Ft Lauderdale Hotels

CintiCruzer

Hi All

My wife and I are doing the Feb 5 sailing on The Regal. We would like to hear some recommendations for Hotels near the port. we are thinking coming in on Friday before the Sunday departure....

Want to consider a place that provides transportation to the pier...

Your comments are appreciated

Cinticruzer

This question is asked almost daily on the Florida Departures Board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495. Do some research there on recent threads and then post the question if you haven't found satisfactory information.

One more thing - when you post a question on the Florida Departures Board make sure you include your budget and the date. As you may (or may not) know, hotels rates vary greatly according to the season (summer = low season; winter = high season) and knowing your budget will help readers provide more helpful responses.

Edited by capriccio

Hi All

My wife and I are doing the Feb 5 sailing on The Regal. We would like to hear some recommendations for Hotels near the port. we are thinking coming in on Friday before the Sunday departure....

Cinticruzer

Hyatt Place on 10th next to the embassy suites

Renaissance on 17th next across from the entrance to the port

Embassy Suites 17th St

All a $10 cab ride to the pier from any of them.

From the Renaissance we walk to the pier. Actually we have walked from all 3.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

IF the hotel provides transportation to the port, the cost is per person, always cheaper to cab it.

We have always had to show government ID and boarding pass' to get through security into the port.

IF the hotel provides transportation to the port, the cost is per person, always cheaper to cab it.

We have always had to show government ID and boarding pass' to get through security into the port.

The vehicle security booths at the port entrance have been removed from what I understand.

The vehicle security booths at the port entrance have been removed from what I understand.

Only for terminal 2 where many, but not all (especially in the high season when multiple Princess ships are in port), Princess ships depart from. The security booth that used to be before terminal 2 has been moved past terminal 2.

When considering hotel costs, take into account that the Renaissance doesn't include breakfast and there's a charge for parking if you rent a car. Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites include breakfast and parking. Both include transfers between FLL and the hotel and then the port. As has been said, rather than lining up for a transfer van, it's easier and probably cheaper to grab a cab to the port.

Only for terminal 2 where many, but not all (especially in the high season when multiple Princess ships are in port), Princess ships depart from. The security booth that used to be before terminal 2 has been moved past terminal 2.

Thanks I knew it was something like that.

When considering hotel costs, take into account that the Renaissance doesn't include breakfast and there's a charge for parking if you rent a car. Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites include breakfast and parking. Both include transfers between FLL and the hotel and then the port. As has been said, rather than lining up for a transfer van, it's easier and probably cheaper to grab a cab to the port.

Embassy Suites doesn't have a shuttle from FLL to the hotel - taxi fare would be about $15 plus tip. It has a shuttle from the hotel to the port for less than $10 per person. I agree that it is cheaper (especially if you have more than one person in your group) and easier (the cab will take you directly to your terminal; with a shuttle on a busy day you will be dropping passengers off at multiple terminals).

If you are interested in Hyatt Place, consider booking it through http://www.valuetrips.com (lots of info on the Florida Departures Board) for considerable savings.

My go to hotel is the Marriott Renaissance on 17th. St. Close to the pier, restaurants are within walking distance and there's a Wallgreen's right across the street for those munchie attacks or forgotten sundries.

For two nights I'd look at beach hotels. Easy to use sun trolley and water taxi as well as restaurants all in walking distance.

Hotels on 17th St or just off, are ok. But we prefer the beach view/walks when we visit in winter months from the midwest, not just a generic busy road.

Edited by eandj

For two nights I'd look at beach hotels. Easy to use sun trolley and water taxi as well as restaurants all in walking distance.

Hotels on 17th St or just off, are ok. But we prefer the beach view/walks when we visit in winter months from the midwest, not just a generic busy road.

I'm with you! We stayed for three nights pre cruise at the beach last year and it was great. We initially checked out the big chain hotels people recommend near the pier but rates were in the $300 range per night, sorry not going to pay almost as much for three nights in a hotel as we did for the cruise! Love visiting the Las Olas shops and restaurants and walking along the beach area with so much to see!

I would definitely go to the Florida boards and tripadvisor!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

My go to Hotel is the Hilton Marina, 1881 SE 17th St. get the port side view high floor. You can watch the ship come in (yes that is way before the sun comes up). Also watch them leave the night before. While pricy Hilton may still have their sale on plus we have Hilton points :). I have already booked our room for April of 2017 with the discount was under 300/night with port view. The Hyatt and Renaissance are the only ones with views of the port. The Marriott Harbor beach has beach access and you can watch the ships leave the port.

Hi All

Cinticruzer

Most are going to recommend the Embassy suites.

Really, when we were there in November, they were doing construction and the booths leaving the port going to the airport seemed new. But the booth going off 17th street seemed to be staying.

When we go this November, will look for that. Also will check out port threads

Thanks for the heads up.

See post above.

Really, when we were there in November, they were doing construction and the booths leaving the port going to the airport seemed new. But the booth going off 17th street seemed to be staying.

When we go this November, will look for that. Also will check out port threads

Thanks for the heads up.

The check point entering from SE 17th Street has moved a little further

into the port.

The goal of the change was to provide people access to the convention

center without having to go through the check point.

The side effect of this is that there is access to Berth 2 (which is

most frequently used by Princess) without going through the checkpoint.

So, I don't think the "booths off 17th street are staying"

You can read the word of god here:

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/construction/

Scroll down to: "seaport and convention center security improvement project"

Edited by pablo222

For those not looking for a "beach experience" but simply a nice, clean, affordable place to sleep for an evening before you board the ship ... I'd suggest the Best Western Airport/Cruise Port hotel. It's a typical two-story hotel with a nice breakfast. It's also an easy walk to restaurants on the evening you arrive. There's also a McDonald's right next door if you're looking for fast food. We stayed there on both ends of a recent cruise. They also have a $15 shuttle to the pier. We UBER'd for about the same price as the shuttle for two.

Edited by BigGuy25

We always stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th.

It's expensive as heck ($330+) but what a beautiful place. It always seems full. All suites, gorgeous foyer, free first class breakfast, free daily cocktail party, and beautiful pool area.

If you have Hyatt points stashed away, the Hyatt Place 17th St / Convention Center is a great option. It was clean, staff very friendly, breakfast satisfactory, and walkable to shopping and nearby restaurants. It is very close to the Embassy Suites. When available, one night is 8000 points, or 4000 points and $55. We thought it was a good use of points considering the prices for Ft. Lauderdale.

Really surprised to see the many recommendations for a room for $280 - $300+! I can see splurging a little for a two-night stay, but wow...:p

We stay just one night prior and are fine with the BW or QI...we look at nicer hotels when sopending more time there...

The check point entering from SE 17th Street has moved a little further

into the port.

The goal of the change was to provide people access to the convention

center without having to go through the check point.

The side effect of this is that there is access to Berth 2 (which is

most frequently used by Princess) without going through the checkpoint.

So, I don't think the "booths off 17th street are staying"

You can read the word of god here:

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/construction/

Scroll down to: "seaport and convention center security improvement project"

Thank you so much for the update, thanks for posting the link. So, going to the pier Princess uses, you don't need to go through security now, that makes it easier for those who just want to walk in, which we might do, depending on how "lightly" I can pack LOL.