Mini suite upgrade ?

STEPHEN LARKIN

Hi everyone,

I have booked a mini suite on Grand Princess, I will be very happy with this suite. However, has anyone ever been given an upgrade from a mini suite and if so what did they give you ?

If you are not in the highest category of a mini-suite, then any upgrade you may get could easily be to a higher category mini-suite which means the same type cabin in a different location on the ship.

In rare instances, people have been upgraded from a mini-suite to a full suite. Emphasis on "rare."

In August 2009 on our Alaska NB cruise on the Coral we received the following upgrade:

Mini-suite w/ balcony, starboard (AB, D527), received complimentary upgrade to VS, D703 :D

We were shocked and pleased. We did book with Princess directly.

Upgrades from a mini-suite to a full suite don't happen that often. Princess once "upgraded" me from an AD to an AC without notification. Fortunately, my TA was able to get it back for me but there's no way I'd want an AC, AB or AA if I've booked an AD.

FYI, a mini-suite is not really a suite. It's the equivalent of a "superior" balcony cabin on other cruise lines. It's bigger, the bathroom is bigger and there are two TVs but the sitting area is not a separate room; just an extension of the cabin.

We were just offered a upgrade from a mini suite to a suite on the Golden Princess, this was not a free upgrade. They offered to put us in a suite for an additional $300 ea. We decided to go for it just for the experience of being in a suite and all the perks you get. I had booked over Memorial weekend and we got a really good price on the mini so I think we are still coming out way ahead.

After we gave our TA the go ahead she called back and said we were in cabin S706 one of the Penthouse suites.

AD has a covered balcony. AA is totally uncovered.
Right. I need to avoid sun plus I like that the covered balcony is protected from wind and rain as well. And, I prefer being towards the aft of the ship than mid-ship or forward.

Right. I need to avoid sun plus I like that the covered balcony is protected from wind and rain as well. And, I prefer being towards the aft of the ship than mid-ship or forward.

They have become our favorites. Besides being covered, they are in a convenient location. Love being one deck above Promenade Deck.

I was upgraded from an AA to a penthouse suite on my 2nd Princess cruise. It was a carribean late August so the ship may not have been full or they needed the mini suite. Who knows? I am now platiumbut haven't been upgraded since.

For my Alaska cruise in Sept I have a AD with a do not upgrade. Iit will probably be cold and rainy and we want a covered balcony. If I left it as upgrade there is a decent chance of being upgraded to a Dolphin deck mini and very little chance of getting a full suite.

We were just offered a upgrade from a mini suite to a suite on the Golden Princess, this was not a free upgrade. They offered to put us in a suite for an additional $300 ea. We decided to go for it just for the experience of being in a suite and all the perks you get. I had booked over Memorial weekend and we got a really good price on the mini so I think we are still coming out way ahead.

After we gave our TA the go ahead she called back and said we were in cabin S706 one of the Penthouse suites.

We got the same kind of upgrade on our Alaska cruise on the Golden. It was a lot of fun and I'm really glad we decided to do it. The only problem is that you will always want a suite after this. After that, we booked a window suite so we could have the suite amenities again and a Vista suite for our California coastal. Just be warned, it's addictive!

i always book the last covered mini-suite on emerald deck. the one with the expanded balcony. i always mark my booking as "do not upgrade" because, like Pam in CA said, i don't want to upgraded to AA, AB, or AC since they all have uncovered balconies. i would love the opportunity to be offered an upgrade, free or otherwise, but i'm afraid it will never happen for me. but i love my ME emerald deck mini-suite.

cheers

For $600.00, I'd do the upgrade as well.....:):):)

Bob

We've never had an upgrade from a mini-suite... but we've never had an upgrade ever! :o Oh well.

I do understand other posters that mark their bookings as non-upgrade. We will be on Oceania's Riviera this November in a very sought out Penthouse Suite (not a full suite like on other lines, but does come with a butler - like an in between mini-suite and suite) on deck 7 at the aft. It has a full wrap around balcony, with half of it covered.

We got the same kind of upgrade on our Alaska cruise on the Golden. It was a lot of fun and I'm really glad we decided to do it. The only problem is that you will always want a suite after this. After that, we booked a window suite so we could have the suite amenities again and a Vista suite for our California coastal. Just be warned, it's addictive!

That's what I'm afraid of! And I'm going with my boyfriend who has never cruised before he is really going to think........this is the ONLY way to cruise!

Booked an AA mini-suite last November on the Island Princess for the round trip Panama Canal. Marked "no upgrade." Three days before we're to leave for our cruise I received an email that we've been upgraded. Called my vacation planner and she said we were upgraded to a full suite BUT they could give me my old mini-suite back. Umm No brainer here we took the full suite. Although we were really spoiled, we knew that we can't afford suites. So we enjoyed it for 10 days and will go back to our mini-suite. This was only my 4th cruise on Princess.

I agree, once you sail in a suite it is tough to go back!

Upgrades from a mini-suite to a full suite don't happen that often. Princess once "upgraded" me from an AD to an AC without notification. Fortunately, my TA was able to get it back for me but there's no way I'd want an AC, AB or AA if I've booked an AD.

FYI, a mini-suite is not really a suite. It's the equivalent of a "superior" balcony cabin on other cruise lines. It's bigger, the bathroom is bigger and there are two TVs but the sitting area is not a separate room; just an extension of the cabin.

Pam,

Have you heard anything about marking your booking "Upgrade only to a higher Metta" (I'm not even sure how to spell it)? I was told by Princess this means you will except an upgrade but only to a full higher level. I, like you, book my preferred AD and would not want to get an AC, AB, or AA.:confused:

This posting in conjunction with that entitled Recent Upsales? makes one wonder why the prices shown for suites are excessively high. Yes they are wonderful and luxurious but are they worth triple the price? The many reported free upgrades to suites tells us that they do not sell well. It would make more sense if the price were moderated to sell well before sailing. The last minute upsell example given of $699. pp tells me that no ship need sail with an empty suite if the price is right. So Princess, let's play The Price Is Right...

The many reported free upgrades to suites tells us that they do not sell well. It would make more sense if the price were moderated to sell well before sailing. The last minute upsell example given of $699. pp tells me that no ship need sail with an empty suite if the price is right...

"Many" is not the case. There have been a relatively few reported free upgrades to suites.

On many voyages the suites are sold out far in advance of the sailing.

However on one upcoming cruise I have booked, two out of ten PS suites are still unassigned and one out of eight VS suites is still available.

Pam,

Have you heard anything about marking your booking "Upgrade only to a higher Metta" (I'm not even sure how to spell it)? I was told by Princess this means you will except an upgrade but only to a full higher level. I, like you, book my preferred AD and would not want to get an AC, AB, or AA.:confused:

So far, I haven't seen any posts by someone who specifically opted for this; or, I wasn't paying attention. I don't know anything about it other than what you're said.

While it would be great, I keep in mind Toto's nightmare experience in a full suite underneath the pool area. Even if it were a suite, I'd go crazy with people pounding over my cabin day and night. I once had a balcony cabin like that and it was awful, between the power washing deck cleaning at 5am to high heels at midnight. Thank god it was only a 7-day cruise.

This posting in conjunction with that entitled Recent Upsales? makes one wonder why the prices shown for suites are excessively high. Yes they are wonderful and luxurious but are they worth triple the price? The many reported free upgrades to suites tells us that they do not sell well. It would make more sense if the price were moderated to sell well before sailing. The last minute upsell example given of $699. pp tells me that no ship need sail with an empty suite if the price is right. So Princess, let's play The Price Is Right...

We have seen time and time again upgrades to suite to first time cruisers.

We sat next to 2 different couples last week in the terminal for our Star cruise that were upgraded from an inside and an OV with no additional payments. :eek:

I can count at least 10 other over our cruises that have received the same thing. :rolleyes:

We have seen time and time again upgrades to suite to first time cruisers.

We sat next to 2 different couples last week in the terminal for our Star cruise that were upgraded from an inside and an OV with no additional payments. :eek:

I can count at least 10 other over our cruises that have received the same thing. :rolleyes:

And you can add us to that category. We have been upgraded to suites on three occasions and one from a balcony booking. That is not to say we did not appreciate the business gesture of the upgrade but upgrades should not be the purpose of the suites. They are for sale. And they should be sold at a reasonable value rate.

Archived