Whisper WC.6. Singapore to Dubai

duct tape

Still full! 103 boarded, 100 debarked. Wonderful stay in Singapore, great food! Sailed yesterday via the Straits to Port Klang, gateway to KL. Andrew Robley has returned to entertain us! Always a pleasure to see and hear him sing. Pouring rain today, very hot and humid. The shuttle bus into KL takes about 45 min. each way. I pass.

If Andrew was so good - then why did at least 20 people walk out during his first performance.

Shouting into mic makes me want ear plugs. Sorry but not for me.

PS is classical the only type of music?

Silver traveller on from Hong Kong to Dubai

So I guess you will not attend his show this evening. English Music Hall stuff does not have many fans outside of the UK, I think. Sorry you missed the CC M&M. There are a few of us onboard.

I thought he was rather corny in a Danny La Rue sort of style, but not really my cup of tea.

Nice but rather short stop in Phuket today.

MTN servers dead this morning, but grateful they are now back online, however still no Daily Mail on the Press-Reader yet.

Captains welcome tonight.

Andrew Robley was in full voice last night to a SRO audience! Fun. In Penang, Malaysia, today. You can see and smell the air...hmmmmm.

Susan will you please say hello to Andrew from me -- Mary Ann.

We go back a long way together -- I'm glad he's back on Silversea.

Welcome to Myanmar. Sailed up the muddy Irrawaddy last night and docked in the early hours. We sailed through two enormous lines of fishing vessels, strung out for miles, lit up, and Capt Corsaro must have had kittens, they were almost close enough to touch.

Now the real adventure begins.

Silver Spectre

Many thanks for your evocative report on nearing Yangon - I could almost remember the heat we too experienced on the Wind last March - were you able to dock in "town" or were you in Thilawa? I can sympathise with Angelo Corsaro, sailing into Yangon is a nightmare.

I quote from my post last March from the Wind "....We were therefore so fortunate to be on the Wind, as ships bigger than 547 feet have to dock at Thilawa, some 25 kilometres south of Yangon, and at least an hour away from the centre of Yangon by road. Very fortunate for us the passengers, but quite a nightmare for the Staff to navigate to this berth, with a tidal range of around 20 feet and the necessity to cross both the Inner and Outer Bar at near high tide to ensure sufficient depths, as well as contending with the velocity of the current, it was no easy sail, particularly as the pilot had boarded at around 2.00 am!"

So full marks to all Captains who enter this port.

BTW MJN, they not only had the "gourmet burgers" in the Pool Grill for lunch, but also in the MDR on the Shadow - it was a shame that the "meet and mingle" for our Shadow 3605 cruise didn't materialise, otherwise we would have finally met.

So nice to hear from you all on your next leg of the WC and your impressions long may it continue.

Many thanks

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thanks Master, we are docked at Thilawa, so a good hour to hour and a half from downtown. The traffic is very heavy, especially across the old bridge. Apologies about the river naming error, we may actually be on the Bago.

When I spoke to Corsaro he related that the real problem with docking was the thick fog, couldn't see the dock, a 4 mph current and another ship that needed more leeway. He said it was scary enough to add a couple of new grey hairs.

Off to Yangon for some final 'pagoda-ing' this morning and then leaving for Columbo at 5.

Here are some new pictures in case there is interest.

From Penang - a shot of a parasol shop at Chew Jetty -

DSC02926_zpstyiwvic5.jpg

No picture from Phuket. Hot as blazes and we simply wandered the market set up steps from the ship.

From Bagan - Damayangyi Temple -

DSC03140_zpskzppkjcy.jpg

Shwezigon Pagoda -

DSC03212_zpsxjify4yf.jpg

Bagan was very interesting. Unfortunately the planned hot air balloon ride did not happen due to an issue with the wind.

Another really hot day here, enlivened by a short shower in early afternoon, the humidity is high.

Back to Yangon today for a final look, took 2 hours from the ship to the centre, and that was with a couple of short cuts, this part of the country is blighted by its appalling traffic.

Saw the mausoleum of the last mogul emporer and the Sula padoga before retiring to the peace and quiet of the Strand for a beer.

The people are lovely and the country deserves to get better with the new government, but we have never seen so much rubbish, plastic bags, bottles and who knows what. The betel spitting is nasty and unhygienic, but we have loved every minute.

It was a treat for me today to finally go into the city. Spectacular parks, Royal Barge and Reclining Buddha and, of course, the Schwegon Pagoda, really a temple complex. The stupa was built to house some hair from Buddha! The Anatomy Tour continues as we head for Kandy, Sri Lanka, and the Temple of the Tooth!

Hi Ho Silver, yes, the trash, debris and poverty will be a thing of the past, soon I hope. Wait until we get to India!

Edited by duct tape

Sir reminded me after my last post, that during our nocturnal sail up the river towards Yangon, on the Wind last March, we hit an unmanned barge riding at anchor, which did not please the bridge team, nor passengers concerned about the metallic thump in the middle of the night.

During our stay in Yangon, the port authorities told the Staff Captain to just empty the "grey" water straight into the river. He said his protocols prohibited this and it had to be removed by tanker, so the water was piped into a road tanker, which then moved round to the other side of the dock and flushed the water straight into the river!!!

As Silver Spectre says, the country has a long way to go to catch up.

Enjoying all the news from the WC - keep it up please.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

BTW MJN, they not only had the "gourmet burgers" in the Pool Grill for lunch, but also in the MDR on the Shadow - it was a shame that the "meet and mingle" for our Shadow 3605 cruise didn't materialise, otherwise we would have finally met.

Master Echo,

the meet&mingle did take place but the "sc****d" the invitations: it said Thursday - the day of boarding - Feb 27th. We ran into ScottToronto during the safety drill and he alerted us that today was the 25th and they were going to re-issue invitation for Saturday the 27th. Can't remember if we ever got new invites but we did meet Scott and the cruise consultant on the 27th, but no one knew where you were. Sorry that we never connected afterwards as we only know your nom de guerre.

Still "debating with myself" whether to post a follow-up report on the ups and downs of #3605...