Speyer Home hostess gift?

hugueys

I was told that GCT was the first river cruise company to have a home visit as a regular feature of their cruises. And as H2Otstr notes, GCT suggests that one might want to bring a small gift. I gather (from friends who have traveled extensively in Europe) that it is the custom to bring a small gift to one's hostess - with the emphasis on "small" gift. I would definitely bring a gift again, probably flowers. We had an amazing visit with our hostess, and I think our freely offered gifts may have helped establish a rapport that enhanced our visit.

On a couple occasions we, as visitors, have been given gifts from the host family. In Myanmar we were given special hats to take with us. On another occasion we were given booklets made by the host family about themselves.

... COULD YOU PLEASE TURN OFF THE CONSTANT BOLDING IN ALL YOUR POSTS? It is a form of shouting...

Probably not. I do it because it's easier for me (and a number of friends on other boards) to read and has the additional benefit of allowing anyone who wishes to do so to easily identify and skip my posts.

If I were shouting, IT WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS but I generally try to be a bit more soft-spoken, at least in choosing font size.

But thanks for asking.

Probably not. I do it because it's easier for me (and a number of friends on other boards) to read and has the additional benefit of allowing anyone who wishes to do so to easily identify and skip my posts.

Duly noted.

Thank all y'all again for your suggestions. I will go with a consumable/disposable gift. Do you think a box of bourbon chocolates would make it through security (smile)? I was raised in the South and I would never hear the end of it from my Mom if I didn't bring something. Flowers would be ok, but I would be anxious about finding a place to buy them and who wants to worry on a vacation.

Leads me to ask. Is there an "ignore" feature on this board? There are a few chronic shouters.

There are two things you can do, depending on what you want to ignore. Both are turned on in your "User CP" [left end of the yellow stripe at the top of the page]. In "Settings & Options -- Edit Options" you can uncheck "Show Signatures" [but it turns them off globally and there is no local override so you would have to go back to User CP to turn them back on just to see one]. Just below that setting is "Edit Ignore List" -- copy and paste the user name in the box and click OK -- this one is easier because the message still shows, just without content, and there is a link marked "View Post" that will let you see that one post without cancelling the global Ignore setting. [unfortunately as a Host I can't truly ignore anybody, since I need to check every post for Guideline violations. Sigh] You can also use the Red Triangle to flag posts that you think are inappropriate. I try to use a loose approach generally, but when a post is flagged I am more apt to delete it.

Thank all y'all again for your suggestions. I will go with a consumable/disposable gift. Do you think a box of bourbon chocolates would make it through security (smile)? I was raised in the South and I would never hear the end of it from my Mom if I didn't bring something. Flowers would be ok, but I would be anxious about finding a place to buy them and who wants to worry on a vacation.

Maybe if you offered one to the security agent. :) I think bourbon chocolates would be a splendid gift...and my mother raised me (in the North) with the same set of rules! Most of the time flowers are relatively easy to find....there are shops as well as vendors and depending on the time of year, they seem to be plentiful, but I do like the bourbon filled chocolates. I really don't know what security would do it's so haphazard as to what you can take through, where and when. Safest would be to put them in checked bag....they'll also stay cooler. I'd wrap the box in a piece of bubble wrap (save it) and put them in a zip lock bag (save that too). But don't obsess over this....a gift is really not required....except by our mothers!

Edited by Hydrokitty