March....That was the word of Christian, the executive chef.. Marco, the Maitre d' was holding down the fort at SHARE, and the wait staff is the best the ship has...Hats off to Anna and Joel'....

I was just off the Ruby and I not only went to SHARE once, and it was so delicious I went twice....and if I had time, I might go a third time....It is a beautiful upscale...

Blah, Blah Blah

...Hats off to Anna and Joel'....

I went twice, so I'd have the opportunity to try my second choice. The food is good, the meal is filling, and the restaurant decor is nice.

But I just don't see myself longing to visit SHARE every time I sail, as I do with Crown Grill and Sabatini's. Both have diverse menus unlike SHARE.

I just don't see SHARE enduring for the long haul.

Thanks for the richly detailed review!

Share in on my must-do list if I set foot on the Ruby or Emerald.

Kudos to Princess for (1) Norman Love and (2) Curtis Stone. They are stepping outside the box in the culinary field and eating is a big part of the shipboard experience.

Norris

Thanks for the richly detailed review!

Share in on my must-do list if I set foot on the Ruby or Emerald.

Kudos to Princess for (1) Norman Love and (2) Curtis Stone. They are stepping outside the box in the culinary field and eating is a big part of the shipboard experience.

Norris

Now if they'd just do something to improve the wine menu !

In the last few years they have really cut down on California offerings in favor of South American to boost their markups.

Gone are well-known quality selections like Caymus, Kenwood Jack London, and La Crema.

What a shame.......let's hope that the new emphases on upscale dining will bring back some nice wines

I think this is the first totally positive revue of SHARE that I have seen to date. Many thanks for the info.

I may be mistaken but it appears its one of the few coming from someone who has actually eaten there....... Most of the grousing is coming from folks who haven't been there or mad about the salmon. I'm looking forward to trying Share too.

Edited by TNTLAMB

The food you've described sounds absolutely delicious!

I think I'll miss Share, it's slated for April for Sun Princess and I'm disembarking on the 5th. I would have given it a try otherwise, based on your review, even though my experience of Stone's food in the Golden's MDR wasn't a positive one.

Thanks so much for the review! I am really looking forward to experiencing Share. I was hoping we would get the chance when we are on the Coral in October, but they didn't change it over from Sabatini's while it was in dry dock. :(

I think this is the first totally positive revue of SHARE that I have seen to date. Many thanks for the info.

Thrak, did you miss this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2289388

We now have at least two (or more, didn't count exactly all of the participants in both reviews) enthusiasts for the Curtis Stone offering.

Edited by ar1950

I may be mistaken but it appears its one of the few coming from someone who has actually eaten there....... Most of the grousing is coming from folks who haven't been there or mad about the salmon. I'm looking forward to trying Share too.

Grousing about SHARE and grousing about the missing salmon are two different things. So far, not very many people have come back here to report on eating in SHARE, but there have been a few more who have reported on eating the MDR Curtis Stone selections. It seems to me the complaints about the MDR selections have outweighed the more favorable reports from SHARE. It's easy to see why the sample sizes here are what they are. MDR food does not cost an extra $39 per person (as SHARE does) so there will naturally be fewer SHARE guests offering their opinions. It helps to remember that the Curtis Stone arrangement has three separate parts: SHARE, the restaurant, MDR Always Available dishes, and the promised Curtis Stone Chef's table. It doesn't seem a stretch to me to think that someone who had a Stone dish in the MDR he didn't like would then object to eating in SHARE. Have any of you who enjoyed SHARE also had some of the MDR selections?

Edited by shredie