Silver Wind Voyage to Avoid?

USAFSS4Ever

I was looking at Silver Wind Voyage 2716, Southhampton to London (Tower Pier), 31 May-12 Jun 2017. The itinerary looks quite interesting and my wife's birthday would occur during the cruise. It seemed perfect. But...I noticed that all the midship veranda suites, the category we normally book, are already waitlisted. So, I'm wondering. Does this suggest a company, organization, or large group will be aboard, and, perhaps, other suites have been booked as well (just not waitlisted yet)? And, if so, might this be a cruise to avoid? Appreciate any and all thoughts.

Probably not, these UK cruises sell out fast to Brits who like the no fly option. We did a similar one last year which was wait listed early and was fabulous. Nothing better than sailing up the Thames and through Tower Bridge to tie up to HMS Belfast opposite the Tower of London. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daily Mail,UK daily newspaper,chartered 50% of this and following cruise and heavily advertised a year ago..Great itinerary and unique sailing either into or out from Tower Bridge providing it takes place in daylight hours.Hope you enjoy your celebration cruise USAFSS4Ever.

Daily Mail,UK daily newspaper,chartered 50% of this and following cruise and heavily advertised a year ago..Great itinerary and unique sailing either into or out from Tower Bridge providing it takes place in daylight hours.Hope you enjoy your celebration cruise USAFSS4Ever.

Are you sure it wasn't the 'Offers'?

Probably not, these UK cruises sell out fast to Brits who like the no fly option. We did a similar one last year which was wait listed early and was fabulous. Nothing better than sailing up the Thames and through Tower Bridge to tie up to HMS Belfast opposite the Tower of London. Highly recommended.

Couldn't agree more. Which Cloud voyage were you on? It's an awesome experience.

Our cruise was from Tower Bridge on 19 July 2015 les37b. We went to St P and back.

I watched the cloud come into London on Saturday 17 July firstly at Dartford Bridge, then at Tower Bridge. (I made it just as the bridge started to be raised.

I came onboard on the 18th for a ship tour. (I had been on a few weeks before ... But wanted to say hello again.)

It docks right outside my office, so its really special for me. Im currently on the Wind, which I will be stalking in the summer on its 4 visits this summer and 5 in 2017..... Along with the Clouds final visit in 2017 before its refit.

I've a gallery of photos you may be interested in... (I don't want to post the link... But happy to email it if its of interest.

Got your message and replied... Using wind wifi.... So hopefully it went.

My vodafone connection / sim appears to have been disconnect and cant get hold of them. And their online chat isn't working.

Reverting to the original OP 's point about midship verandas, a block booking by a travel agent is not quite the same thing as a charter. Those booking with a T A will often be individual bookings rather than a single large homogenous group. Whilst there may be a cocktail party for the group as a whole, they are unlikely to be a "mob", for example taking over La Terrazza for a private function.

If anyone has any uncertainty concerning block bookings, then they would be advised to make enquiries with their local SS office. We know of several SS regulars who check and will cancel if there is a large group booking/mob.

The advice concerning the Tower Bridge arrival time is worth heeding because these quite often seem to change in actuality from the published brochure time. People have speculated that the time changes immediately after the balance of the fare is paid!! In all honesty, it would appear that the eventual arrival/departure into Tower Bridge is left to the vagaries of the Port of London Authority. There is a website which publishes tide times several months in advance and can be accessed a year ahead. Bridge liftings are also published several month ahead. There is also another thread on this subject which goes into the question in depth.

Hope this helps

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Ps Apologies for previous posting which did not appear to have any dialogue - the vagaries of the Internet !!

Reverting to the original OP 's point about midship verandas, a block booking by a travel agent is not quite the same thing as a charter. Those booking with a T A will often be individual bookings rather than a single large homogenous group. Whilst there may be a cocktail party for the group as a whole, they are unlikely to be a "mob", for example taking over La Terrazza for a private function.

If anyone has any uncertainty concerning block bookings, then they would be advised to make enquiries with their local SS office. We know of several SS regulars who check and will cancel if there is a large group booking/mob.

The advice concerning the Tower Bridge arrival time is worth heeding because these quite often seem to change in actuality from the published brochure time. People have speculated that the time changes immediately after the balance of the fare is paid!! In all honesty, it would appear that the eventual arrival/departure into Tower Bridge is left to the vagaries of the Port of London Authority. There is a website which publishes tide times several months in advance and can be accessed a year ahead. Bridge liftings are also published several month ahead. There is also another thread on this subject which goes into the question in depth.

Hope this helps

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Ps Apologies for previous posting which did not appear to have any dialogue - the vagaries of the Internet !!

• 9 months later...

Did you book in the end USAFSS4Ever?

If you did, be prepared to pass the Silver Cloud at about Greenwich on her way out as you arrive in London. It will be like a Piccadilly circus with Silversea ships on the 11th June!

Attached lift times for Tower bridge with all ship times which is what Master Echo refers. They dont normally book these lifts so early - and as you can see, its pretty much a Silversea only Bridge!

152624685_towerlifttimes.jpg.7e44f9b72a80dec6c53ef3bc5df3b51e.jpg

Edited by les37b

Did you book in the end USAFSS4Ever?

If you did, be prepared to pass the Silver Cloud at about Greenwich on her way out as you arrive in London. It will be like a Piccadilly circus with Silversea ships on the 11th June!

Attached lift times for Tower bridge with all ship times which is what Master Echo refers. They dont normally book these lifts so early - and as you can see, its pretty much a Silversea only Bridge!

Sounds spectacular!. Alas, in the end, we did not book. My wife has some mobility issues and embarkation/disembarkation would be problematic. Luckily, we were able to enjoy a couple of these cruise previously. As an alternative, we booked a cruise from Vancouver, Canada to Seward, Alaska with a another cruise line during the same time frame.