Viking Review - Portraits of Southern France

Solent Richard

My wife and I have recently returned from an excellent cruise on Viking Hermod..

22851263616_602f44ffec_z.jpg

It was without any doubt the most 'active' river cruise that I have experienced having made use of all the excursions offered - both the complimentary ones and those that came at an additionally charge.

22459055368_89c1fde52c_z.jpg

Among the highlights was an overnight stop in Avignon when, after dinner, the Captain departed our berth and cruised past the famous Pont D'Avignon so that we could witness its night time illumination...

22458681197_1d4df0d0df_z.jpg

On some days there was a hard decision to be made when tours of conflicting interest were running simultaneously. One such tour was a journey on a steam railway for which I had to pass on a vineyard visit...

22267783874_1148c471eb_z.jpg

22472194468_b5db1c1ffb_z.jpg

The aqueduct in the above photograph was built by the German Army during the war in order to power a small hydro-electric plant further down the valley. (Photographs in the blog)

With hindsight I made the right choice as there was always wine available on board Hermod when we returned.

Similarly on the optional 'charged' excursions there were choices to be made and again, I sacrificed a visit to a Chateauneuf du Pape vineyard in order to see the largest and best preserved Roman Aqueduct still standing, the Pont du Gard...

22864418276_066e89d5eb_z.jpg

A full review of both the Viking Hermod and the 'Portraits of Southern France' itinerary, including over 60 photographs, can be found on my blog site...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

Edited by Solent Richard

Looks like they have changed the itinerary in the last year since we took this cruise. We started in Chalon-du-Soane not Lyon and went to (actually near) Arles as our Southern most destination. We didn't have the train ride tour option either! Guess they need to keep the cruises fresh!

Where was the train ride?

Looks like they have changed the itinerary in the last year since we took this cruise. We started in Chalon-du-Soane not Lyon and went to (actually near) Arles as our Southern most destination. We didn't have the train ride tour option either! Guess they need to keep the cruises fresh!

Where was the train ride?

Hi Pinotlover.

We flew into Lyon and were coached to Chalon-du-Soane - it's all written in the blog.

The steam train ride was from our stop in Touron and was offered as an alternative to the Hermitage visit - again, it's all in the blog.

22864557546_ba85b3a58f_z.jpg

22498371609_a2b3dfa655_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

Richard,

Enjoyed reading your review. My husband and I were among the first passengers on the Hermod 2+ years ago on the southbound Portraits of Southern France and we enjoyed it immensely. However, we did not have the steam train as a optional tour. My husband would have been all over that one! :D.

Thanks again. Your review brought back some lovely memories.

Becki

Thank you for sharing. Enjoyed both your blog and the photos. The steam engine train ride would be of particular interest to my husband, I didn't realize there was one on this itinerary. I think this cruise just moved up a few notches on the wish list!

It's offered by several river cruise lines. Reviews of the steam train excursion have not be very positive. The seats are apparently wooden park benches so the ride is hard and backs-of-a-certain-age [like mine!] ache long before the end of the ride. We took an alternative choice.

It's offered by several river cruise lines. Reviews of the steam train excursion have not be very positive. The seats are apparently wooden park benches so the ride is hard and backs-of-a-certain-age [like mine!] ache long before the end of the ride. We took an alternative choice.

DH is a train buff. If there is a little engine that could, steam puffing out of a smokestack, and something that rides on rails he is there. He's a good sport about going to Europe; Palaces, churches, museums, cobblestone streets, and cultural events(Opera, ballet, concerts) are my thing & food, trains and the Caribbean are his. I try to throw him a few bones when we cross the pond. But thanks for the warning!

DH is a train buff. If there is a little engine that could, steam puffing out of a smokestack, and something that rides on rails he is there. He's a good sport about going to Europe; Palaces, churches, museums, cobblestone streets, and cultural events(Opera, ballet, concerts) are my thing & food, trains and the Caribbean are his. I try to throw him a few bones when we cross the pond. But thanks for the warning!

Maybe you could borrow a lounger-cushion from the sun deck? And since you'll be missing a wine tasting, bring your own bottle (for "medicinal purposes") :D

Hi Jazz.

I guess if one is signing up for a train ride on a railway that was originally opened in 1891 one cannot seriously expect 'club' carriages.

On our journey there were those who complained that we keen photographers had the windows open!

All part of life's rich tapestry I guess.

Hi Jazz.

I guess if one is signing up for a train ride on a railway that was originally opened in 1891 one cannot seriously expect 'club' carriages.

On our journey there were those who complained that we keen photographers had the windows open!

All part of life's rich tapestry I guess.

I would expect at least horsehair stuffing. Comfort wasn't invented in the 20th century!

Thank you for the review and the blog post. My wife and I were on this cruise in May 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it to any who are considering a trip to the South of France. It was beautiful. We did a pre-cruise stay in Nice and post-cruise in Paris. So this cruise is a great way to spend some time in a great part of the country.