Viking - Grand European Tour Excursions

kermit1986

Hello to all! We are seriously considering doing the Grand European in 9/2016. We understand that you can do additional "shore" excursions for a fee, but I can't find anything about them. Does anyone have any information on these or know where I can find info?

Also, any idea where I can find historical "stats" for river levels and whether we need to be bussed to areas?

Thanks to all!

Happy Cruisin'

kermit1986

Welcome to the River Cruise Board!

If you read about the last 20 pages (a guess) the one thing you will see is that "low water" is just about the only thing this board has been talking about for the last 3+ months and cruises turning into bus tours.

You might want to start by reviewing a few pages m, it's an eye opener for sure!

I'm sure a Viking cruiser or 2 will answer the questions about extra excursions for fees.

Try this link for your detailed itinerary: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/passenger_documentation/2015/Rivers/15GRAEURAMS_Grand_European_Tour_AMS-BUD.pdf

As you read, day by day, you'll see the information about the optional tours and their cost. Whether this is the most recent information, I can't tell you, but it is current to Mar 9/15. Once onboard, you'll get a glossy brochure with more information about the tours. The cost will be on the page that you will fill out to book the tours.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the River Cruising forum!

You don't indicate how much research you have done before deciding on this proposed cruise. I strongly suggest that you take some time to do research before booking the first cruise or with the first company that you became aware of. There are many itineraries and many different cruise lines -- and something else may turn out to be much more suitable for your first river cruise.

I suggest you start by reading the sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference]. The range among river cruise lines that market in the US is fairly small -- but there are differences from the bottom to the top, and the prices don't vary as much as it first appears because the more expensive lines include more things that cost extra on the "cheaper" lines. For information on choosing a river, read the sticky River Cruise Basics articles on Cruise Critic at the top of this forum. I also recommend the book Berlitz guide to River Cruising in Europe by Douglas Ward, which may be found at your public library.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone done the Viking Grand European cruise lately? Do you have any thoughts on the optional tours - ones that are good and worth the time and money or others that we could skip. We plan to do all the included tours.

We loved the upgraded tour in Nuremburg, focusing on **** history and visiting a museum, the parade grounds, the courtroom for the Nuremberg trials.

We took the additional evening excursion to hear classical music in Vienna, it is worthwhile. I wish they had an upgraded day tour of Vienna.

The included tours are nice overview tours.

You sign up for the upgraded and optional tours onboard.

We loved the upgraded tour in Nuremburg, focusing on **** history and visiting a museum, the parade grounds, the courtroom for the Nuremberg trials.

We took the additional evening excursion to hear classical music in Vienna, it is worthwhile. I wish they had an upgraded day tour of Vienna.

The included tours are nice overview tours.

You sign up for the upgraded and optional tours onboard.

Trying to make the most of short time in Amsterdam. Will arrive at airport around 9:30 am and would like to purchase tickets to Ann Frank house but heard there's also an afternoon walking tour. Can anyone help me with the timing of tour...start time, length. Any other sites to see/do pre midnight sail would be greatly appreciated. Also should option tours be purchased pre-cruise?