What to Expect: Dining on a River Cruise

Host Jazzbeau

New article on Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2080

Just want to add to this statement: "However, some, such as Scenic's Table La Rive, which offers a six-course tasting menu with wine pairings to ten diners per evening, is only available to passengers staying in suites. Others have to be reserved in advance. As demand can be high, it's recommended to book at the beginning of the cruise."

On our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on Uniworld this summer they also offered a special tasting menu dinner with wine pairings on certain nights to 20 diners per evening. Anyone could sign up for it and it was free. The food and wine were delicious, the service first rate, and the scenery (it is held in a small, covered area on the deck) absolutely beautiful.

Just want to add to this statement: "However, some, such as Scenic's Table La Rive, which offers a six-course tasting menu with wine pairings to ten diners per evening, is only available to passengers staying in suites. Others have to be reserved in advance. As demand can be high, it's recommended to book at the beginning of the cruise."

On our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on Uniworld this summer they also offered a special tasting menu dinner with wine pairings on certain nights to 20 diners per evening. Anyone could sign up for it and it was free. The food and wine were delicious, the service first rate, and the scenery (it is held in a small, covered area on the deck) absolutely beautiful.

This was the case on our Uniworld cruise in August/September. We were lucky enough to get a reservation. The meal was outstanding!

No mention of Tauck anywhere. Perhaps they didn't pay the "joining fee".

Please tell us what they have. I don't think these articles are ever comprehensive, but we can fill them out with the combined knowledge of all the past cruisers on this forum!

New article on Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2080

It seems as if the author of the article got paid for gleaming all the free information taken from the boards. I dislike these CC articles. I like to get my information first hand from past cruisers. Not sanitized edited by CC versions.

Going on my first River Cruise in April and I am quite outgoing and enjoy

the company of tablemates. I sail solo and do hope the other passengers

are friendly too. I much prefer to eat dinner with other folks:)

It seems as if the author of the article got paid for gleaming all the free information taken from the boards. I dislike these CC articles. I like to get my information first hand from past cruisers. Not sanitized edited by CC versions.

It makes sense to me that they would do that. This question comes up a lot on the forums, and Cruise Critic likely has many readers (reviews and articles) that do not participate in or read the forums. So when editors notice a trend, they spend some time compiling information for folks that don't use the forums.

It makes sense to me that they would do that. This question comes up a lot on the forums, and Cruise Critic likely has many readers (reviews and articles) that do not participate in or read the forums. So when editors notice a trend, they spend some time compiling information for folks that don't use the forums.

And even for those who do use the forums, it's nice to have a recap with a lot of information in one place. That's why I also put links to these articles in the two stickies at the top.

Going on my first River Cruise in April and I am quite outgoing and enjoy

the company of tablemates. I sail solo and do hope the other passengers

are friendly too. I much prefer to eat dinner with other folks:)

I've done 8 river cruises, Lois, and while I'm not sailing solo, we usually select tables for 6 or 8 and with very few exceptions, have always enjoyed the people we've met. A few tips that might make it easier for you:

1. Wear your name tag....at least until you've met some people whose names you remember. :D

2. Go to the port talk, look for people sitting alone and ask if you can join them. Then when you walk into the dining room you're already with someone you've at least spoken to.

3. I always start with "Hi, where are you guys from?" and then move on to "where else have you been?" Just about everyone likes to share travel stories and adventures and it keeps the conversation going without hitting any "hot button" topics, which IMHO are to be avoided at all costs!!

I've done 8 river cruises, Lois, and while I'm not sailing solo, we usually select tables for 6 or 8 and with very few exceptions, have always enjoyed the people we've met. A few tips that might make it easier for you:

1. Wear your name tag....at least until you've met some people whose names you remember. :D

2. Go to the port talk, look for people sitting alone and ask if you can join them. Then when you walk into the dining room you're already with someone you've at least spoken to.

3. I always start with "Hi, where are you guys from?" and then move on to "where else have you been?" Just about everyone likes to share travel stories and adventures and it keeps the conversation going without hitting any "hot button" topics, which IMHO are to be avoided at all costs!!

Hi, thanks for the reply:) I appreciate your postings but

I am not a "name tag" person......(if you were serious)....I am very

outgoing and it is very easy for me to meet people so it should be

be good:)

I'm not a "name tag" person either, wearing mine doesn't help me know the name of a table mate I don't know ;). That said I try to wear mine in social situations and meals on-board . . .

Hi, that is what makes us all different;)......I have no desire to wear

a name tag to dinner.

Hi, thanks for the reply:) I appreciate your postings but

I am not a "name tag" person......(if you were serious)....I am very

outgoing and it is very easy for me to meet people so it should be

be good:)

Actually, nobody likes to wear them but if it really bothers you, don't wear it.... I wear mine because it helps to avoid the embarrassing "I'm sorry, what did you say your name was" and at our age, that happens a lot. :D Bottom line is: you do what makes you comfortable and no matter what you decide, you won't be the only one!!! The most important thing is you're open to meeting new people and friendly by nature so you shouldn't have any trouble getting to know people at all.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I didn't know any cruiseline provides a name tag:eek: I have never heard

of it until this thread.

And I am going on AMA so no need to worry about it:D

Thank you all:)

Our alternate dining venue on Uniworld was the Leopard Lounge. Seating was awkward and not comfortable and food and service the most lackluster of the trip.

AMA has the Chef's Table which for us has ranged from excellent to average, depending on the ship.

LOL; The first thing I thought of when seeing this thread was :

Loud, Very loud, with lots of noise! :p Having sailed on Viking and Uniworld, the ship or line doesn't seem to matter. Lots of chatter, and it gets where one can't hear those across the table from them. What this translates to is that some people start talking very loudly to be heard, which only then multiplies across the dining rooms. Add in lots of wine, along with some with megaphone voices, and the place is louder than a drunken frat house party! Wish the lines would put noise deadening paneling in the ceilings in the dining rooms to help this out. Wouldn't be very expensive, and most of us wouldn't have to attempt lip reading!

Loud, Very loud, with lots of noise! :p Having sailed on Viking and Uniworld, the ship or line doesn't seem to matter. Lots of chatter, and it gets where one can't hear those across the table from them. What this translates to is that some people start talking very loudly to be heard, which only then multiplies across the dining rooms. Add in lots of wine, along with some with megaphone voices, and the place is louder than a drunken frat house party! Wish the lines would put noise deadening paneling in the ceilings in the dining rooms to help this out. Wouldn't be very expensive, and most of us wouldn't have to attempt lip reading!

I'm not sure if it's because their ships are different, or just my perception -- but I have not been bothered by the noise levels in the dining rooms on AMA river ships.

I've only been on a Viking Longship, and I agree with you. I bailed on the Farewell Dinner it was so noisy, combined with the air conditioner not being able to keep with the 90f and up temperature...very uncomfortable for me. After 15 minutes I couldn't take it, just seemed to get louder and louder, I headed on up to the Aqauvit dining area and I was quite happy with the hamburger they cooked up for me. It was a gorgeous outside on the bow.

Luckily my wife and 2 daughters understand me and they made apologies to the nice Scottish couples we had been sitting with.

There were about 10 of us skipping the big meal, and we were all pretty happy right where we were. An Aussie couple had eaten up there 11/12 times out of 14 nights, another couple maybe 7 or 8 times. They all mentioned the noise bothering them.

Our alternate dining venue on Uniworld was the Leopard Lounge. Seating was awkward and not comfortable and food and service the most lackluster of the trip.

Not the case on our Uniworld cruise at all. They used the cafe (aka Sky Lounge) on the upper deck of the Antoinette and it was wonderful.

On another note, I wasn't aware that any cruise lines provided name tags, and doubt I'd be wearing one to dinner (or elsewhere) if they did. :eek:

Edited by bubbulz