New to Silversea with questions

CLOU

I am an experienced cruiser, with over 20 cruises in the past, most of which were on Regent earlier and then Seabourn. We are giving Silversea a try. We are on a 7 day Mediterranean cruise in July on the Cloud. We wanted to do a short cruise for our first Silversea cruise to see how we like it and how it compares to Seabourn, and this was sort of spur of the moment. I know the Cloud is one of the older ships, so I will take that into account in my comparison. While I am a little worried about recent reviews, I am also excited to try a new line and am keeping an open mind.

I have a few questions. I saw on the website that the Cloud has free streaming movies on the personal devices. Does that mean there are no movies available through the tv? Not that I go on cruises to watch movies, but sometime a little down time with a glass of wine is nice. Also, I saw that each passenger gets an hour of internet free per day. This is great for keeping in touch. How is that free time affected by streaming movies, if at all?

Next, does Silversea provide tote bags? If not, I am afraid I will have to be a shill for another line by bringing along my Seabourn tote bag.

Lastly, at least for now, since the Cloud is a small ship. is there any problem getting a table for two in any of the restaurants?

Any answers or additional information or input would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know much about streaming movies,but the Cloud has been our favourite SS ship over the last 20 years. The staff have always been excellent,food mainly very good in all outlets although it can depend on who is head chef.We always have table for two ,the service is so much better.Invitation nights tables can be anything from 6 to 14, but it's up to you whether you go or not.Making your own table up for 6/8 with friends you know can be fun and enjoyable.Dont know re Tote bags what are they?

I have never been on the Cloud but have sailed the Wind and Spirit twice. Never received at tote bag so bring you own! There was never a problem getting a table at the Restaurant but you may want to make online advance reservations at the specialty restaurants.

Was just off the Cloud 60 days ago and the streaming movie system has not been installed on the Cloud yet. It will be fitted with it at the next dry-dock. If you have been on Seabourn then it's going to be very similar, except, decor will be more traditional. And yes you will have to bring your tote bag, they may give you one from the ships store when you arrive when they see you with their competitors bags...

Movies are on CD's you can borrow from their library. They will only be streaming two our three movies each day on TV. And finally, if you prefer to dine as a party of two, that's not going to be a problem at all...

Edited by carefreecruise

No, SS don't issue a tote bag. We have a durable Seabourn one which we use, without embarrassment, on SS and we have yet to be shot or keel-hauled so I'm thinking nobody minds. We tend to find a backpack more convenient, though.

There's really very little difference between the 2 lines although from the sometimes heated exchanges from the cheerleaders from each side you'd think they were vastly different. In the end it comes down to little things that are individual to each cruiser so that, at best, the points of contention seem to be subjective rather than objective.

If you like Seabourn, are open-minded and don't feel the need to compare and contrast to the nth degree I think you will have a fabulous time.

Edited by Tothesunset

We where on the Spirit a few weeks ago. We had to Skype my office and it worked fine . If you are going to stream movies you should have a dvd player in the room I would burn and take what you like or from a laptop you can use a HDMI cable just ask them and they will make it so it works IF the TVs have HDMI input . I can not remember as we where on the Whisper a few years back

I am a frequent SS floater. I also have tote bags from other lines. No one objects to my WindStar bag. While on SB, a staff member asked The Hub to turn the SS logo on his tote, as it was offensive. [emoji79][emoji4][emoji568]. Get a life!

I am a frequent SS floater. I also have tote bags from other lines. No one objects to my WindStar bag. While on SB, a staff member asked The Hub to turn the SS logo on his tote, as it was offensive. [emoji79][emoji4][emoji568]. Get a life!

Another reason I prefer SS.

Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to bring my Seabourn tote bag.

It was interesting to hear there are no streamed movies. I could not find any info on the Silversea website, but when I googled Silversea and movies I found a 2013 press release that stated that on the Cloud you could now watch streamed movies on your personal devices. I guess that did not work out.

These are minor details. I continue to look forward to my July cruise.

if you prefer to dine as a party of two, that's not going to be a problem at all...

From doing 26 days early last year on two cruises on the Silver Cloud, plus ten days earlier this year on the same SS ship for South Africa, I agree with above that getting tables for two is fairly easy and well managed by the staff.

Others have offered other very good reactions and comments. My key suggestion? Don't be shy!! If you have a question, interest, idea, dream, wish, etc., ASK!! On a smaller ship like the Cloud, we have found that the Cruise Director, Hotel Director, Dining Room Manager, etc., are BOTH around, visible and happy to assist in working to make "things happen", if reasonably possible. For more on the food, etc., from the Silver Cloud, check out below my live/blog. Keep asking good questions. We did our first cruise in 2006 with Seabourn and agree that both lines have good staff who like to be helpful and enjoy getting special requests, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 38,380 views for these postings.

Thanks for the link to your blog, Terry. It is making me even more anxious to go. Of my prior cruises on Seabourn, one was on one of the little sisters, and several of my Regent (formerly Radisson) cruises were on the Diamond, so I have experienced and enjoyed the very small ship atmosphere. As the cruise gets closer, I am sure I will have more questions and appreciate all the information people on the boards provide. In fact, I have another question already. We are in a veranda suite and the Silversea website says some suites have separate shower and bath and some are combined. Other than asking my travel agent to find out, is there any other way to tell what type of facilities will be in my booked suite?

CLOU, I have always found that if I email the company using the contact details on the SS website thsat I have received a reply to any questions that I had. Our first cruise, and first cruise with SS, was 3 years ago and I must have sent half a dozen emails before the cruise (I hadn't discovered Cruise Critic then) and each was answered with the info I needed. It's worth a try.

Edited by Tothesunset

Thanks for the link to your blog, Terry. It is making me even more anxious to go. As the cruise gets closer, I am sure I will have more questions and appreciate all the information people on the boards provide. In fact, I have another question already. We are in a veranda suite and the Silversea website says some suites have separate shower and bath and some are combined. Other than asking my travel agent to find out, is there any other way to tell what type of facilities will be in my booked suite?

Glad to know that your excitement is building for this upcoming Med "adventure"!! Yes, we are happy to answer any added, future questions. Regarding your bath/shower question, my understanding after a re-do a few years back, that most of the regular veranda suites on the Cloud have either . . . a tub with a shower as a combination . . . OR . . . a roomier shower that does not require the big "climb over". What suite number do you have on the Silver Cloud? Either your TA can check or we can easily check it and let you know what you have.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 197,227 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Below is one of my visuals that shows how this shower looks in a veranda suite on the Silver Cloud. I did not have my wide angle lens on my camera so at the left side (and with the door there), you do not get the full view and width shown. This however, gives a pretty good idea for why we liked not having to climb over the side of a bath tub with this type of set-up in these Silver Cloud bathrooms.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,810 views for this posting.

Here's an example of a shower set-up in a bathroom for a veranda suite on the Silver Cloud from last year's sailing.:

April2016Pis1_zpsidtivqbr.jpg

Terry, I am in cabin 614. How does one check about the shower? I know, of course, I can ask my travel agent, but I am just curious because you said you could check. Perhaps it is because you are in the industry, although I don't think I am supposed to say that on these boards.

Terry, I am in cabin 614. How does one check about the shower? I know, of course, I can ask my travel agent, but I am just curious because you said you could check. Perhaps it is because you are in the industry, although I don't think I am supposed to say that on these boards.

Sorry to disappoint, but I must plead "guilty" for NOT being in the industry. No connection on my end for being or having been a travel agent, working for a cruise line, owning a cruise liner, etc. Hope my "image" is not ruined!!

In checking the Silver Cloud chart/deck plan, your 614 is one of the many newer bathroom set-ups, like I had pictured, that just has the shower. No tub or high edge to climb over. Is that good for you?

Other questions, info needs on the Silver Cloud, with Silversea?? In my book, there are no questions that you should fear asking on these boards. Just don't go too far off on politics, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,810 views for this posting.