Do it on your own in Moorea???

envy4u

Looking for ideas from others who have been. We do not like ship tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rent a car and do the day in your own. Plenty to do and see as long as it's not a Sunday. AVIS and Alberts are the choices. That's what I do. You will get plenty of opinions here. Depends on what you want to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks.

Like hiking, beaches and snorkelling.

Not a hiker. Not sure where you can go on your own. If you rent a car you can drive to a great beach with decent snorkeling. The best snorkeling though you would need to find some kind of tour company. Or save the snorkeling for Bora Bora.

What's the name of the beach you recommend ?

Tamae beach. Never have I seen it crowded other than lunch time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309685-d1052299-Reviews-Temae_Beach-Moorea_Society_Islands.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done a hotel day pass on Moorea? Hilton has been recommended but we cannot get a response from them by email.

That is odd. I just got a more or less immediate response from them ( given the time difference ). I believe I went to the actual Hilton Moorea Lagoons website and used the "contact us" link to email them and inquired if a reservation for day pass was possible or must we just arrive day of and inquire. I received an email back from Jeanny Semilla in Guest Services saying that they would be glad to reserve for us and she sent a print out of the Day Pass Info.

I had read that no advance reservations were done and that it was not a problem to simply arrive and inquire at the front desk, but I do not like to leave things to chance. I have read some very good things about the Hilton Lagoon snorkeling, especially from a blog done by avid snorkelers who have returned there several times.

Current pricing for the Day Pass is 9.000xpf per person. We can pay the day of by credit card. This includes access to pool and beach, towels and snorkel equipment, an a la carte lunch, (meal plus dessert and soft drink or draft beer), 10% spa discount. 50% off kids under 6.

You might mention it if you are members of their Hilton Honors loyalty program. We are, and I did mention this, but I don't know if it made any difference.

• 2 months later...

We both stayed on Moorea for 3 nts. before boarding our ship back in Papeete AND revisited on a port stop a week later. Driving there is very easy and you will have no problem if you decide to rent a car & drive around the island. Most people would find going up to the high mt. lookout and probably just look around on your drive, have lunch, visit a beach. We were able to walk right onto a couple of nice hotel beaches, though we were just looking around at the hotels, etc., one afternoon and didn't try to hang out at their beaches. (Of course, I wouldn't try that carrying some bag with Royal Caribbean written on the side of it and wearing a cruise lanyard around your neck ;).) On the other hand, we waited until our ship berthed in Moorea for a particular excursion out to a picnic on a motu and a beach stop, along with snorkel stops. The guides on that particular excursion - can't think of the name offhand - were married and both marine biologists with lots of experience. One or both had studied under Jacques Cousteau, so it was a fabulous experience. We saw some whales - and even a mamma with a baby whale! So think it over and decide what it is you think you'd enjoy MOST. Moorea is actually quite beautiful - esp. from the water! Only Bora Bora has a more heavenly silhouette in French Polynesia IMO.

• 2 weeks later...