Regal diverted for medical emergency

melodyina

We were on the Regal 1/31-2/7. During this cruise on an afternoon of our sea day the captain announced we would be changing course and heading full speed and would dock at Grand Turk after 9pm due to a passenger who was ill. The captain explained aprox when we would arrive, and that an ambulance would meet at the pier and the patient would then be airlifted for treatment at a Florida hospital. For the next five or so hours, we were at full speed, 22 knots. Our docking at Grand Turk was at 9:30pm or so, and we were docked for aprox an hour. I don't have any updated information with regards to the passenger, but do hope he survived. We seemed to be docked for some time with no pier activity.

What costs are incurred by the passenger with a medical scenario that involves an unscheduled stop? Are the costs a 'goodwill' of Princess when the course is diverted with an unscheduled docking at port? Would an instance such as this be absorbed with the cruise and passenger's medical insurance?

We were on the Regal 1/31-2/7. During this cruise on an afternoon of our sea day the captain announced we would be changing course and heading full speed and would dock at Grand Turk after 9pm due to a passenger who was ill. The captain explained aprox when we would arrive, and that an ambulance would meet at the pier and the patient would then be airlifted for treatment at a Florida hospital. For the next five or so hours, we were at full speed, 22 knots. Our docking at Grand Turk was at 9:30pm or so, and we were docked for aprox an hour. I don't have any updated information with regards to the passenger, but do hope he survived. We seemed to be docked for some time with no pier activity.

What costs are incurred by the passenger with a medical scenario that involves an unscheduled stop? Are the costs a 'goodwill' of Princess when the course is diverted with an unscheduled docking at port? Would an instance such as this be absorbed with the cruise and passenger's medical insurance?

The passenger is charge for the medical treatment and evacuation to Florida . Near have heard of a cruise line charging for a medical diversion.

The passenger is responsible for all direct costs. TECHNICALLY speaking, the line could charge them for the diversion but its typically written off either as a loss or against their insurance.

One exception to this is if the passenger conceals a medical condition that would have made them ineligible to travel, or if the passenger's condition is self-caused. Then, the cruise lines may sue the individual for appropriate costs. Still rare.

Travel insurance is a must especially if you are older.

I used to decline it, but the cost is so minimal, it's really worth having. It's particularly worthwhile when you think of the possibility of either an accident on the way to the port, a missed flight, or anything else that could prevent you from getting to the ship on time. Even more, when you think about how much it would cost to be evacuated by air back to the US for medical reasons. It just makes sense.

Well, the passenger is charged for all and any on board medical costs and evacuation, but I've never heard of a cruise line charging back the actual cost of the diversion like fuel, crew cost, etc. I guess it's charged off as goodwill. But can you image the bad PR that might expose the cruise line so those costs are absorbed as part of the cost of just doing business. Probably in the grand scene of cruise operations those costs are negligible and are built into the operating budgets. No different when an airliner diverts due to medical emergency. But if it diversion is due to illegal stuff the cruise line could surely sue the passengers.

I used to decline it, but the cost is so minimal, it's really worth having. It's particularly worthwhile when you think of the possibility of either an accident on the way to the port, a missed flight, or anything else that could prevent you from getting to the ship on time. Even more, when you think about how much it would cost to be evacuated by air back to the US for medical reasons. It just makes sense.

It is not always travel insurance that covers such emergencies. In many cases it is your health care plan. I know with my primary which is Medicare, it does NOT cover care outside of the United States. My secondary would then come into play and it does cover evacuation, even helicopter. The only down side is that they will take you to the nearest medical facility. My thought is that if you are so ill to require evacuation, the closest medical facility is probably best, at least until you are stabilized. There are insurances you can buy that will take you to the hospital of your choice. Many people buy this coverage per year.