Petra, Jordan

Hobar

Can't help much, but I suspect you may have to split the duties by separately booking a transfer (about 2 hours e/w) with an Aqaba-based vehicle operator, and a guide to meet you at Petra.

When working out costs, especially comparisons with a ship's coach excursion, bear in mind that entry to Petra is expensive. I don't recall the actual figure, but well worth searching the web for it.

We booked a car for the drive for the two of us, considerably cheaper than ship's tour. But adding the admission fee it only ended up about two dollars cheaper :( - and ship's excursion included a guide & a five-course lunch whereas ours included only a muddy cup of roadside coffee :D

Four to six of you will do considerably better.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We also took the ship's tour since it's a long ride to/from the port and you may spend alot of time walking around Petra. We didn't want to worry or be rushed to get back to the ship. BTW, walking out of Petra midday & up hill on uneven rocks is alot harder than walking in the morning. Pace yourself.

We used Jordan Select Tours for 3 days when we visited Jordan. (http://www.select.jo/tour/day-tours/) They are a member of many trade organizations including ASTA and have a private day tour from Aqaba listed on their web site. We were very happy with the company.

The Petra admission fee is very expensive. It costs about $127 if you are not spending the night in Jordan and $70 if you overnight there. Here is a link to the fees: http://www.visitpetra.jo/VisitorsServices/TheFees.aspx

Enjoy your visit to an AMAZING place!

We just returned from Petra (Quantum) We did a private tour of 16 people.

Cost was $185.00 per person.

It is a hard and hot walk but well worth.

The drive was about 2 hours each way.

We used Rhamses tours.

When the ship arrived at port there were 42 big buses lined up to take

passengers on tours.

Can't help much, but I suspect you may have to split the duties by separately booking a transfer (about 2 hours e/w) with an Aqaba-based vehicle operator, and a guide to meet you at Petra.

When working out costs, especially comparisons with a ship's coach excursion, bear in mind that entry to Petra is expensive. I don't recall the actual figure, but well worth searching the web for it.

We booked a car for the drive for the two of us, considerably cheaper than ship's tour. But adding the admission fee it only ended up about two dollars cheaper :( - and ship's excursion included a guide & a five-course lunch whereas ours included only a muddy cup of roadside coffee :D

Four to six of you will do considerably better.

Thank you much. It is always easier to just sign up for ship's excursion, and only makes sense to do separate if private tour amounts to substantial savings. (In Falkland Islands, private tour was 1/2 of cruise.)

Edited by Hobar

Just booked the ships tour which is very unusual for us. However it was almost the same price as a private tour and since it is a long distance away, felt safer to do it this way. Especially in this part of the world. We are not saving any money going privately. But now we have a larger group.... [emoji16]

Just booked the ships tour which is very unusual for us. However it was almost the same price as a private tour and since it is a long distance away, felt safer to do it this way. Especially in this part of the world. We are not saving any money going privately. But now we have a larger group.... [emoji16]

IMHO there are very few occasions when a ship's tour makes sense. But for just two people, yes this is one of those occasions.

If you're on a Thomson ship it makes even more sense, because although their tours are much the same as other ships' and are operated by the same local organisations, they add a lower mark-up.

There are no traffic concerns with a private tour or taxi - there's only one road so an unlikely blockage would affect ships' tours the same as others. But it's a remote area with little traffic, possibly without even a phone signal, so a mechanical breakdown could result in a significant delay - potentially disastrous on the return run.

• 2 weeks later...
We also took the ship's tour since it's a long ride to/from the port and you may spend alot of time walking around Petra. We didn't want to worry or be rushed to get back to the ship. BTW, walking out of Petra midday & up hill on uneven rocks is alot harder than walking in the morning. Pace yourself.

Agree with this 100%, we are both reasonably fit, play 18 holes of golf a week, walk the course, no buggies and found the walk back up to the visitor centre very tiring as did many others on our trip.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have recommendations for tours for 4 (or 6 people)? We will be docked in November at Aqaba from 7 AM to 6 PM. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi from Australia,

Wondering if you have made a decision on a private tour? and if so, what company.

June next year, we are in Aqaba for one day and a group of us want to go to Petra. We are researching whether we should do ship or private tour. Sooo much to consider.

Thanks

We have decided to use the ship's excursion. 9 hours, includes everything. About $250 pp but in researching other tours, seems about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this will be helpful, but when we were there, we hired a regular taxi just outside port who took us to a driver for the 4 of us to go to Petra.(Original taxi driver said he wasn't licensed for Petra) We toured Petra on our own, while our driver waited. We had an overnite in Aqaba, so we set up the same originaltaxi driver to take us to Wadi Rum the next day. Worked out perfect for the 4 of us! Don't remember exact cost, but it was much less than ship's tour, as it was flat price divided by 4. No matter what you decide, do not miss Petra!!

Hi from Australia,

Wondering if you have made a decision on a private tour? and if so, what company.

June next year, we are in Aqaba for one day and a group of us want to go to Petra. We are researching whether we should do ship or private tour. Sooo much to consider.

Thanks

What currency is recommended for Petra if one intends to hire a cart?

They probably will take any currency. BTW, we were cautioned about the safety of them. We saw them going up/down the passway going at a pretty fast pace and they do not look like they have any springs, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Price—and especially value—depend on the guide. I have been to Jordan three times by ship and have used an excellent licensed guide every time. Radwan Farajat of Red Rock Tours gets high marks on Trip Advisor, and his price is always very fair for our small group of 4-6 people. You can see details of the many tours he offers at his website (redrock.jo).

Don’t be put off at Petra by the uphill trek back to your vehicle. Radwan hired donkeys for us, and it was a gentle, easy ride up to the top of the hill and our waiting van. I was totally impressed by the determination of these small but powerful creatures.

If you have enough hours in port, you can do both Petra and, on the way back to Aqaba, Wadi Rum. I’ve done that twice, and I recommend it highly. The sunset and/or moonrise in Wadi Rum is an exquisite experience.

If you have two days at least, you can make the trip to Jerash, Mount Nebo, Madaba and the Dead Sea. That was another an unforgettable adventure in beautiful Jordan, where the people are extraordinarily friendly and kind.

-Sukey-

• 3 weeks later...

We will have a day in port in Aqaba. (Emerald Princess, September 2016). I am researching day tours, based on Trip Advisor reviews. Hakam at Viajordan.com gave me the following rates:

- Itinerary: One-day Private tour from Aqaba to Petra;

Morning pick up from your ship at Aqaba, transfer to Petra (2 hours drive), and begin a guided tour from the main gate through the Siq, to the Treasury, Facades Street, the Nabatean Roman Theater, overlooking the Royal Tombs, Petra Church, the Roman road (Cardo) to the basin. And then back to the main gate have lunch and then back to Aqaba to your ship (2 hours Drive),

Please note that this tour is not less than 9 hours,

Rate per person in US Dollars;

Persons Per person

7 - 10 195 $

11 - 15 185 $

Interested in discovering what others may have discovered.

Hi,

Have been following this thread as we also are spending a day in Aqaba, on the Sea Princess June 2016.

We are part of a group doing Petra and sunset at Wadi Rum with Jordan Inspiration Tours. They have great reviews and are an extremely professional and friendly company with good prices and in our opinion, well worth a mention.

Enjoy :)

We will have a day in port in Aqaba. (Emerald Princess, September 2016). I am researching day tours, based on Trip Advisor reviews. Hakam at Viajordan.com gave me the following rates:

- Itinerary: One-day Private tour from Aqaba to Petra;

Morning pick up from your ship at Aqaba, transfer to Petra (2 hours drive), and begin a guided tour from the main gate through the Siq, to the Treasury, Facades Street, the Nabatean Roman Theater, overlooking the Royal Tombs, Petra Church, the Roman road (Cardo) to the basin. And then back to the main gate have lunch and then back to Aqaba to your ship (2 hours Drive),

Please note that this tour is not less than 9 hours,

Rate per person in US Dollars;

Persons Per person

7 - 10 195 $

11 - 15 185 $

Interested in discovering what others may have discovered.

I have booked a tour for our cruise and if you send an email Eventschair@aol.com Subject Petra Tour Prices

I will be glad to share the information I have.

Lorraine:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Price—and especially value—depend on the guide. I have been to Jordan three times by ship and have used an excellent licensed guide every time. Radwan Farajat of Red Rock Tours gets high marks on Trip Advisor, and his price is always very fair for our small group of 4-6 people. You can see details of the many tours he offers at his website (redrock.jo).

Don’t be put off at Petra by the uphill trek back to your vehicle. Radwan hired donkeys for us, and it was a gentle, easy ride up to the top of the hill and our waiting van. I was totally impressed by the determination of these small but powerful creatures.

If you have enough hours in port, you can do both Petra and, on the way back to Aqaba, Wadi Rum. I’ve done that twice, and I recommend it highly. The sunset and/or moonrise in Wadi Rum is an exquisite experience.

If you have two days at least, you can make the trip to Jerash, Mount Nebo, Madaba and the Dead Sea. That was another an unforgettable adventure in beautiful Jordan, where the people are extraordinarily friendly and kind.

-Sukey-

Sukey,

THank you for sharing your experiences. When you did the Petra/Wadi combined tour, die you do that with Radwan?