Formal Dress policy

kingart55

Hope so! The sooner the better!!!! Not that it really matter to me though since I pretty much wear what I want since the dress code is a 'suggestion' from Princess. In fact, in a few weeks when I'm on the Regal, it will be the first of 9 cruises I am not packing one single bit of formal clothing.....casual all the way, because I can. :)

Hope so! The sooner the better!!!! Not that it really matter to me though since I pretty much wear what I want since the dress code is a 'suggestion' from Princess. In fact, in a few weeks when I'm on the Regal, it will be the first of 9 cruises I am not packing one single bit of formal clothing.....casual all the way, because I can. :)

Thumbs up!

What have you been able to wear while going past the formal attire security in the mdr?

Thumbs up!

What have you been able to wear while going past the formal attire security in the mdr?

According to rilco33647's signature this is their first Princess cruise. So I hate to tell them that the dress code on Princess is not entirely a 'suggestion': on Elegant Casual nights they could be turned away if in shorts; on Formal nights, if in jeans and t-shirts.

According to rilco33647's signature this is their first Princess cruise. So I hate to tell them that the dress code on Princess is not entirely a 'suggestion': on Elegant Casual nights they could be turned away if in shorts; on Formal nights, if in jeans and t-shirts.

Shorts on casual night probably (unless you're female) Dark wash jeans, shirt, tie on formal night ...probably not, especially if wearing a jacket or waistcoat.

I hope if they do ditch formal they keep something in place like both Celebrity and HAL have with Gala and Chic nights

IMO it will come sooner if not later. The move by Celebrity to do away with formal night is a mighty nail in the coffin as Celebrity is the main competitor of Princess. It cannot come too soon.

In reality formal night is already a dead relic of the past. All men need to wear in the MDR on formal night is a pair of dockers and a button up shirt. Coats and ties are not required and have not been for quite a few years. I have been leaving my blue blazer at home for several years and will not wear a tie and have never had any problem entering the MDR on formal night.

I am on the Regal as I write this. I have seen everything from tux to dockers and polo shirt on men in the MDR. It appears that the requirement to at least wear a button up dress shirt is going away. Any shirt with a collar will do.

The nice part of all this is that those that want to wear formal wear may do so and it does not impact my enjoyment of the dinner in any way!

Of course they'll have to change. From what I can see so far on this cruise they're cutting back to save every possible dime in the DR on anything conceivable. If they thought for one minute that people would not sail on Princess because of the competition's dress code they'll chance before very long. Actually when you think of it relaxing the "official" dress code wouldn't evolve that much anyway since the current dress code isn't enforced to begin with.

Do you think there is a chance that Princess will follow the dress policy

change that Celebrity has implemented?

It was reported several weeks ago that princess did a survey of past passengers to get their opinions on changing formal night policies.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2289953&highlight=survey

No one has released any results but this indicates that Princess is certainly considering changes. BTW, Holland changed their policies too.

Well I am going to wear my pjs every night in the DR, as it is my holiday and how dare someone tell me what I can wear or not wear. I paid my money like everyone else, actually maybe to save time and money all I will pack is pjs and slippers. You do realize I can see this scenario down the road, as if they relax formal, then people will want to go even more casual. To he** with elegance and tradition, because it is all about me. I may even bring my cell phone into the DR and talk and text all through dinner as well.

Well I am going to wear my pjs every night in the DR, as it is my holiday and how dare someone tell me what I can wear or not wear. I paid my money like everyone else, actually maybe to save time and money all I will pack is pjs and slippers. You do realize I can see this scenario down the road, as if they relax formal, then people will want to go even more casual. To he** with elegance and tradition, because it is all about me. I may even bring my cell phone into the DR and talk and text all through dinner as well.

Absolutely.

Priceless!!:D:D:D

Probably easier just to use the princess robe instead of having to pack pjs. In either case have fun and knock yourself out.

Question: How much money does princess make on formal nights? I would imgaine the dollars they make on photos and specialty dining (to escape formal nights) should add up to be pretty good. That is probably the only reason Princess hasn't killed formal nights. It seems odd they would hang onto it for pure nestalgia.