First time on RC-what do I need to know?

We will be sailing in October 2015 on Liberty of the Sea out of NJ. Although we have cruised many times, we've never cruised on RC. Is there anything we need to know? Are there many differences between RC and NCL, Princess and Carnival?

Thanks in advance for any information you might share.

Things that are musts:

Fill in your check in information on line and print your Set Sail Pass.

Make sure your Passport is current and has at least 6 months or more before expiration.

Check your dining time on your reservation to make sure it is correct. If you are travelling with friends make sure your reservations are linked for dining so that you are assigned to the same table. You can go to the DR entrance and find the maitre d' once you board and have lunch to change things.

Print your luggage tags from the RCCL website and put them on your luggage, preferably in a luggage tag holder. Otherwise the porters will make tags for you on the dock.

Show up at the pier at around 11 to avoid the longer check in lines. After check in you will be given a boarding group # and you just hang until they call your number. People in suites and Platinum and up in Crown and Anchor Society get priority boarding.

Cabins are not available until after 1 PM so go to the Windjammer Buffet and have lunch.

After lunch go to the dining room and find your table if you are at the traditional seatings. Make sure to ask for a change if you don't find the table to your liking. See the maite d' or headwaiter at the DR entrance to do this too. If you want to do the specialty restaurants stop in after lunch, because they are just outside the WJ, and make reservations.

Show up for the lifeboat and safety drill!

The daily activity guide is called the Cruise Compass. There will be one in the cabin for embarkation day and every night your cabin attendant will put the next days in your cabin.It has all the times for everything.

Have fun!

Royal is so much like Carnival.

But a step down from Princess.

LOVED Princess. can afford Carnival except when Royal has a nice sale.

But cruise procedures are about the same for all cruise lines.

register for your meet and mingle party too

Edited by serene56

Go to one of the cafes for lunch, i am pretty sure they will be open also, i dont recommend in Windjammer, too many people, but i digress. Walk the ship. From Bow to stern, every deck. This will help you later to find things. Find all bathrooms.

So, they let you bring wine on board but not water (that's what I was told)? Seems strange to me.

That's not true. When I sailed last month on Adventure out of San Juan, people were carrying unopened cases of water onboard. I think there's a bit of controversy swirling around the water policy. Not certain why, though.

That's not true. When I sailed last month on Adventure out of San Juan, people were carrying unopened cases of water onboard. I think there's a bit of controversy swirling around the water policy. Not certain why, though.

I think it's because technically it's not allowed. Yet it seems that people successfully do it all the time.

Unlike bringing alcohol, which is a no-no that they enforce (other than the wine)

Royal is so much like Carnival.

But a step down from Princess.

LOVED Princess. can afford Carnival except when Royal has a nice sale.

But cruise procedures are about the same for all cruise lines.

register for your meet and mingle party too

We are long time Princess cruisers and we are going on RCI for the first time in December. We chose Royal because we wanted to try something different, not because of any dissatisfaction with Princess. Why is Royal a step down from Princess?

Paul

On Princess, they tried to charge me for sea sickness pills, but on Royal Caribbean you can get them for free at Guest Relations.

Both times I came down w/ norovirus on Royal Caribbean, infirmary services were free. I hear they charge you on Princess.

We just did a Celebrity/Princess B2B, and here are some differences.

Princess

1. More flexibility while ordering with the MDR. For example, I ordered an appetizer sized entree and asked for it to be delivered w/ the appetizers. Also, will honor half orders.

2. Coffee Card and International Cafe.

3. Poorer Maintenance. Both washers across the hall were broken the entire cruise. But at least Princess HAS laundremats!

4. Elevator(s) broken for 1/2 the cruise.

5. Fewer toiletries at the Mini-suite level. Just a bottle of lotion, one bar of soap, and the dispensers of mystery body wash & shampoo in the shower.

6. Better photography seminars.

7. Love the daily knitter's group.

6. Suite gratuity rates in Mini-Suite, but no double loyalty points in that category.

Royal Caribbean

1. Better maintenance. They usually have their stuff out of order for hours, not days.

2. Royal King Beds.

3. Less flexibility in MDR. Don't even try to the 1/2 order.

4. More toiletries in Junior suite (JS). Coffee pot and tea kettle in JS. Non-suite gratuity rates, but double loyalty points for JS.

5. Much more organized with the Meet and Greet.

We usually go to Windjammer for breakfast as we prefer to self-help and get faster service. Of course, you can also go to the various sit-down restaurants and get served breakfast, but we find that it takes a tad too long.

[YOUTUBE]uBAE5twNaKA[/YOUTUBE]

We are long time Princess cruisers and we are going on RCI for the first time in December. We chose Royal because we wanted to try something different, not because of any dissatisfaction with Princess. Why is Royal a step down from Princess?

Paul

I'm in the same situation. Debating between a 5 day on Emerald Princess or Independence of the Seas in Feb. Any others willing to chime in on differences would be appreciated.

On Princess, they tried to charge me for sea sickness pills, but on Royal Caribbean you can get them for free at Guest Relations.

Both times I came down w/ norovirus on Royal Caribbean, infirmary services were free. I hear they charge you on Princess.

We just did a Celebrity/Princess B2B, and here are some differences.

Princess

1. More flexibility while ordering with the MDR. For example, I ordered an appetizer sized entree and asked for it to be delivered w/ the appetizers. Also, will honor half orders.

2. Coffee Card and International Cafe.

3. Poorer Maintenance. Both washers across the hall were broken the entire cruise. But at least Princess HAS laundremats!

4. Elevator(s) broken for 1/2 the cruise.

5. Fewer toiletries at the Mini-suite level. Just a bottle of lotion, one bar of soap, and the dispensers of mystery body wash & shampoo in the shower.

6. Better photography seminars.

7. Love the daily knitter's group.

6. Suite gratuity rates in Mini-Suite, but no double loyalty points in that category.

Royal Caribbean

1. Better maintenance. They usually have their stuff out of order for hours, not days.

2. Royal King Beds.

3. Less flexibility in MDR. Don't even try to the 1/2 order.

4. More toiletries in Junior suite (JS). Coffee pot and tea kettle in JS. Non-suite gratuity rates, but double loyalty points for JS.

5. Much more organized with the Meet and Greet.

I really do appreciate your taking the time to answer this. I have never experienced lack of maintenance on a Princess cruise (but sometimes things break and you're in the middle of the ocean). The points you bring up may make a difference for some, but they don't matter much for me personally. Thanks again.

Very helpful suggestions. If you book with a TA, he/she may do luggage tags for you. At least ours did for a previous cruise, not on Royal. We are boarding Navigator in April for our first RC cruise, so these tips are great. Keep them coming!