Lobster Rolls

Living4acruise2day

Of you want a decent Lobster Roll you need to go to New England. If you want Conch Chowder or decent Key Lime Pie...you will do fine in Key West. What they call "lobster" in Florida/Caribbean would not even make the trash bin in New England. That being said, there is a restaurant near 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale...called Kelly's Landing. It is owned by an ole New England guy who flies in his lobster from New England, knows how to make proper chowders...and sells an excellent Lobster Roll. So if you are cruising out of Ft Lauderdale....just spend a pre cruise night at the Embassy Suites and walk a couple of blocks to Kelly's Landing where you can sample a real lobster roll.

Hank

Of you want a decent Lobster Roll you need to go to New England. If you want Conch Chowder or decent Key Lime Pie...you will do fine in Key West. What they call "lobster" in Florida/Caribbean would not even make the trash bin in New England. That being said, there is a restaurant near 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale...called Kelly's Landing. It is owned by an ole New England guy who flies in his lobster from New England, knows how to make proper chowders...and sells an excellent Lobster Roll. So if you are cruising out of Ft Lauderdale....just spend a pre cruise night at the Embassy Suites and walk a couple of blocks to Kelly's Landing where you can sample a real lobster roll.

Hank

Thanks Hank. I have been to Kelly's at least 3 times, and yes, you are correct. It is wonderful! We will not be in Ft. Lauderdale this time. Sailing out of Miami. Thanks for the tip on the Conch Chowder! First time in Key West. :)

Perhaps it would not be my first choice either, but that is where I will be! Almost every review I read, gave it 5 stars.

Exactly and neither of the above posters have been to DJ's so how could they comment on the food quality?

The two owners are from New England and know what they are doing. They have a very limited menu but they do what they do very well.

I was hesitant myself until I went the first time; but now DJ's is high on my lunchtime list.

Please come back and give us your thoughts after visiting.

Mike:)

Exactly and neither of the above posters have been to DJ's so how could they comment on the food quality?

The two owners are from New England and know what they are doing. They have a very limited menu but they do what they do very well.

I was hesitant myself until I went the first time; but now DJ's is high on my lunchtime list.

Please come back and give us your thoughts after visiting.

Mike:)

I promise! :)

Actually, having vacationed on Key West a few times, we've been to DJ's - I like the conch fritters, mahi mahi tacos, garlic shrimp, etc.

I guess my point was if I was going somewhere, I'd opt for more local specialties - sorta like going to China and stopping somewhere for fried chicken because the restaurateurs are from the Southern US and know what they are doing.

But....its no biggy - eat what ya like and like what ya eat!