Handicap Access suites on Silver Wind

indigosea

Because of my wife's mobility issues, we were in suite 640 aboard the Wind for the recent transatlantic crossing. The suite door is wider than the standard door and entry with a wheelchair is possible. The bathroom is shower-only with a drop-down seat for use if standing isn't possible, and the shower is surrounded by a curtain. There seemed to be adequate positioning of grab bars, if needed. There is a shallow ramp (rather than a step) at the bathroom door to facilitate entery with a wheelchair or walker, although entry still was a bit difficult for my wife who uses a walker. There is no walk-in closet but, instead, two 2-door closets facing one another on opposite walls. When the bathroom door is completely open, access to one of these closets is blocked. There is enough space between the foot of the bed and nearby wall to get a wheelchair through. To use the veranda there is, again, a shallow ramp that helps if using a wheelchair or walker. My wife didn't venture onto the veranda, and I think it might have been difficult in any case. Finally, there are two emergency alarms in the room, a lengthy pull-cord near the shower (in case of a fall) and a red alarm button near the bed (dangerously close to a light switch). Hope this helps. Will try to answer any other questions you may have.

It can be noisy since it is next to the lobby. Sometimes group and friends meet there in the morning prior to wherever they are going. The Cruise Consultant is also nearby and it can get noisy. Don't despair, wear earplugs. It will be fine. Enjoy![emoji4][emoji568]

Edited by duct tape

Actually, we never noticed any noise from the cruise consultant or anyone else in that area. There was, however, a strange noise that occurred almost daily, sometimes for up to two hours that came from between the our bathroom wall and an adjacent closet in the hall that sounded like rushing water. It was mildly annoying and I wondered if the suite across the hall (643) might have been quieter. I have no idea about the rushing water sound but wondered if it had something to do with filling and emptying the pool. I guess I could have enquired, but did not.