Default Anyone care to comment how the riots in Africa will affect the Ocean Princess

evagoblin

I am still going to go, but was wondering if travel insurance will cover people cancelling because of political unrest (on a ship you don't have to get off, although since we're starting there, we have to go somewhere on land) so maybe people can cancel out if they won't feel safe going to the ship from the airport.

Know it's in Johannesburg but in 2008, riots spread from J to Capetown and then 2012 they had them in Capetown. Would be a pity if the situation was so bad, one only wanted to go from airport to ship and then not get off, especially since it's so far from Europe and the Americas where I think a lot of the passengers are from.

Edited by evagoblin

The riots involve violence against poor immigrants from other African countries and they have generally been in the township areas. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you are planning to go to a township. We're spending a couple of days near central Jo'burg as part of our pre-cruise visit (prefer it to the walled fortresses in the suburbs), but I'm not worried.

Would be a pity if the situation was so bad ...
It isn't. Parts of my family live in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg, and none of this has yet reached the level of being a topic of conversation.
... especially since it's so far from Europe and the Americas where I think a lot of the passengers are from.
And I'm not really sure why this is particularly relevant. If it's a bad riot, it's a bad riot however far you are (or aren't) from home.

We are on this cruise and arrived in Johannesburg yesterday at the start of a pre cruise tour. We have been into the centre of the city today and saw no evidence at all of riots. In fact we had a very pleasant afternoon in the city so we are not worried at all.