If we go to Tunis, what would you suggest?

VirtualRain

If our stop in Tunis goes ahead, I'm going to stick to the ship tours - they are remarkably low priced! I'm leaning towards Carthage and Sidi in the morning and the Souk on your own in the afternoon. Is one likely to be better than the other morning vs. afternoon? Thoughts?

All 3 are good. Carthage is interesting if ruins float your boat. Not too much in way of signage, so you'd have to stick with the tour guides.

Sidi Bou is absolutely charming. I'd consider buying a holiday home there.

The Souk in Tunis is very cool. Lots of alleys to explore. You'll probably get lost, but somehow always end up at the square where the coach/taxi will drop you off.

For shopping, expect to haggle overvthe prices. All is good natured. Not as nasty and agressive as in Cairo, for example.

If you speak a bit of French, it will help a lot.

Remembervto dress reasonably modest. Especially the ladies. Forvthe girls (and the narket) perhaps have a light head scarf. Just something to losely drape over hair and shoulders. It is a respectful gesture that will earn you a lot of good will from the locals.

:-)

If our stop in Tunis goes ahead, I'm going to stick to the ship tours - they are remarkably low priced! I'm leaning towards Carthage and Sidi in the morning and the Souk on your own in the afternoon. Is one likely to be better than the other morning vs. afternoon? Thoughts?

What are your other choices, and what does the Carthage tour include?

I recall you have an interest in photography, I found Sidi very touristy but pretty in that Mediterranean way; there are some good photo ops there. The Souk is not as colorful as some others I have visited but if you're attentive you can again find some interesting shots.

If your Carthage tour does not include the ruins of the Antonine Baths (situated right on the shore), then look for a tour that does. They are very scenic and it's also rewarding to explore the tree-shaded ruins above the beach for glimpses of ruins and mosaic flooring scattered here and there. Just don't "wander" too close to the Presidential (ex-Presidential?) complex next door. I can tell you from personal experience, the guards do not like it.

All 3 are good. Carthage is interesting if ruins float your boat. Not too much in way of signage, so you'd have to stick with the tour guides.

Sidi Bou is absolutely charming. I'd consider buying a holiday home there.

The Souk in Tunis is very cool. Lots of alleys to explore. You'll probably get lost, but somehow always end up at the square where the coach/taxi will drop you off.

For shopping, expect to haggle overvthe prices. All is good natured. Not as nasty and agressive as in Cairo, for example.

If you speak a bit of French, it will help a lot.

Remembervto dress reasonably modest. Especially the ladies. Forvthe girls (and the narket) perhaps have a light head scarf. Just something to losely drape over hair and shoulders. It is a respectful gesture that will earn you a lot of good will from the locals.

:-)

Thanks for the tips.

What are your other choices, and what does the Carthage tour include?

I recall you have an interest in photography, I found Sidi very touristy but pretty in that Mediterranean way; there are some good photo ops there. The Souk is not as colorful as some others I have visited but if you're attentive you can again find some interesting shots.

If your Carthage tour does not include the ruins of the Antonine Baths (situated right on the shore), then look for a tour that does. They are very scenic and it's also rewarding to explore the tree-shaded ruins above the beach for glimpses of ruins and mosaic flooring scattered here and there. Just don't "wander" too close to the Presidential (ex-Presidential?) complex next door. I can tell you from personal experience, the guards do not like it.

Hey you're absolutely right that photography is my main interest. Sidi Bou Said sounds very picturesque and the Souk sounds like a very interesting place to do some street style photography.

None of the tours mention the Antonine Baths... Here are the tours available (there are only a few)...

- Carthage, Bardo Museum, Sidi Bou Said & Medina (8hrs)

- Old City of Tunis & Bardo Museum (4hrs)

- Carthage & Sidi Bou Said (4hrs)

- Tunis's Medina & Souk (4hrs)

- The Souk on Your Own (4hrs)

Since neither of us are big on museums so the Carthage and Sidi Bou Said tour and the Souk on Your Own seem like a great choice for us with one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Amazingly they are priced at $25 and $10 respectively. :eek:

Edited by VirtualRain

Thanks for the tips.

Hey you're absolutely right that photography is my main interest. Sidi Bou Said sounds very picturesque and the Souk sounds like a very interesting place to do some street style photography.

None of the tours mention the Antonine Baths... Here are the tours available (there are only a few)...

- Carthage, Bardo Museum, Sidi Bou Said & Medina (8hrs)

- Old City of Tunis & Bardo Museum (4hrs)

- Carthage & Sidi Bou Said (4hrs)

- Tunis's Medina & Souk (4hrs)

- The Souk on Your Own (4hrs)

Since neither of us are big on museums so the Carthage and Sidi Bou Said tour and the Souk on Your Own seem like a great choice for us with one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Amazingly they are priced at $25 and $10 respectively. :eek:

Sounds like you've got the best of what's offered if you don't want to go to the Bardo. (It's the museum where all the best Roman-era mosaics from around Tunisia are displayed.)

The baths are considered part of Carthage, so if your tour description of the Carthage tour mentions anything about baths, you'll probably go there. It's not far from the Citadel and Sidi Bou Said. Then again, on a half-day tour there just may not be time.

What line are you on that is still calling at Tunis? I know many have canceled after the incident a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed Tunisia (so much so that after a couple of port stops, I went there for two weeks to see the Roman sites.....!)

Sounds like you've got the best of what's offered if you don't want to go to the Bardo. (It's the museum where all the best Roman-era mosaics from around Tunisia are displayed.)

The baths are considered part of Carthage, so if your tour description of the Carthage tour mentions anything about baths, you'll probably go there. It's not far from the Citadel and Sidi Bou Said. Then again, on a half-day tour there just may not be time.

What line are you on that is still calling at Tunis? I know many have canceled after the incident a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed Tunisia (so much so that after a couple of port stops, I went there for two weeks to see the Roman sites.....!)

We're on Princess who cancelled one port of call on June 1st and is evaluating the rest. Our scheduled stop is June 11th so I'm not sure what to expect.