Siracusa on island of Ortygia. Have you been?

BBMacLaird

Yes. On the Journey in 2014. We had a driver that took us to Catania and Noto. Noto is also beautiful and not as touristy. We had a few hours to walk around Siracusa after our tour. It is so beautiful. I keep hoping Azamara would do a Sicily only itinerary.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I actually did a guest-stay while I was there and lived with a family for a week. I loved the town, the harbor is beautiful, and so is the town. The Temple of Apollo is something cool to see, and all of the squares were beautiful as well. Actually, the best pizza I've ever had was in Siracusa, but of course I cannot think of the name. Arenella Beach is another nice thing to see, I enjoyed it there. We also climbed up part of Mount Etna, and that was such an amazing experience. If you're up for it and want to consider doing it, I would certainly recommend it. Just be prepared, it is pretty hot, but it is a very fun thing to see.

I can post some pictures of things if you would like, I could also reach out to the girl I lived with if that will help!

Yes, I actually did a guest-stay while I was there and lived with a family for a week. I loved the town, the harbor is beautiful, and so is the town. The Temple of Apollo is something cool to see, and all of the squares were beautiful as well. Actually, the best pizza I've ever had was in Siracusa, but of course I cannot think of the name. Arenella Beach is another nice thing to see, I enjoyed it there. We also climbed up part of Mount Etna, and that was such an amazing experience. If you're up for it and want to consider doing it, I would certainly recommend it. Just be prepared, it is pretty hot, but it is a very fun thing to see.

I can post some pictures of things if you would like, I could also reach out to the girl I lived with if that will help!

Thanks oceansoftravels for your first-hand experiences. Someday I'd like to visit.

No need to reach out to your host. Were you an exchange student, or there on holiday?

Thanks oceansoftravels for your first-hand experiences. Someday I'd like to visit.

No need to reach out to your host. Were you an exchange student, or there on holiday?

I was on a cultural immersion trip through Greece and Italy, so in a way a bit of both. But more on the student end. Such a great experience, I've been invited back for a visit and I'd love to go back! You will enjoy Siracusa!

Yes. We were there on Journey (with midwestchick) in 2014. I think this was one of the nicest Italian towns to wonder about. We could have spent another day there just walking and taking it all in.

Yes. We were there on Journey (with midwestchick) in 2014. I think this was one of the nicest Italian towns to wonder about. We could have spent another day there just walking and taking it all in.

Hey Sabbo...nice to see you here. Any future Azamara cruises planned?

Our guest blogger, Lee Abbamonte, has written "How to Spend a Day in Siracusa, Sicily."

This is a new destination for me. Have you been?

Hi Bonnie,

Though we're currently on a leave of absence from Azamara, I thought I'd respond to this.

We toured Sicily in the early 90s in our own car (lived in Italy) and found it to be a spectacular island. Agree with Midwestchick that it could form the basis for a whole itinerary.

Unfortunately we didn't have the time for Siracusa in the early 90s, so when the Quest docked in Messina a few years ago (for Taormina for most on board; we'd already been, even spent the night), we elected to rent a car from Hertz (near the port) and drove to Siracusa. It was worth it!! We were able to spend several hours there before the return trip, and we always leave lots of time to return to a port. :)

This trip would only be advised for the adventuresome, who might have already visited Taormina, but it could be an option. We often rent cars in ports in Europe (and sometimes elsewhere ;) ).

FWIW,

Bruce

thanks for your input! We've just moved to Tucson- Saddlebrooke- and love it!

Hi Laurie,

There's a lot to love, but record summer heat the last few days is not one of them. Sad that several have died trying to hike in the record heat.

We live near Sabino Canyon, quite a distance from you.

Bruce