PARIS ATTACKS-will River Cruises cancel?

dcruisers

With the very recent multpile attacks in several tourist locations, wondering if Paris will be on the no travel list. We cancelled our river cruise to Normandy this past May transferring to Portugal April 2016. We had hoped to rebook our Paris trip but with the organized military type attack, I don't think we will.

How sad for all the innocent victims......this is total madness.

Hi everyone,

We're monitoring the attacks in Paris and any cruise/travel effects it might have, along with you. If you are on a cruise that's been affected, or have anything to share, please contribute a post if you can.

Our thoughts are with everyone in Paris right now.

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

I personally know of three families canceling trips to Europe right now..........

Glad I saw it when it was nice ---- this scourge has actually been descending on the region since the 1970's -- and at the invitation of European govts. For shame!

Hi everyone,

We're monitoring the attacks in Paris and any cruise/travel effects it might have, along with you. If you are on a cruise that's been affected, or have anything to share, please contribute a post if you can.

Our thoughts are with everyone in Paris right now.

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Thank you for seeking information. We shall all be watching. I wouldn't travel to Paris right away but would in a year or two.

I personally know of three families canceling trips to Europe right now..........

Glad I saw it when it was nice ---- this scourge has actually been descending on the region since the 1970's -- and at the invitation of European govts. For shame!

Are you friends canceling trips in other parts of Europe than Paris?

I am scheduled to go on a travel agent fam tour next month, my first river cruise. I'm not sure if I will go, but am also interested in other people's thoughts and decisions. I don't want the terrorists to win, but does my common sense override my bravery, or vice versa?

Liz

I am scheduled to go on a travel agent fam tour next month, my first river cruise. I'm not sure if I will go, but am also interested in other people's thoughts and decisions. I don't want the terrorists to win, but does my common sense override my bravery, or vice versa?

Liz

Go and have a great time! But DO bring your common sense and brain with you. Be aware of your surroundings and enjoy :)

Are you friends canceling trips in other parts of Europe than Paris?

Having lived through 9/11 I don't think my sense of insecurity has lessened since that day. I will continue to travel on planes, trains (but not subways), and boats. To do less is to let ISIS and other terrorist criminals win. I'm not being political, but I do look for the US, France, Britain, Germany AND Russia to get together and finally do something to eliminate these terrorists.....soon.

I was worried about flights to and through Paris when I heard that President Hollande had closed the borders, but "according to Sky News, the French Foreign Ministry says that airports are to remain open and flights and trains will continue. As of late Friday evening in Paris, Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Airport –the city’s largest airport--remains open, but some carriers have delayed flights into the city."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/11/13/flights-to-paris-continue-despite-closed-borders/

I leave in the AM for my Danube cruise. Our flight connects through Paris. I have no intention of changing any of my plans. As long as the airport remains open.

Safe travels, pray for the people of Paris and have a wonderful trip! Be sure and bring your good humor and a sense of adventure :)

I leave in the AM for my Danube cruise. Our flight connects through Paris. I have no intention of changing any of my plans. As long as the airport remains open.

Hopefully all flights are landing there. Admire your sense of adventure.

American Airlines delays Paris flights; Delta & United operate as planned

[dateline Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54pm EST]

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/14/us-france-shooting-flights-usa-idUSKCN0T302X20151114?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I WILL return to Paris and plan to do so this next Spring. I have no intention of letting these murderers win.... I stand with Paris and the French people!

I very much agree with you. I have lived through the terrorist attacks that took place in London and refused to be beaten then. I will not be beaten now and look forward to my Seine cruise next August.

While I don't have plans - I would encourage people to continue with their plans. If it was me - I would go. Unfortunately, US is just as much a target as the other places. To think we are safer at home (wherever home is) is wrong.

Everyone in Europe is stepping up security. If you think about it, after 9-11 was one of the safest times to travel. Everyone was on high alert.

Safe travels to everyone!

Edited by Coral

Currently on Viking Pride in Conflans. We were due to sail into Paris this evening and disembark tomorrow. We have just been advised that we will stay in Conflans tonight and disembarkation is expected to still happen tomorrow but from Conflans instead of Paris.

The optional tour to Versailles was cancelled today because of the lockdown. I did not hear any complaints. Mood on ship is much more somber than it has been for the past week, which is understandable. Some just want to get home.

We have had a great cruise, though. The staff have been fantastic, the food amazing, and most tours have exceeded my expectations.

While I don't have plans - I would encourage people to continue with their plans. If it was me - I would go. Unfortunately, US is just as much a target as the other places. To think we are safer at home (wherever home is) is wrong.

Everyone in Europe is stepping up security. If you think about it, after 9-11 was one of the safest times to travel. Everyone was on high alert.

Safe travels to everyone!

I agree with all of the above and have no plans to alter my travel plans. And I will travel to Europe next year as planned, more than once I hope.

I went to NYC less than a week after 9/11. I had business there and did not change my plans. I did not feel unsafe, just very saddened by what happened there.

I have been traveling internationally since I was 16 and have no plans to stop now.

I was in Paris when the subway was bombed in 1995. In July we were in Lyon when the train station was shut down for much of the day due to a bomb threat.

We leave for London in 6 days and then onto Berlin for several days prior to a river cruise. We will exercise the same cautions as always. But staying home is not an option.

Edited by caviargal

ISIS is a risk worldwide. Yes they are in U.S. also. Terrorists goal is to literally put terror into people so that society as we know it ceases to exist. They're hitting soft targets. Which means unless you are prepared to lock yourself in your house and never go anywhere, there is the risk of terrorism.

ISIS is a risk worldwide. Yes they are in U.S. also. Terrorists goal is to literally put terror into people so that society as we know it ceases to exist. They're hitting soft targets. Which means unless you are prepared to lock yourself in your house and never go anywhere, there is the risk of terrorism.

Agree, we are not planning a trip to Paris or France, but if we were, I would not cancel the trip. Terrorism can strike in the US, France, UK, Russia, or elsewhere in the world.

It has become more complicated these days, since ISIS has taken over half of Syria and one third of Iraq. Further, there are probably ISIS terrorist seeded in the many hundreds of thousands refugees now moving into many European countries. The threat of more radical Islamic attacks will continue to grow until something serious is done to destroy ISIS. The current strategy is doing very little to slow it down.

River cruises are probably among the lowest risk trips available.

I agree with all of the above and have no plans to alter my travel plans. And I will travel to Europe next year as planned, more than once I hope.

I went to NYC less than a week after 9/11. I had business there and did not change my plans. I did not feel unsafe, just very saddened by what happened there.

I have been traveling internationally since I was 16 and have no plans to stop now.

I was in Paris when the subway was bombed in 1995. In July we were in Lyon when the train station was shut down for much of the day due to a bomb threat.

We leave for London in 6 days and then onto Berlin for several days prior to a river cruise. We will exercise the same cautions as always. But staying home is not an option.

Nothing to add to that Caviargal!! It's ok to be nervous, that makes you more vigilant, but it's not ok to be scared, because then you stop enjoying life. I will not change plans unless the airports are closed and I can't get there from here. I think initially the borders were closed until they knew what was going on and wanted to prevent the terrorists from leaving the country. PP is right about one thing: Paris is safer today than it was yesterday....a pilot friend once told me the safest day to fly is the day after a crash...I would leave extra time to the airport for more than likely enhanced security but otherwise I wouldn't my plans either. And please, if you're heading to Paris bring your compassion and support but don't take pictures.

Totally agree, we depart in 2 weeks for our Christmas markets cruise and have no plans to change unless airports are closed and hope to do the same next year.

Common sense caution important as always but life must go on as terrorism can happen anywhere at any time. I will not be a prisoner at home because of Isis.

Safe travels to all and our prayers for Paris and those so closely impacted.