River Cruise Lines Eye Security Measures after Paris Attacks

Host Jazzbeau

All for show to lessen pax fears. Will not stop a terrorist. It might detect someone coming aboard with a weapon. And what if they pull out said weapon and then start shooting? Yes, I'm jaded enough to believe the River Cruise lines will institute the metal detectors if they think it will prevent business from dropping.

All for show to lessen pax fears. Will not stop a terrorist. It might detect someone coming aboard with a weapon. And what if they pull out said weapon and then start shooting? Yes, I'm jaded enough to believe the River Cruise lines will institute the metal detectors if they think it will prevent business from dropping.

G2C - I agree that the companies will implement measures to save business but I also think that cruise staff will tighten security for their own safety as well as for the passenger's (safety). Especially during resupply - this is the weak link.

True. Metal detectors may not be what stops a terrorist (or joe shmuck-a-tellee criminal) but it will remind staff and passengers to "keep their heads on a swivel" at all times - even aboard and underway.

I'm still psyched about my up-and-coming, first-ever, Christmas river cruise on the Danube (northbound).

Edited by kwbts124

The first step before going to the theatre of metal detectors to allegedly stop weapons would be to actually control access to the boat. In a dozen river cruises I have yet to see any meaningful access control. If you walk onto the boat and look like you belong and know where you are going nobody questions you. I have walked through MANY rafted boats showing no identification indicating that I was a guest on any boat and there was absolutely nothing to prevent me walking down the halls on any of them.

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

Oh lordie, what a goat rope metal detectors on river cruises will be. All those artificial hips, knees and shoulders. Well, at least we'll be getting multiple massages every day. :rolleyes: don't forget that they will also need to hand search every bag and parcel coming onboard.

It's security theater in large venues like airports, cruise ports and sports venues. And, in the latter two, what do they mostly find? Bottles of liquids . . . Liquids that are sold for ridiculously inflated prices. Just what we need . . . More theater.

IME, in a day or two the ship's crew, at least the HD, maitre d' and front desk staff, know everyone by name.

Guys. The terrorists have machine guns and bombs. And if they really want to kill you they'll wait until you're all huddled together standing around the tour guide or in a restaurant or store. Don't cancel because you're waiting for metal detectors.

Guys. The terrorists have machine guns and bombs. And if they really want to kill you they'll wait until you're all huddled together standing around the tour guide or in a restaurant or store...

Precisely for this reason I have avoided tours in Egypt and have traveled unaccompanied on my several Egyptian visits. I never felt threatened traveling alone, even when I was in Luxor the month 50 Germans were machined gunned in 1996. I would much rather be too small a target to be worthwhile than being on that guarded bus with a great big target on it

Thom