Rome airport delays due to fire in May

emerald444

I don't want to freak anyone out but we are sailing on Allure july second

We scheduled our departure yesterday June 29

We planned to stay in Rome for two days the get on board

We are flying from Vancouver to Rome on british airways

We were told yesterday our flight and two others were cancelled due to damage at Rome airport

We are now leaving on the only last minute flight we could find and because of the late departure we will be embarking the ship in Naples

We also were told by rccl that we aren't the only ones affected

So if you are flying to Rome in the near future please check your flights

I just had to say something about this thank you for letting me rant

It must be frustrating that the fire was in May but your flight was cxld a month later. Sorry for your flight issues.

I had a bad airline experience in March. Customer service was so bad that it made the situation worse. The airline doesn't even care they lost a customer.

Don't let it ruin your trip. Have a good cruise!

I don't want to freak anyone out but we are sailing on Allure july second

We scheduled our departure yesterday June 29

We planned to stay in Rome for two days the get on board

We are flying from Vancouver to Rome on british airways

We were told yesterday our flight and two others were cancelled due to damage at Rome airport

We are now leaving on the only last minute flight we could find and because of the late departure we will be embarking the ship in Naples

We also were told by rccl that we aren't the only ones affected

So if you are flying to Rome in the near future please check your flights

I just had to say something about this thank you for letting me rant

Same happened to us on June 13th cruise with Princess - BA flight to Rome cancelled on June 11th. Flew to Naples and then taxi to Civi for cruise - 3 hours and 435 Euro !!

Edited by bee-ess

Our Air Canada fight to Rome had no problems in Late May, after the fire. We flew from Toronto. This sounds more lke a BA situation, perhaps using the fire as an excuse. AC had to relocated their checkin to another terminal but is still getting the job done.

Here is a link to AC news to terminal relocation. Their checkin was exactly where the fire was.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/150520.html

EDIT: BA mght be telling the truth, but I don't put anything past an airline.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Thanks for the update.

We connected through Rome in early June. (Istanbul to Rome to Atlanta Ga). Because of the fire we had to be shuttled to a terminal. And because our flight was a bit late into Rome, we had to Run, and I mean Run , through the airport to catch the plane to the States.

It is strange to me, that a month after the fire, flights would be cancelled.

Sorry for the inconvenience but thanks for the heads up

M

It must be frustrating that the fire was in May but your flight was cxld a month later. Sorry for your flight issues.

I had a bad airline experience in March. Customer service was so bad that it made the situation worse. The airline doesn't even care they lost a customer.

Don't let it ruin your trip. Have a good cruise!

Thanks for the encoding words! We will be trying to leave today fingers crossed

Same happened to us on June 13th cruise with Princess - BA flight to Rome cancelled on June 11th. Flew to Naples and then taxi to Civi for cruise - 3 hours and 435 Euro !!

We are missing the first day of the cruise dips you?

How was your cruise once the madness stopped?

After the fire, many of the workers complained of toxic fumes in the terminal (remnants of the fire and from the reconstruction). So the authorities required airlines to cut even more flights than they already had. It's a day to day thing so many of the airlines aren't aware until very close to the flight date how many flights they will have to cut.

Also, it's mostly European airlines affected vs. the North American ones due to the terminals the airlines use.

Still definitely best to plan for issues flying in and out of FCO for sometime to come.

After the fire, many of the workers complained of toxic fumes in the terminal (remnants of the fire and from the reconstruction). So the authorities required airlines to cut even more flights than they already had. It's a day to day thing so many of the airlines aren't aware until very close to the flight date how many flights they will have to cut.

Also, it's mostly European airlines affected vs. the North American ones due to the terminals the airlines use.

Still definitely best to plan for issues flying in and out of FCO for sometime to come.

YES this is exactly the problem.!

We are planning to go in July. We are planning to fly the night before our ship disembarks. Hopefully that isn't too risky. As soon as we land at 9AM, we are headed directly to the port as soon as we land. Ugh, kinda nevous.

We planned to fly in four days earlier example planned on leaving here on 29 of June ship left on July 2

Still sitting at home in Vancouver and just got a message from british airlines that we have been delayed again !!!!!

Couldn't you get a train from Naples to Civi. Quicker and a fraction of the price.

FCO have asked all European Airlines to reduce their flights by up to 40%.

This is the reason that passengers have found their B.A. flights cancelled or re-routed to Naples.

Long Haul Flights are said NOT to be affected.

It is an unfortunate situation for everyone including the Airlines who have no choice but to cancel flights

Edited by lydnsyd

Oh my!! This is very distressing as we head full bore into the European cruising season. All the more reason to allow lots of extra time before embarking--to say nothing of time to enjoy the wonders of Rome.

In my wildest dreams, I couldn't possibly imagine arriving the day of the cruise. . .