Quality of "Land Discovery" excusions

dd214

We are considering booking a AZ Med cruise for 10-2017. Included in the price is a $400 OBC that can only be used for "land Discovery" excursions.

We have been cruising since 1990, but we have not taken a ships excursion since 2008(I don't know what took so long). It got old to book and excursion to a garden or other site, and spend half of the time shopping.

How is the quality of AZ's excursions. I downloaded their brochure, and it will not take but one or two days to spend $400 on their excursions.

Additionally, there was a thread about the current offer which seemed to just die. It was about whether or not the the $400 could truly "only" be used for "land discovery" or if it might be used for ships restaurants, etc.

Yes or No?

thanks

Most of Azamaras excursions are identical to the offerings in that port from Celebrity in our experience. However, sometimes the bus is less full. Guides are variable, many still consider they are there to run a party bus, however others are good. I think that it would be OK using Celebrity's outline itineraries but that Azamara should be setting and proactively monitoring much higher standards for delivery (numbers, standard of guide etc). I'd also like to see better informed staff onboard.

The insider access trips are unique to Azamara, their standard we have found to be variable they do have potential to be better experiences generally.

Your OBC will depend on how you got it, Azamara really have confused things now with two types of credit. The figure $400 does sound like it's one of the booking incentives ones so is restricted to land discoveries only.

You cannot book any excursions involving OBC until you are onboard so if it was something you really really wanted you will need to book and pay for it by other ways or take the risk it is still available once you board.

----or take the risk it is still available once you board.

This I find to be possibly a loose, loose situation.

We once pre booked an excursion to a 'Lau' in Hawaii. When we boarded Celebrity Century, there was a note in the cabin informing us that the excursion had been cancelled, due to lack of interest.

How can Azamara plan with the excursion companies, if there is no interest from passengers prior to sailing?

This I find to be possibly a loose, loose situation.

We once pre booked an excursion to a 'Lau' in Hawaii. When we boarded Celebrity Century, there was a note in the cabin informing us that the excursion had been cancelled, due to lack of interest.

How can Azamara plan with the excursion companies, if there is no interest from passengers prior to sailing?

We also had problems with booking shore excursions, because some were cancelled because of lack of interest, the others we didn't want to book because of the inflated prices - why should I pay 100/200 $ for an excursion costing half or less of that when booking it outside the ship . For example we used the same boat to Delos as ALL the other groups that had booked the Delos excursion on either the Journey or Celebrity Reflection . We didn't have a guide but paid about a quarter (26 Euros) and didn't have to follow in the groups' wake. What they were told I had already heard in history lessons 50 years ago ;) ...

On the other hand it really depends on the itinerary - we tend to book shore excursions ( with or without OBC) when in a place where it is either difficult or dangerous to organize something on your own. And some of these tours have been really good, too., with knowledgeable guides. But in general we are not too fond of Azamara's excursions because they could be more innovative and/or more interesting.

We booked our cruise early and had $800.00 worth of OBC to be used for Land Discoveries. I was very unhappy about this but luckily there was a new sale and we were able to reduce the cruise fare which caused us to lose all of those OBC. I am happy. We lost about $1300.00 worth of OBC and other things but saved $2000.00. Maybe take a chance on a sale coming up.

The quality of ship's tours, in our experience and not surprisingly, often reflects the tourist infrastructure of the country visited and cannot just be ascribed to the cruise line itself.

On our cruise in the Eatern Med last fall, the guides in Turkish ports were uniformally exceptionally good. For example, in Ephesus at the Terrace Houses, we had the services of an archaeologist who had been on the site for over 30 years.

In general, this may have been the result of the immediate feedback on these tours in the form of a questionnaire that, as I understood it, was relayed to the Turkish government office in charge of licencing.

At the Greek ports, the quality was much more variable. An earlier poster mentions guides in Delos reiterating what was learned in history class over 30 years ago. This is a common failing when guides get to the "history" part which they may present as "one darn thing after another". Absent themes and interpretation that is not "history", but I must assume that is what some participants are looking for.

However, I must also say that our "private" tours, even those highly rated, have not all been exemplary, and there are a number of reasons why we might still opt for ship's tours.

I also enjoy some of the MP3 tours that one can download, using them as previews and reviews. My wife is not such a fan.

We also had problems with booking shore excursions, because some were cancelled because of lack of interest, the others we didn't want to book because of the inflated prices - why should I pay 100/200 $ for an excursion costing half or less of that when booking it outside the ship . For example we used the same boat to Delos as ALL the other groups that had booked the Delos excursion on either the Journey or Celebrity Reflection . We didn't have a guide but paid about a quarter (26 Euros) and didn't have to follow in the groups' wake. What they were told I had already heard in history lessons 50 years ago ;) ...

On the other hand it really depends on the itinerary - we tend to book shore excursions ( with or without OBC) when in a place where it is either difficult or dangerous to organize something on your own. And some of these tours have been really good, too., with knowledgeable guides. But in general we are not too fond of Azamara's excursions because they could be more innovative and/or more interesting.

But if you are using OBC for a tour you are not paying, you are getting something for nothing. We took the view that we would use our OBC on a tour we would not otherwise have done, because of its cost, so in Mumbai did the tour with the included lunch at the Taj Mahal hotel. Without OBC we would never have considered this, but we're glad we did it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We also have a $400 OBC which can only be used to book excursions on our cruise May 2017 to Petra, Eilat.

As we can't buy any excursions with the $400 until we board, I'm trying to decide what I should buy now. I would hate to miss the Petra excursion if I waited until we boarded and then found it was sold out!

Has anyone done the ship organised tours to Petra and Luxor? Worth the $$$$$$?

We also have a $400 OBC which can only be used to book excursions on our cruise May 2017 to Petra, Eilat.

As we can't buy any excursions with the $400 until we board, I'm trying to decide what I should buy now. I would hate to miss the Petra excursion if I waited until we boarded and then found it was sold out!

You are on the cruise I am on next May. We actually do the trip in the reverse direction in October and have the Petra excursion booked through Azamara. I can let you know how it goes after then, however I would say personally that is a part of the world where I will always tend to use the cruise line offering. We booked and paid for it before we became aware of the changed rule that I could not cancel and rebook onboard and use OBC but have left the booking intact for now as like you I did not want to risk not getting the date and time I wanted.

In that part of the world, so much could happen and having some of the comforts provided through Azamara's guarantees matter to me.

We used Azamara excursions in Israel for the same reason and were very happy with the arrangements on that overnight trip. (I know you are asking about a different trip but it is just a context).

Edited by uktog

We have taken the same view as you. We have $400 OBC for excursions only. We definitely want to do Petra and prefer the ship's tour to make sure we get back on time - as its 2 hours drive. We have booked and paid for it now to make sure we get on it. Still thinking about Luxor - it's a very long drive!

We have taken the same view as you. We have $400 OBC for excursions only. We definitely want to do Petra and prefer the ship's tour to make sure we get back on time - as its 2 hours drive. We have booked and paid for it now to make sure we get on it. Still thinking about Luxor - it's a very long drive!

I don't know how long a drive you are talking about, but Luxor is spectacular-- you should go!

I am trying to figure out my budget before booking the Mediterranean cruise. Can anyone give me a ballpark number on the average cost I will be looking at

Thanks

You can download a Land Discovery brochure that will list the excursions (with prices) for your cruise. Look for it at https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/book-land-discoveries

The price will vary by tour $70 to $3000 for overnight tours. Generally most day tours are in the $100-200 range, but there are no generalities!

No, it's not clear on the invoice. It depends what you got it for. If it's early booking benefit OBC, then that can only be spent on excursions and they can't be booked beforehand.

If it was from a TA, then you need to ask the TA.

We have just completed a B2B (post Quest dry dock) and the second leg was Dubai to Athens. Petra is absolutely amazing and so is the drive there. We did the ships excursion, which we were very happy with. We didn't book any excursions until we were onboard due to OBC and got all the ones we requested with no issues. I never heard of anyone missing out on any excursions the whole trip, including Petra nor was I aware any were cancelled. The benefit of booking private in Petra was I believe, they beat the crowds (but we hardly called it crowded) and the heat of the day.

There were a number of people that we met who, due to health reasons or personal preference, booked private cars everywhere and in no places (even India) did they experience any delays upon planned return times to the ship. We booked a private tour in Haifa to Jerusalem and Bethlehem because when I was planning Azamara was slow to release the ship's tours for there, we weren't sorry at all. In no way, shape or form did we fell our security was compromised on either the ships or private tours at that stage. It's just my thoughts.

Edited by aussie travel bird

How do you know if OBC is just for excursions? Is there a note on the invoice?

Thanks for any help

Right now the only OBC that is restricted to Land Discoveries tours is our Early Booking Benefit (EBB).

The good news I've just received:

"Our invoices currently make a general mention of OBC and the amount.

We will update that to include a note that an EBB-OBC can only be used for Land Discoveries."

Another example of this CC Community helping us improve our product communications!

I thought the Like, Love, Adore packages had OBC included that was restricted to only land excursions, also. That was the main reason I didn't look at one of those when they were offered.

ETA: Petra is NOT to be missed if you have the opportunity to see it!

Edited by Pam

Hi Pam,

Our Like, Adore, Love on-board packages are a way to save 30%-35% on the on-board experiences you anticipate purchasing.

The various components have been listed separately. So while the Land Discoveries credit of $300 pp is listed separately, there are other elements also included in the all-inclusive price which are listed separately (spa, internet, beverage package, laundry, chef table.) Each package is a bit different.

For example here's the mid-range Adore Package:

ADORE

• Unlimited Internet for two devices ($540 USD value)

• Land Discoveries onboard credit of $300 USD per person/ $600 USD per stateroom
  • Top Shelf Liquor Package ($18.95 USD per person/per day)
  • One bag of laundry during the voyage ($30 USD value)
  • $300 USD spa credit per stateroom
  • Chef’s Table for two ($190 USD value)

Value of $2,000 USD/stateroom but you pay just $1,300 USD—that’s a savings of 35%!

Hi Pam,

Our Like, Adore, Love on-board packages are a way to save 30%-35% on the on-board experiences you anticipate purchasing.

The various components have been listed separately. So while the Land Discoveries credit of $300 pp is listed separately, there are other elements also included in the all-inclusive price which are listed separately (spa, internet, beverage package, laundry, chef table.) Each package is a bit different.

For example here's the mid-range Adore Package:

ADORE

• Unlimited Internet for two devices ($540 USD value)

• Land Discoveries onboard credit of $300 USD per person/ $600 USD per stateroom
  • Top Shelf Liquor Package ($18.95 USD per person/per day)
  • One bag of laundry during the voyage ($30 USD value)
  • $300 USD spa credit per stateroom
  • Chef’s Table for two ($190 USD value)

Value of $2,000 USD/stateroom but you pay just $1,300 USD—that’s a savings of 35%!

Is the price the same regardless of the length of the cruise?

Bonnie, I'm sorry; I wasn't totally clear with my statement at all. I did look at each item in the breakdown, to see if the end product would work for me. I am traveling solo and am not in the age bracket for strenuous exploring anymore. For my cruise, the land discoveries seem to be loading a few at a time, and I couldn't do a lot of the ones that were offered at the time the packages were offered.

If I could have used the OBC for what *I* actually anticipated purchasing, I probably would have bought one.

Edited by Pam