Gratuities paid

djwingy

How do we really know all gratuities we pay really go to all employees and not lining corporate bosses pockets, its all about maximising profits with them and funding new ships

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Forums mobile app

Again?

I guess you didn't get that the last time you tried this subject it was removed.

I believe that all gratuities go to the proper recipients because that's what's been said by the "powers that be" on each cruise line. If you don't like the way you think a business operates, don't patronize the business.

If a cruise line isn't profitable, it goes out of business. If you really dig into the cruise line business, you will find they were hit hard by 9/11 and the recession, so they made major cuts and lost money for a number of years. Yes, they are profitable now, but they are quite likely paying back loses and loans that piled up. Just because they have been profitable for a handful of years, doesn't mean there wasn't financial damage that needs repair after the bad years.

New ships are part of getting healthier, financially, and new ships are very expensive- getting close to $1 billion each for the mega ships. That money comes from somewhere. Small ships are severely challenged breaking even, so the small ships that are out there tend to be older (most, not absolutely all). Older ships have higher maintenance and operation costs.

As mentioned, your previous thread on this topic got pulled. Do you have evidence to suggest the increased mandatory "tips" are not going to the staff?

How do we really know all gratuities we pay really go to all employees and not lining corporate bosses pockets, its all about maximising profits with them and funding new ships

You obviously have a problem with corporations and absolutely no concept of what it takes to run a business and provide a valued service to customers. So why not build your own boat and sail it around the world.

Yes - and all the crew is forced to work without receiving their compensation, which is why they continue to voluntarily renew their contract options to maintain their non-paid employment with the cruise lines. Makes perfect sense to me! How insightful to recognize the well kept secret scandal that the gratuity stream is the main funding source for keeping the cruise lines afloat! :rolleyes:

In a world so influenced by social media, you'd know it if any large scale employer was cheating it's employees in such an obvious way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In a world so influenced by social media, you'd know it if any large scale employer was cheating it's employees in such an obvious way.

Indeed [emoji849] http://www.itv.com/news/2016-12-16/tv-chef-michel-roux-jr-scraps-tips-after-he-reveals-13-service-charge-goes-to-restaurant/

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=GrumpyNormanG&date=5-6-2017&text=&ship=Nieuw Amsterdam

What's it to you? I don't go to my local grocery tore and ask them how much they make, when their next pay raise is, bonus or anything else. It is none of my business. Nor is it yours. If you don't like the policy then, well, too bad. I also don't go into my favorite restaurant and ask about their tipping policy. If they don't want to work there or on a cruise ship then quit.

If you are looking for an excuse not to pay your tips then shame on you. If that is really your goal then what is the point off coming on a cruise website to ask any question that you already know the answer to.

By the way, would you mind explaining to us how you get paid and how we really know you get paid that way. Please include your pay rate and proof of what you are telling us. Wait you say! It's none of our business what you make. Right back at ya!

ADDING: Interesting. You put down in your profile you were born in 1939 and now you are in your 30s. Also since you are from the UK this is clearly your way of justifying not tipping. You are a horrible traveler if you refuse to adapt to the culture of where you are. I bet you scream loud and long about how everyone who tips when the come to the UK are ruining your country. So you want us to keep your culture and you don't want to do it yourself.

First time cruisers in our thirties travelling down from Bolton, Lancashire day before with our 3 and 6 year olds (god help us) We have 5 night dinner packaged book to the specialty restaurant's...

So long story short to guarantee employees get all the gratitude hand it to them in the envelopes provided?

What's it to you? I don't go to my local grocery tore and ask them how much they make, when their next pay raise is, bonus or anything else. It is none of my business. Nor is it yours. If you don't like the policy then, well, too bad. I also don't go into my favorite restaurant and ask about their tipping policy. If they don't want to work there or on a cruise ship then quit.

If you are looking for an excuse not to pay your tips then shame on you. If that is really your goal then what is the point off coming on a cruise website to ask any question that you already know the answer to.

By the way, would you mind explaining to us how you get paid and how we really know you get paid that way. Please include your pay rate and proof of what you are telling us. Wait you say! It's none of our business what you make. Right back at ya!

ADDING: Interesting. You put down in your profile you were born in 1939 and now you are in your 30s. Also since you are from the UK this is clearly your way of justifying not tipping. You are a horrible traveler if you refuse to adapt to the culture of where you are. I bet you scream loud and long about how everyone who tips when the come to the UK are ruining your country. So you want us to keep your culture and you don't want to do it yourself.

First time cruisers in our thirties travelling down from Bolton, Lancashire day before with our 3 and 6 year olds (god help us) We have 5 night dinner packaged book to the specialty restaurant's...

Sorry was not born 1939, I have updated my details now

So long story short to guarantee employees get all the gratitude hand it to them in the envelopes provided?

Then you might be shortchanging others covered by the hotel service charges, whcih arfe spread over some people who help you, but are really tipped. Like the waiters/waitresses in the Lido buffet on many cruise lines.

On RCI, at least, you have to ask for envelopes of you wish to pay extra - they are not handed out. Gratuities are either prepaid or charged daily to your on board SeaPass account. You can request to have the daily gratuities removed to be paid in cash and the individuals who are part of the gratuity system will be made aware that you have removed their automatic payment. But then what guarantee does the crew then that they will be paid at all by the person removing them from their account?

And what makes you question in the first place whether or not they receive them? Do you honestly think they would continue their employment with the cruise lines if they didn't? Would you continue your employment if you were't paid? Sorry but it is a pointless debate IMO. And as other have suggested, just ask them on your next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On RCI, at least, you have to ask for envelopes of you wish to pay extra - they are not handed out. Gratuities are either prepaid or charged daily to your on board SeaPass account. You can request to have the daily gratuities removed to be paid in cash and the individuals who are part of the gratuity system will be made aware that you have removed their automatic payment. But then what guarantee does the crew then that they will be paid at all by the person removing them from their account?

And what makes you question in the first place whether or not they receive them? Do you honestly think they would continue their employment with the cruise lines if they didn't? Would you continue your employment if you were't paid? Sorry but it is a pointless debate IMO. And as other have suggested, just ask them on your next cruise.

I have also heard that on some lines (I believe RCI and Celebrity at least) if someone asks to remove the gratuities from their account and then pays cash tips to selected crew members, those crew members are then required to turn in the cash so that it can be pooled just as the regular charged gratuities are pooled - thus defeating your purpose for removing the automatic gratuities!

Sorry was not born 1939, I have updated my details now

And now you are no longer born in Bolton Lancashire but Oak Park CA. Man, you ARE confused.

And now you are no longer born in Bolton Lancashire but Oak Park CA. Man, you ARE confused.

Stalker alert

Very true once someone has left their employer they would spill the beans if they had been wronged.

Suspicious credentials and post.Is this genuine?.

Good answer.

Stalker alert

Not in the least. It is just highly unlikely you live in the same small town I live in. You started out living in the UK. I looked at your profile. Hardly stalking. You were talking about tips so I looked to see where you lived since this issue comes up a lot from UK people.

I quote: First time cruisers in our thirties travelling down from Bolton, Lancashire day before with our 3 and 6 year olds (god help us) We have 5 night dinner packaged book to the specialty restaurant's...

Then your age was off in your profile.

Now you say in live in my very own small town. Considering I have never come across anyone else on CC living here I find it odd that you moved all the way from the UK to my very own tiny town. Mine. The person who is challenging you being a troll on tipping. Let's face it. It was a rookie move to change your home town to mine just to be annoying. I find your juvenile actions, well, juvenile.

So, what brought you to Oak Park? The rolling hills, the great shopping, the skyscrapers, cheap housing, the theaters, the schools, easy access to public transportation. Many people move here for one of the above. Do tell? All the way from the UK with your two children to small town Oak Park USA.

Are you sure you aren't the 6 year old?

• 2 weeks later...

I had kind of wondered the same thing also. Maybe I am just suspicious. I wasn't going to forgo tipping, but I was wondering if it would be better to tip with cash rather than make them wait for it to come in a check. Then I wasn't sure about about the employee losing a portion of the cash due to currency exchange so I decided it would be better to tip through the cruise line.