Questions re: embarkation in San Francisco

ggprincess2004

We haven't sailed out of San Francisco since Princess changed to the new pier. I have a bit of a mobility problem, so I prefer that things go as smoothly as possible, and must decide on whether or not to request a wheelchair. I prefer not to, so here goes:

1. Can a taxi pull up to the luggage drop off area easily at this pier?

2. Is luggage drop off reasonably close to the entry to the check in area?

3. Is there a suite/elite boarding lounge or area to be seated while awaiting embarkation?

4. Are there escalators and elevators if it is necessary to change levels for embarkation?

Thanks so much, and any additional detail that can be supplied will be greatly appreciated.

Hi - I would definitely request a wheel chair for boarding and disembarkation. We have the same situation and it makes things go smoothly for both us as well as the other passengers. Have a great cruise, we leave in 2 weeks.

Taxis and private cars can pull right up to the front of the terminal and the porters are right there for luggage drop off. The entrance doors are right there. There are escalators (probably elevator) and the waiting area is large with lots of seating. You get a number when you check in and wait until the number is called so you can board. Very easy embarkation (and at disembarkation as well).

Yes there is a suite/elite area to wait with juice, coffee, and pastries. But there is also a separate waiting area for the mobility impaired who got to board before us.

Last October we checked in at 10:30 and were aboard the Grand at 11:45. And unlike the Star, they did not hassle you if you wanted to dine in the MDR (same deck as boarding).

I see that it may be a moot point if you're sailing from the old pier, but I'm chiming in just for general knowledge. At the new pier, I'm agreeing with others, it's a LONG walk from the doors to get on the ship. Get a wheelchair if you think you may need it.

Just a heads up - according to our TA, the Grand will be docked at Pier 35 (the old terminal) for the March 4th sailing.

Grey

The Princess site is still showing Pier 27 but I appreciate the heads up that it could change. I will keep checking. If I remember correctly there is some sort of odd ramp arrangement inside to get up to the boarding level. Hopefully there is also an elevator.....

I don't mind the distance on a flat surface, but stairs are quite a challenge some days. As long as there is a place to sit before boarding things should be ok.

There is definitely an elevator (have used it before) and I agree with others, just have them get a wheelchair for you just to be on the safe side. I know you say you would rather not, but the ramp from the pier to the ship is long, wraps around and at an angle. Sometimes people are in a hurry and you just don't want the chance of being clipped by their carry on luggage.

As far as dropping off your person and your luggage -- it is right there in front of the pier -- just walk right into security.

We've usually gone around 11 AM and by the time we've gotten through security and check in, we've been allowed to board ... but we did notice there is an area to be seated if boarding has not commenced.

Love Pier 27 -- so much easier and nicer than Pier 35 -- but you know, whatever it takes to board a cruise ship is fine by me.