Steam room relaxation

Just wanted to make sure it's custom for everyone to be naked while in the steam/sauna? Saw a couple of guys last cruise come in from the gym fully clothed.

There's a range of what you will see on board ship in my experience. Typically, most guys come in the steam room/sauna wearing a towel, and most leave it on. Some open their towel or lay it out and lie down on it. Some guys come in in bathing suits (often those who aren't familiar with saunas), and sometimes they will see everyone in towels and go change.

On rare occasions I've seen guys on board ship come into the sauna from the gym fully clothed. On land (at our gym), this is a very common thing, and it puzzles me why they would want to get all hot in their gym clothes. Some will even do stretches/exercises in the sauna, which is a real annoyance to those who are in there to relax.

• 4 weeks later...
Just wanted to make sure it's custom for everyone to be naked while in the steam/sauna? Saw a couple of guys last cruise come in from the gym fully clothed.

It's custom in the US to be fully clothed. Save the nudeness for European Cruises.

• 3 weeks later...
Cruising on Liberty of Seas this year.

Please can anyone explain location of Sauna / steam room and whether there is a charge for these facilities ?

Thanks.

I've been on Freedom of the Seas, same class as Liberty. The sauna/steam room are located in the men's locker room in the fitness center. There is no charge for use of these facilities. If you would like to use a locker, you exchange your seapass for a key at the spa reception desk, then go one deck down to the fitness center and enter the locker room. There is a restroom, locker/dressing area, showers, and the sauna and steam room. Towels are provided, and the showers have shampoo and body wash.

The sauna and steam room on these ships are of a decent size. The sauna will have a faucet and bucket/ladle for those who like to pour water on the stones. If you find either room is not hot enough, you can mention it at the reception desk. On most of the cruises I've taken, it's usually hotter in the steam room than not, though sometimes the sauna is not that warm.

I was on Liberty of the Seas a few weeks ago. CntPAcruiser is correct that Freedom and Liberty have the same set up.

The conditions on my cruise: steam room did not work at all for 2 of the 7 days.

The dry sauna was not very hot and was the same temperature for the entire cruise. When the steam room was working, it was hot, but there was very little steam, so it was more of a hot humid room.

The keys to the lockers are difficult to use and the locks many times won't lock.

Most guys just put their things in a locker and didn't bother with the key.

Hi, David,

Thanks for the further information specific to LOS. I've found the same problem in most locker rooms on Royal's ships--keys aren't available, locks don't work, etc. When we were on Vision in January, I asked the Diamond Concierge if he could find out why there were only about 6 working keys/locks in the men's locker room. Next thing I knew, there were 3 maintenance guys in the locker room figuring out which locks worked and had keys, and suddenly the situation improved greatly!

As for the steam room being only tepid, if you can find the sensor, sometimes a liberal application of cold water will get the steam rolling out. (The sensor is usually a small metal rod sticking out of the wall somewhere near the door.) If not, then I ask someone in the fitness center to see about getting it working. This may also apply for the sauna.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Do you think a man or woman could use coed sauna or steam wrapped in a towel, no bathing suit? Is that a total no no ? Fairly certain a woman did this on Med cruise a couple years ago. All the essentials were covered.

I don't recall if it actually states anywhere in writing on Royal Caribbean ships that have a thermal suite (which is mixed sexes) that bathing suits must be worn, but I believe that is the case.

Depending on who is present, however, I expect that one could "get away with" wearing just a towel. Certainly, Europeans are quite used to mixed-sex saunas where men and women sauna naked, sitting on their towel, and not covered. But that is not the case on Oasis and Allure in the thermal suite.

I've always wondered if different cruise lines have busier or less busy sauna / steam room. For example, Disney doesn't get used much vs. princess etc...

Anyone been on multiple cruise lines to compare?