For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

I mailed mine (priority) on 8/12, check cashed on 8/18. I looked on website today and it said that it has no record of my application (mental freak out moment!)!

I called the agency and he said that the website was experiencing some difficulties. They have my application and it is currently being processed ~ sigh.

I know it's been less than 3 weeks but I'll just feel better with it in my hands!

• 2 months later...

Even though I had 1 1/2 years left on my passport I needed to renew it as I was down to only two open pages. Many countries require at least two open pages and validity for at least 6 months after your arrival or planned departure date.

I selected expedited processing and shipping and sent the documents via USPS overnight priority express mail. We have an upcoming cruise planned for early January and needed the new passport number for our cruise documents and also to obtain a visa for India in advance of the trip.

Passport Timeline:

Upon our return from a trip Spain on Wednesday afternoon, November 11, I scurried through the online renewal application in an effort to get the renewal mailed the same day, only to remember the November 11 was Veterans Day and the post offices were closed. I had gotten the photo a few weeks earlier before we left for Europe. For AAA members you can get your passport photos for free at most AAA offices.

I mailed my renewal on Thursday morning November 12 from the main post office in Chicago.

The envelope was received by the National Passport Center in Philadelphia the next morning as scheduled, Friday November 13.

The processing was first acknowledged on the State Department’s online system on Tuesday afternoon November 17 and I received an email acknowledging the passport processing status that same evening.

My check also cleared the bank that same day, Tuesday, November 17.

The following day, Wednesday November 18, I received an email late afternoon informing me that processing was complete, the passport had been mailed, and that I should receive the passport on or around November 21.

The following morning, Thursday November 19, I received another somewhat confusing email stating “We have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed.” It also said I should receive it on or about November 22. As I applied for both a passport card and a passport, perhaps the second email was for the card even though the email did not specify.

I received my passport by priority express mail on Friday morning, November 20, 8 days after I emailed the renewal application. USPS tracking showed it shipped from Little Rock Arkansas late afternoon on Thursday November 19.

My passport card arrived by regular first class mail on Monday November 23.

The return of my old passport arrived the following weekend on Saturday November 28, also by regular first class mail.

Happy Travels!

Just wanted to write up about my latest passport renewal experience. i sent my passport through check and send at the post office on tuesday. i received a text message on fridays saying my new passport will arrive in 2 working days.

I then received my new passport on monday at noon. Less than a week. I just have to wait for my supporting documents to return.

so pretty quick. even faster than the express services (apart from the one day service of course)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe it has been 9 years since I got my last passport, and of course it will be outdated.................nada.............no good for our August 2016 sailing.

Ok.............................

I want to wait till March of 2016 to renew for our August sailing.

Do you think this is a good idea or should we get now.

I was worried about registering and having all the correct information before final payment in May.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

I would get it done as soon as possible.

Depending on your actual expiration date, many countries require at least 6 months of future validity for entry. If you have any chance for an unexpected opportunity for international travel prior to your August cruise it would be good to have the passport in your possession and ready to go.

Economically,if you look at the cost per month of your ten year passport it's only costing a few dollars to get it done 2 -3 months early. For me, the piece of mind of having it handled well in advance is worth it.

A minor point. Passports are nominally good for 10 years. However the timing starts on the date the passport is issued and many countries will not accept US Passports that are due to expire within 6 months of arrival.

So as a practical matter we renew our passports around 9 months before expiration (depending on imminent travel plans) and consider the practical life of a Passport to really be 9 years, not 10.

A minor point. Passports are nominally good for 10 years. However the timing starts on the date the passport is issued and many countries will not accept US Passports that are due to expire within 6 months of arrival.

So as a practical matter we renew our passports around 9 months before expiration (depending on imminent travel plans) and consider the practical life of a Passport to really be 9 years, not 10.

It is for this reason that we should lobby Congress to make passports good for 11 years, and not 10!!

Theron

• 2 weeks later...

My minor daughter's first passport went VERY quickly! We applied in person on 12/29 at 5:30PM, so we know it didn't go out that day and the first was a holiday! Check was cashed on January 5. Received an email yesterday with tracking that passport will be here on Monday. Didn't even take 2 weeks even with a holiday in the middle for standard service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Wanted to share my recent passport book renewal timeline. I used Routine processing - did not pay extra for expedited service.

Thur, Feb 4, 2016: Mailed renewal form DS-82, expired book and personal check using USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope ($6.45 postage)

Sat, Feb 6: Checked tracking number status on USPS site - confirmed delivery to Passport Processing Center in Philadelphia

Wed, Feb 10: Renewal check posted to credit union account. Initial tracking info appears on US Dept of State Passport tracking website

Sun, Feb 14: Tracking website indicates processing complete and passport has been mailed with an expected delivery date on or about Feb 20.

Tue, Feb 16: Checked tracking website again. Confusing message now saying processing is in final stages with expected delivery date on or about Feb 22.

Thur, Feb 18: New passport arrives in mail!:) Website still showing processing is in final stages. Maybe this is in reference to returning my old passport?

I never received any emails with tracking status. I double checked my junk/spam folder and nothing there either.

Two weeks from start to finish is pretty fast, even including the federal holiday on Feb 15. Again, this was Routine processing; I did not pay for expedited service.

Safe and Happy Travels All!

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody! I have been having a heck of a time with our passports so I wanted to share our story for anyone out there looking for a similar situation. I was searching these boards like crazy looking for similar situations over the last few months.

On 2/19/16 my two sons and I applied for new passports at the post office in person. I asked the lady there if she needed all my marriage and divorce info to back up my name on my license vs my name on my birth record. She says no. Luckily we aren't cruising until July so, I hoped she was right....

On 2/26 we showed up in the tracking system as processing

Around 3/6 I disappeared from the system but my kids were still in there so I stalked theirs online

3/19 I got three "info needed" letters. Turns out, lady at post office was way wrong and yes, I did need those papers. I realized one of my documents wasn't a certified copy so I sent away for the copy.

Mailed all docs needed 4/5, passport agency in DC received 4/6

Today finally got emails that our passports are done and are due to be delivered by 5/9.

I have called a few times over the last months and no one told me anything useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

My husband, myself, and son (age 7) applied for passports on April 26th for the first time. We all received them in the mail on May 12. 2 weeks and 2 days. A pretty quick turnaround.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app