Vancouver to Tokyo

Mayriver

Out of curiosity, has anyone done this re-positioning cruise? We have done just about every other one ( LA to Auckland, London to Montreal, Dubai to Cape Town etc), but this leg intrigues us. All comments, good and bad are welcome.....!

We did this in Sept 2013, on Shadow. Have not looked at your itinerary but ours included:

-Ketchikan

-Juneau

-Skagway

-Kodiak

-Petropavlovsk

-Hakodate

This thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987852

has some comments about our particular cruise and links to more extensive reviews on this itinerary.

Our experience was simply FANTASTIC! However, we had great weather. ging466 the year before had absolutely crappy weather and not such a great time.

If you're interested we can discuss excursion/activity options in all the ports mentioned above.

Greg

Mayriver,

we were on the same cruise as gdlamberth and loved it. Yes, we were lucky with the weather and we love sea days - and both help a lot. Be prepared for other unpredictable events (apart from weather) which can happen on this itinerary (eg. the Russian navy conducted maneuvers around Kamchatka one year and delayed the departure of the Shadow by more than 24hours resulting in port cancellations thereafter). It is a very unique routing and we would put it on the "must do" list.

We did the reverse cruise in 2011 the year of the tsunami so left from Incheon instead of Tokyo.We also had smooth seas and loved it.This was before Cruise critic but a report here.Cruise starts at post 26-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/i-can-see-russia-my-29754.html

• 2 weeks later...
ging466 the year before had absolutely crappy weather and not such a great time.

I did this in 2012 and it was a great cruise and highly recommended. The crappy weather was through the Bering Straight and was to be expected. It was also a tad cold in Alaska but I'm from Australia and anything under 20C is cold to me :eek:

Petropavlovsk was the highlight for me...the volcano tour was marvellous.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers

Jennifer

We did this in Sept 2013, on Shadow. Have not looked at your itinerary but ours included:

-Ketchikan

-Juneau

-Skagway

-Kodiak

-Petropavlovsk

-Hakodate

This thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987852

has some comments about our particular cruise and links to more extensive reviews on this itinerary.

Our experience was simply FANTASTIC! However, we had great weather. ging466 the year before had absolutely crappy weather and not such a great time.

If you're interested we can discuss excursion/activity options in all the ports mentioned above.

Greg

Agree 100% with this post. We were on the same cruise.