Livorno... Is there a bus and where does it go?

les37b

My Barcelona to Athens trip on the Wind is coming up rather fast now.

Been trying to work out what excursions to do at each port but Livorno is more tricky based on comments I've seen within regarding port shuttles charging 12 Euros PP just to get you to the front gates of the port, then a 25 Euro each way taxi fare to then go the mile and a bit to the train station.

With that in mind, it bumps up the price of a DIY Florence train journey.

I know the Wind will be docking near to the entrance and not the industrial part, but asking Silversea drew a blank. At first they said "we provide a bus into town! but unable to say where it goes to (Obviously the train station would be desirable!) Then someone else said "the port is in the town, you just walk from the ship."

I'm not quite sure why Silversea didnt know what they provide (Livorno is hardly a unknown for the Italian Cruise line!)

So can anyone shed any light please? Do Silversea provide a courtesy bus and where does it do to if they do?

Thanks

Within the port there is a shuttle to take you to the port entrance.

Livorno is a very large port so where the ship will dock varies by each cruise.

There are some taxis available if you want to get to the train station.

None of the cruise lines provide a bus into town. You can walk into town though.

Keith

Within the port there is a shuttle to take you to the port entrance.

Livorno is a very large port so where the ship will dock varies by each cruise.

There are some taxis available if you want to get to the train station.

None of the cruise lines provide a bus into town. You can walk into town though.

Keith

Keith, I did mention its the Silver Wind im on, so know it docks near the entrance. (pier 62 I think it is). Some cruiselines do provide buses (at a charge) into town. Other threads verify this and whilst I agree that from what the other response said from 5 years ago, they got nothing, I was hoping someone who has specifically docked on SS recently might reply.

Previous replies have told me I must pay 12 Euros to leave the port on a bus, it now also seems clear for me on Silver Wind that wont be the case.

So it would appear my options are:

Taxi @50 Euros return to the station.

Walk to the square then catch a local bus to the station

Walk to square and catch coach tour.

Pay over the odds and travel on a SS tour - which is the least likely.

Tours are the drawback on smaller ships..... The option to book an 8 seater shared trip is nigh non existent.

les, since you know where you are docking, just post on the Italy Ports of call board to see what the recommended transportation is to the train station. I am sure you will get an easy answer.

Often I read people just saying they take a taxi to the train station.

Keith

Les - I agree entirely with Brimary as to the varying Dock position - we have been on The Wind many times to Livorno and have docked in many places - You must have a special knack if you have managed to prise a specific Dock Number out of Silversea, as they seldom know themselves until they are allocated a Dock by the Livorno Port Authorities - if its a changeover day they may have been provided with a ' Best Guess '.

The Shuttle will deliver you close to Town but I believe the Station is somewhat further away, but have never been there myself.

Mayflower1, that has been our experience on other lines and my understanding is that the position is not finalized until almost the day of arrival.

In most cases we have had to take the port shuttle to the main gate.

The station is further away and most people I know take a taxi to the station.

Keith

Les - I agree entirely with Brimary as to the varying Dock position - we have been on The Wind many times to Livorno and have docked in many places - You must have a special knack if you have managed to prise a specific Dock Number out of Silversea, as they seldom know themselves until they are allocated a Dock by the Livorno Port Authorities - if its a changeover day they may have been provided with a ' Best Guess '.

The Shuttle will deliver you close to Town but I believe the Station is somewhat further away, but have never been there myself.

I don't have a special knack, but I did find a link which showed the actual dock number. I'm not saying that isn't subject to change, but it was pretty specific - as it was with the number it showed for the Vista when it arrives in August. Brimary specifically said there was no transport, so your reply is in conflict to hers.

I am currently looking for the URL for info and will post shortly once I refind it.

Edited by les37b

Les - I feel that you have done all you can to satisfy yourself regarding the Berth and no information from other CC members will be of much help.

The Shuttle Bus can be confirmed by the Shore Concierge once you get on board. Have a good trip.

On our June 2015 cruise on the Wind, the shipped docked very close to one of the entrances to the dock at Livorno. It was maybe a 2-3 min. walk to where the taxis were waiting. Our fare to the train station was around 15 Euros for 4 people, we confirmed the fare before we got in the taxi. It took about 15 min to get to the train station. It is very easy to take the train into Florence. Remember to validate your train tickets at the machines that are on the platforms before you get on the train. Have a great trip

Hi! If you are docking at Livorno's berth 64, as only the smaller cruise ships can, everyone is right in saying you can walk into the city centre (5-10mins) from there and then catch a local bus to the train station. There are usually taxis on the quay and if you share with other passengers it should work out fairly reasonably to get to the station. It would also save you time.

Just to clarify about shuttle buses, these are operated by Livorno Port for ships docked in the further away industrial docks and cost 5 euros round trip to the city centre. Some ships offer a direct bus to the train station.

Regarding shared minivans, this site offers to help passengers to find van-sharing companions: http://livornonow.com/share_a_minivan_from_livorno

:)

We have walked to and from the train station several times dragging a carry on case for an overnight in Florence. It's about a 35 minute walk for us. We felt quite safe on the walk. There are taxis, and I believe the last time we were in Livorno there was a shuttle bus to somewhere in the center of the city.

Yes, Bob, there was a ship's shuttle, (free) into the center of the city, when we were last in Livorno. We were berthed pretty far from the port' s entrance...no big deal when you are riding!

Considering how much $$ the cruise itself will cost, I would feed the canary another seed and take a taxi to the train station. Sometimes it's best to trade a little extra money for time to experience your surroundings.

For those who have been to both Florence and Pisa several times, and are feeling a bit lazy, the city of Livorno is a nice change of pace. Not thrilling, but we enjoyed walking around. The day we were there, there was a Craft Fair..maybe that's why we had a fun time.

On our June 2015 cruise on the Wind, the shipped docked very close to one of the entrances to the dock at Livorno. It was maybe a 2-3 min. walk to where the taxis were waiting. Our fare to the train station was around 15 Euros for 4 people, we confirmed the fare before we got in the taxi. It took about 15 min to get to the train station. It is very easy to take the train into Florence. Remember to validate your train tickets at the machines that are on the platforms before you get on the train. Have a great trip

Many thanks for that Uncletanus. I have looked on google maps and can see where the Wind is scheduled to berth, its a stones throw from the exit. And unless there is a change of plan on its berth, then it should be easy enough. 15 Euros if we can get that would be fine. I expect what drivers are prepared to take is dependant on the ship and volume of people. I expect this trip will have about 260 passengers (out of the 296 max - which includes using up the 3 per cabin capacity.... And I know there are at least 8 spare suites currently) I suspect having more to chose from the taxi drivers became more adventurous with their expectations and fares! That said, we are not the only ship arriving on that day!

Yes, Bob, there was a ship's shuttle, (free) into the center of the city, when we were last in Livorno. We were berthed pretty far from the port' s entrance...no big deal when you are riding!

Considering how much $$ the cruise itself will cost, I would feed the canary another seed and take a taxi to the train station. Sometimes it's best to trade a little extra money for time to experience your surroundings.

For those who have been to both Florence and Pisa several times, and are feeling a bit lazy, the city of Livorno is a nice change of pace. Not thrilling, but we enjoyed walking around. The day we were there, there was a Craft Fair..maybe that's why we had a fun time.

Yes I tend to agree with your sentiments. Incidently, were you say you were a fair distance fro the exit, were you on a larger ship?

Hi! If you are docking at Livorno's berth 64, as only the smaller cruise ships can, everyone is right in saying you can walk into the city centre (5-10mins) from there and then catch a local bus to the train station. There are usually taxis on the quay and if you share with other passengers it should work out fairly reasonably to get to the station. It would also save you time.

Just to clarify about shuttle buses, these are operated by Livorno Port for ships docked in the further away industrial docks and cost 5 euros round trip to the city centre. Some ships offer a direct bus to the train station.

Regarding shared minivans, this site offers to help passengers to find van-sharing companions: http://livornonow.com/share_a_minivan_from_livorno

:)

Many thanks for that. I'm more than happy to DIY, though from what I read, you also need to buy your bus ticket from a tobacconist, which complicates things a little.

I had also seen mention of the 5 Euro shuttle, though that's to get through the industrial part.... we will be berthed near the exit if things go to plan.

Thanks for the vanshare link. It is definitely something I would do, but they want passengers to be from the same ship, so unlikely to manage. (I'm the only passenger on this cruise on this sites roll call! lol)

We have walked to and from the train station several times dragging a carry on case for an overnight in Florence. It's about a 35 minute walk for us. We felt quite safe on the walk. There are taxis, and I believe the last time we were in Livorno there was a shuttle bus to somewhere in the center of the city.

Many thanks.

I suspect we may well walk if we arrive back to the station early enough. (Use up some of those excess calories!) Looking at the route, it is a straight line. Looks to be just about 2 miles, so 35 mins sounds about right.

• 1 month later...
Les - I feel that you have done all you can to satisfy yourself regarding the Berth and no information from other CC members will be of much help.

The Shuttle Bus can be confirmed by the Shore Concierge once you get on board. Have a good trip.

We docked exactly as the Livorno Port authority website stated. 2 minutes from the dock exit. Not sure why you thought they wouldn't know or published incorrect data, but no worries. For the record other CC members did provide very useful info regarding getting to the train station, which I put to use this morning and currently sitting on the train on my way to Florence.

Our last visit to Livorno 5 years ago,no shuttle bus,short walk into town .No problem.

A shuttle bus does operate throughout the day half hourly. Things must have changed. The bus is complementary, though we walked to the square (about an 8 minute walk) and bought our €1.20 bus tickets to the station. Once you reach the square, you will see the tobacconist shop to buy your tickets. They charge an extra €0.50 buying on the bus and saves the hassle of explaining what you want (unless of course you speak Italian!) Train fare is currently €19.20 return.

It's turned out far simpler than it all sounded, for which much is down to the berth that Silver Wind docked at.